Good wireless router for Wii?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I have a Netgear WGR614V6 router that's worked great for my internet for a few years. I just got a Wii two weeks ago, and I can't connect it to the wireless. Nintendo.com says that my specific router should work, but that in order to do so "specific changes" must be made. The only one they list is that I have to set it to broadcast in "b and g." I've done that, as well as changed the channel to 11 (and also tried 1), and tinkered with a few other things, but haven't had much success.

So, I'm looking for one of two things----either some gracious general advice on how to connect my Wii and router, or thoughts on cheap but good routers that are good for both the Wii and for general internet use. I've read that the Linksys WRT54G is good for Wii, but it gets mixed reviews on Amazon (Amazon.com: Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router: Electronics).

Thanks a million! I need to play my brother and others at Mario Kart online!!! ;)

I'm not really into the Wii and I bought one of the cheapest routers I could find three years ago, but ours has worked flawlessly and it's a D-Link. Not sure of the exact model (too dark under the end table), but it's just a cheap 4-port. We have a password protected network that does broadcast its SSID. All I did was tell the Wii to find networks, select ours, and enter the password. Phil has been playing with his siblings and some random people in Japan.

It might be the same problem the DS wifi has, the security settings..
DS only works on WEP keys, not WPA... perhaps your security is set as WPA and it can't get in that? :hmm:

I was ready to ask this same question, but as it turns out, my Wii picks up my neighbor's wireless signal, so I don't need to get a router of my own.

I have the Linksys WRT54G router and it was super easy to set up with the wii and has worked flawlessly so far (knocks on wood)

Which version do you have? I've read some reviews that the newest version--version8---is a bit buggy. Still, for only $30-40, I'm probably going to try this one. I have a $50 circuit city gift card, so there's not much too lose.

It might be the same problem the DS wifi has, the security settings..
DS only works on WEP keys, not WPA... perhaps your security is set as WPA and it can't get in that? :hmm:

I'm set on WEP and plugged the key into the Wii. :shrug: I dunno.

I got the Linksys WRT54G2 today, and it worked like a charm! Whereas I spent hours trying to get my old Netgear to work, this one connected to my Wii in seconds! :drool:

Back
Top Bottom