General Video Game Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
160 gig PS3 (with free Uncharted), Killzone 2, Blu-Ray remote, and Director's Cut of Watchmen on Blu-Ray purchased.

PSN Username = OkkervilRiver

You get to see visionary director Zack Snyder describe his film in real-time!

He's so dreamy.

I'm still a GOW2 player, let me make that clear.

I do not question this. Speaking of which, we need to play some of the rest of those maps. Or do the new campaign mission on coop.

I had enough time last night to hook the PS3 up, go through the initial set up, download some huge update, setup the PSN online stuff, change to another theme, download an update for Killzone, and then play Killzone for about 15 minutes. Then went to SLC and had dinner with some friends an hung out (and watched director's cut of Mann's Miami Vice). Killzone looked good from what I saw, but there was so much shooting going on that I didn't really even have a chance to notice if the graphics were anything better than what I've seen on 360 or not. Will have to give the PS3 further time today. If the graphics and Blu-Ray aren't everything Elfa said they are, Ima come to his house with a flame thrower and torch his 30+ cats.

He's so dreamy.

I do not question this. Speaking of which, we need to play some of the rest of those maps. Or do the new campaign mission on coop.

I had enough time last night to hook the PS3 up, go through the initial set up, download some huge update, setup the PSN online stuff, change to another theme, download an update for Killzone, and then play Killzone for about 15 minutes. Then went to SLC and had dinner with some friends an hung out (and watched director's cut of Mann's Miami Vice). Killzone looked good from what I saw, but there was so much shooting going on that I didn't really even have a chance to notice if the graphics were anything better than what I've seen on 360 or not. Will have to give the PS3 further time today. If the graphics and Blu-Ray aren't everything Elfa said they are, Ima come to his house with a flame thrower and torch his 30+ cats.

Miami Vice is an underrated film.

I'll be playing GOW tonight, I'm sure, as I'm still home sick.

Yeah, the PS3 better live up to Elfa's words or Elfa will soon utter his last words: "NSW, you have a chainsaw gun in real life? AHHHHHHH!"

Lance was right to sort of pressure me into re-watching that. Target usually has a pretty good selection of affordable non-new release Blu Rays, too. Then there's always Amazon.

I put Watchmen in for 15 mins or so last night, and it most definitely looks fantastic in Blu-Ray. Am I best trying to stick with "newer" movies for Blu-Ray in regards to having been filmed in HD, or are the Blu-Ray versions of old movies decent as well? I nawt no

In regards to Killzone 2, it looks amazing and is ridiculously addicting. I played waaaaay too much yesterday.

I wish I had a Blu Ray to pick up the restoration of North by the Northwest coming out this fall. Holy shit.

I put Watchmen in for 15 mins or so last night, and it most definitely looks fantastic in Blu-Ray. Am I best trying to stick with "newer" movies for Blu-Ray in regards to having been filmed in HD, or are the Blu-Ray versions of old movies decent as well? I nawt no

In regards to Killzone 2, it looks amazing and is ridiculously addicting. I played waaaaay too much yesterday.

i told you so.

I now have Killzone 2 in my possession - I just need to set up an online account, buy a douchey headset and practice a bit so I don't completely embarrass myself and we are ready to role.

Elfa, are you sporting one of the 2 Fallout 3 themes on your PS3? I don't even have the game for that console, and I immediately switched to a Fallout one when I saw they were available.

I find it humorous that I had an online account essentially an hour after buying the system, and YOU still don't have one! Add me as soon as you set yours up (that goes for whoever else here has a PS3, my gamertag is OkkervilRiver), I still have no friends on PSN, and it's really hurting my self-esteem. :wink:

To say that I like Killzone 2 would be an understatement. I only have a few levels left in the campaign, I played it a TON the last few days. I'd probably say it's the best looking game I've seen from a graphic stand point ever. It's a joy to just play through the game and look at all the eye candy. That all said, I've certainly played more enjoyable shooters. The controls are still a little wonky, and sometimes I feel like aiming makes shooting a little more difficult to hit anything, which really shouldn't be the case. Also, it sometimes seems like you can barely throw a grenade farther than about 15 feet, which can be really frustrating when you leave cover to throw one, only to see it not get anywhere near where you were trying to throw it (or worse, have it bounce back at you because you can't seem to angle it over an object). The good points far outweigh the bad though, and it's still a really tense and fun game. I haven't played multiplayer online yet, but I played with bots for 30 mins or so, and even that was surprisingly fun.

Haven't tried Uncharted yet. Put it in to download any updates that may exist (as I didn't want to have to wait for 30 minutes of updates before I could play the game like I did with Killzone and Pain). I did play Pain briefly (there was a code that came with the PS3 for a free download of the game). The tutorial was fun, but the main game got boring after messing with it for 15 mins or so.

The controller was really weird for me to get used to after playing original Xbox and 360 for so long. It just feels incredibly uncomfortable position wise for using the sticks, seems like it was made more for using the d-pad instead. I've heard PS fans say the same of 360 though, so it may just be one of those "whatever you're used to" type things. It probably doesn't help that the shooting controls seemed really odd in Killzone 2 from what all shooters are like on 360 (shooting with the right shoulder button on Killzone, melee with left shoulder button, crouch with left trigger, etc), so that may have added to the learning curve of the controller. Also, every time it says "X button" I hit where the X button is on the 360. I felt like a little kid having to look at the controller every time I'd get a visual cue as to what button to hit, as I had no idea where that button is on the controller. :laugh:

I didn't like the navigation of the menus on the PS3 at first, but now I'm used to it. Not sure which I prefer more between the two systems, each has their pro and cons.

Glad I bought the Blu-Ray player remote as you guys recommended. Watched Season 2 of Flight of the Conchords this weekend, and would have been instantly annoyed with having to use the controller. Haven't picked up a headset yet, will do that this week.

I use Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound headphones/headset for the 360, so it's annoying to have to play the PS3 over my TV speakers. There have been a few times in the game where I have no idea where I'm being shot at from, because I normally rely so much on surround sound on 360. I assumed I could use my headphones on PS3, as it just uses an optical cable for the surround sound, but I tried it once and it sounded crappy in comparison to how it sounds on the 360. Maybe I was using a wrong setting and should try again.

Those are my (likely boring) thoughts after a weekend with the system.

I'm glad you are enjoying it Scumbo and it's true, I've always had PS controllers so I find the XBox ones too big and cumbersome.

The sound issue is odd... I have mine connected via HDMI through my receiver and it sounds crystal clear.

Scumbo's connection works just fine for multi-player Horde, but ask him to play multi-player Execution or War Zone and he pees his pants.

That's because Gear's online code/hit detection for actual "vs multiplayer" is too weird for me (and I'm not the only one, as there are countless threads on every video game forum on earth complaining about it). You shoot at someone, it doesn't hit them. You have to "lead" them, as if you're shooting a shotgun at a far off goose. Each and every other multiplayer online game I have works perfectly. You shoot right at someone, it hits them. It often even makes me the host on a lot of the other games I have, and these are 16 player games, so my connection is not a problem. I just don't want to play a game that doesn't work in a way that makes sense, I'd rather go play something I find enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom