General Video Game Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LeMaCattack,

Hopefully you saw the Bioshock 2 pic on the last page of the other thread.

Well, I changed it, for now. If people protest or have other suggestions, it can easily be changed again. :wink:

Can anyone recommend any good (ha) Mac games? Id like something Tomb Raider/Resident Evil/Silent Hill ish, but afaik, there are no RE/SHs, and only older TR games. :C

NLOTH album for GH/RB downloadable content plz! :pray:

:hi5:

Though I do keep wondering if we haven't seen a single U2 track on either franchise yet because they plan a U2 specific game. That certainly would be a blast for all of us fanatics.

resident-evil-5-20090108111046686_640w.jpg

RESIDENT EVIL 5!!!!!!!!

It's out today, and I just bought it this morning on the way to work. Can't wait to play it! :hyper:

I'll be buying it today as well. Melon, maybe we'll need to play some coop. :up:

I'll be buying it today as well. Melon, maybe we'll need to play some coop. :up:

I'd be up for it! By the way, I've never played an online multiplayer game of any kind--console or otherwise--so you'll have to fill me in on how to do it. :wink:

I should also point out that I'm heading out of town this weekend, so, depending on when I leave, it is actually quite conceivable that I won't even be able to play RE5 at all until Monday. :sad:

Do you have an actual Gold Account for Xbox Live? You need to "pay to play" for actual online multiplayer gaming. You likely got some sort of trial account (for 48 hours or a week or something) with your 360 though.

The mics that come with the system make a game like this pretty easy, as you can coordinate and such.

Do you have an actual Gold Account for Xbox Live? You need to "pay to play" for actual online multiplayer gaming. You likely got some sort of trial account (for 48 hours or a week or something) with your 360 though.

The mics that come with the system make a game like this pretty easy, as you can coordinate and such.

I had a 30-day free trial, which recently expired, but I can reinstate it soon. Actually, I would have earlier this week, but Microsoft's website had errors both times I tried...heh. Sounds like they have a pretty crappy system for payment on their end.

We should come up with a non-shitty name for this thread.

Looking at it now, this seems snarky as shit - sorry Khan :hi5:

I know, something awesome and generic like ALL VIDEOGAME TALK/DISCUSSION :up:

Do you guys want it changed to something like General Video Game Discussion?

Well, I changed it, for now. If people protest or have other suggestions, it can easily be changed again. :wink:

I like - it's much more descriptive than the last thread title, since the thread changed pretty quickly from what the original post was all about. :up:

I just started a new game of GTA4 after a long (since the fall) layoff. I can't believe I waited so long, this game is great. Hopefully the next major update in the series will also involve a Liberty City-style update of San Andreas, I liked the variety between the different cities/rural areas and choice of things to do in SA a lot more than the city-only environment.

I had a 30-day free trial, which recently expired, but I can reinstate it soon. Actually, I would have earlier this week, but Microsoft's website had errors both times I tried...heh. Sounds like they have a pretty crappy system for payment on their end.

Shoulda got a PS3 :whistle::wink:

Sweet Christmas, Gears 2 just keeps getting better and better. I just got done with the tank section and now I'm with Dom moving toward Nexus.

I think I know where the plot twist's going, but it's still a fun game nonetheless. I might actually prefer it to Halo as of right now, which was my defacto shoot-'em-up game.

I ended up having a few hours to play RE5 before I had to leave for the weekend, and I must say that it is quite fun. Anyone who enjoyed the action aspect of RE4 should love this game, and for those (like me) who are used to the RE4 controls, you can customize the settings to mimic those controls. I actually changed three settings, personally. One to change the controls to RE4-like settings, another to invert the Y-axis, and the last to change the aim responsiveness or whatever to "fastest," as the default is way too slow.

I will say, though, that if you loved the horror and puzzles of the earlier RE series that both of those seem to be gone entirely, although anyone who played RE4 likely saw it coming. I will say that the RE remake for GameCube is probably one of the scariest games I've ever played, and it's a pity that that experience will likely never be replicated in newer games. Still, RE4 & now 5 are a lot of fun in their own right, and I'm enjoying the ride considerably!

I am the proud owner of a new PS3. Feel free to add me as a friend (put your Interference username in the body of the message so I know who the fuck you are) :D

my username:
62787311.png

Soooooo, a friend (Audiophile) and I may or may not have played all the way through RE5 in coop already.....

:shh:

Really enjoyable. The game will forever be compared to 4 (which is unfair as 4 was a classic, yet understandable considering it really is a sequel to 4 in regards to both gameplay and plot). Seriously though, if you loved 4, I don't see how you won't get a great deal of satisfaction from 5 (unless you're ridiculously nitpicky and petty). Coop is an absolute blast. I put 3 or 4 hours into the game solo, and still had a great time, but coop makes the game considerably more enjoyable in my opinion. If you get the game, you really need to make an attempt to play coop, even if it's just with random people over Xbox Live or PSN.

There are some really impressive graphics in the game, certain areas are amazing. If you're a graphics whore, you'll enjoy it (though there are admittedly some nitpicky areas that obviously got less time on the graphics than the rest). Regardless, I'd say it's sitting pretty close to the top of the list for having some of the best graphics of this generation.

The core gameplay is admittedly quite similar to 4, but it's all bigger and really fun. You'll get in battles with huge amounts of characters, or sections where you straight up have no idea how you're ever going to pass it when you first see what you have to fight. The "rail shooing" type moments in the game were actually incredibly fun and some of the most memorable moments (instead of terrible, like in a lot of games). There are some obvious differences in gameplay in regards to your inventory and how it's handled in real time between the two of you, but it all seems to work out well in the game, and actually makes the game considerably more "tense". This inventory system also requires you to actually "cooperate" with your partner (even if you're playing it solo with the AI partner), which makes it more enjoyable and immersive as well. The enemies are fun, varied, and fit the setting. The claims of the game being "racist" seem ridiculous now when you actually play it. The bosses are pretty jaw droppingly cool, and quite fun as well.....until the end. There were a number of boss battles in the last bit of the game that were straight up annoying in how you had to kill them. It's not that the method to do it was bad, it's that it takes you multiple times of trial by error until you figure it out. There were a few I don't think I EVER would have figured out what I was supposed to do without looking online or just getting lucky. Both of us were quite frustrated during the last 3 hours or so of the game, as the bosses turn more to the really bad side of Japanese game development with trial by error, confusing gameplay choices, too many cut scenes, and repeated "you think he's dead, but he's not really dead!" segments. Admittedly a lot of that could have been because of how long we'd been playing, but I imagine a large number of people will feel the same way towards the end. It just seems really anti-climactic to have an absolutely stellar game become annoying and lose its fun factor for the last 20% of the game. It'll be interesting to play through it again, as maybe I'll think it's fun now that I know exactly what I need to do.

A couple items to nit pick: overall "scariness" and controls. This game isn't remotely scary. It's very intense, and there are moments that get the blood pumping because you're "scared" that you're going to die or not get a way, but you're never frightened from atmosphere. There aren't even any cheap "jumpy" moments. Compare it to other recent horror games like Dead Space (which was obviously modeled after RE4) or Condemned, and there's a night and day difference. Sure, RE4 wasn't all that scary either, but still leaned much farther in that direction than this did. It doesn't hurt the game, but it's disappointing in comparison to how the series used to feel. You need to expect an action game, not a horror game. And that leads me to the controls. They're adequate, and work fine in the game, but they're friggin' dated at this point and it'd be nice if Capcom actually got off of their high horse and looked at big Western 3rd person titles for at least a little inspiration.

Don't let my gripes worry you too much. Overall, it's a blast and another great episode of a classic franchise. If you're a fan of the series (particularly 4), I honestly don't know how you won't have a hell of a good time with this. As always, Capcom put a ton of value in the game: Around a 12-15 game on normal difficulty, massive amounts of unlockables (weapons, costumes, graphical filters, effects, characters, abilities, etc), the ability to play through the game again on higher difficulties with your upgraded inventory (finally!), different modes (Mercenaries in online coop after you finish the game!), tons of back story etc. etc. etc. I'm already looking forward to playing through it again on a harder difficulty, and putting some serious time into Mercenaries mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom