Getting more disk space on Windows on Macbook help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galeongirl

Galeonbroad
First things first, I'd kindly appreciate it if people wouldn't give me snarky comments for using Windows on a Macbook. :wink: I need it for school stuff and I'm too lazy to switch completely to mac.

While I've been using Bootcamp on my Macbook(latest, bought in october) without problems for ages, I've now reached the biggest problem. I've reached the maximum disk capacity of 32 gigabyte. Due to the disk system you can only use FAT32 to format the windows partition, which is named 32 for a reason.

Now my friend told me that there should be some programs or so to actually be able to format to a different format so I can get a working partition with more disk space. Does anyone here have experience with that and can explain to me how to do that without me fucking up my macbook?

I have an external harddrive so reinstalling windows wouldn't be a problem. I just would like to have an equal split between both partitions, or at least 100 gig on my windows one!

Another small question: When I look at dark pictures and such, lately my screen is fucking up. It's kinda hard to explain but in the middle you just see small white dots rather than the black ones. Dead pixels? When I screencap it's not there so it's the screen. What's going on and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Wow that hurt my eyes. :crack:

Strangely enough the weird screen thing did not happen while watching that. Does that mean the pixels aren't dead?

It only happens when it's something really dark, near black. :huh: And only the middle part of my screen, about 4 cm wide or so..
it's like this:

But then black background whiteish dots..

Wow that hurt my eyes. :crack:

Strangely enough the weird screen thing did not happen while watching that. Does that mean the pixels aren't dead?

It only happens when it's something really dark, near black. :huh: And only the middle part of my screen, about 4 cm wide or so..
it's like this:

But then black background whiteish dots..

Like exactly where the light-up Apple logo is on the back of the screen?

I have no Idea how to fix it, but that would be my guess on a MacBook.

Mark

Like exactly where the light-up Apple logo is on the back of the screen?

I have no Idea how to fix it, but that would be my guess on a MacBook.

Mark

Yes! That's the spot, but it happens over the whole lenght of the screen(or would it be the width? At least from the top to the keyboard, if you get what I mean!)

Regarding the partitioning, it's easily possible to make a partition NTFS and thus larger than 32GB (although, as a side-note, FAT32 is named such not because of the 32GB upper cap, but because it was the first 32-bit version of FAT, shipping with... Jesus... Windows 95). I believe BootCamp will make a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB if you ask it to, although that partition will be useless if you actually try to use it... just re-format that partition as NTFS using the Windows XP installation. At least, I think that's how I ended up doing it, although my system's significantly more screwed up because I put a third operating system into the mix.

Wasn't there a problem with NTFS and mac? That it couldn't actually write on it? I think that the booklet said that you actually needed to have the FAT32 rather than the NTFS or you wouldn't be able to save anything on your partition. :uhoh: I really don't have a clue about these things!

Wasn't there a problem with NTFS and mac? That it couldn't actually write on it? I think that the booklet said that you actually needed to have the FAT32 rather than the NTFS or you wouldn't be able to save anything on your partition. :uhoh: I really don't have a clue about these things!

I use NTFS on my Mac without an issue. However, Windows is the only operating system that can use NTFS properly on a Mac. If you have FAT32, then Mac OS X can read/write to the file system; if you have NTFS, OS X can only read, not write (unless you apply some unstable hacks, but I don't recommend it).

I heard that, but what exactly does it mean? :reject: I am such a noob when it comes to hardware.

Not writing does that mean I can't save anything on the windows partition? Or does it mean when I go to the OSX partition I can't cross copy to the Windows one? The latter I could definitely live with, since I only use the Mac partition for separate stuff!
But if I can't save anything the whole partition would become pretty much useless.

I heard that, but what exactly does it mean? :reject: I am such a noob when it comes to hardware.

Not writing does that mean I can't save anything on the windows partition? Or does it mean when I go to the OSX partition I can't cross copy to the Windows one? The latter I could definitely live with, since I only use the Mac partition for separate stuff!
But if I can't save anything the whole partition would become pretty much useless.

Zee latter.

oh! Thanks, I'll do that then. If I want stuff from the mac partition on the windows one I can use the external HD anyway!

:D THanks for the great advice!

Thank you SHITLOADS Digi! :D I am now typing from a 170 GB partition.

:doh: I forgot one thing though, to back up all my msn icons. Ugh, adding them one by one is a pain.

Back
Top Bottom