Gamers? Video Card Question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Philk?

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
Hi,
For those of you who play the computer games, I am wondering if you could answer a question.

If you could get any video card. ANY! No worries about cost or anything. What card would you get?

I'm thinking about getting a new one and really don't know. I mean, I'll do research and all, but if you play the newer games that require top notch video hardware, could you help me out?

Thanks,
Philk

Got Philk? said:
I forgot to mention I have the radeon 3550 right now. It works great for the sport games, but when it comes to Medal of Honor...or any other graphics based games...not so much.

"looks up radeon X1950 Pro:

well the Radeon x1950 Pro will have you set for this life and the one after....:wink:

Do you have an AGP or a PCI-e graphics card slot? How old's your computer?

Although price may not be an object, it'd be good to know what kind of system you have so I can recommend something that won't melt your power supply.

Canadiens1160 said:
Do you have an AGP or a PCI-e graphics card slot? How old's your computer?

Although price may not be an object, it'd be good to know what kind of system you have so I can recommend something that won't melt your power supply.

Ok, a friend built this for me, so it's not like a dell or HP. It is a PCI-express slot. The computer is a little over 1 year old. And the power supply I have to ask about. But it should be pretty close to top notch. What would u need to know about the power supply? So I can ask better questions?

How many watts is the power supply. Some of the top end Geforce cards tend to suck power like a mofo and require something upwards of 500 watts. If someone custom built it for you and threw in a PCI-e slot, you should be good to go honestly cause they know what they're doing.

So i'm gonna guess that the x1950 is better than the x 1350 right? CompUSA has no X1950, but they had the X1350. Not that I would need to go to CompUSA by any means.

I'm going to ask my friend some questions before buying, but I guess that would be a good question. Where would you recommend purchasing this lovely device?

I've been wanting to upgrade my video card, but I really shouldn't spend the money, and my power supply is only 200 watts, so I'd have to upgrade that too. Even cards I've seen that aren't all insanely spectacular (but would be a great improvement for me) call for a minimum of 250 watts. :mad: I've kind of gotten away from PC gaming anyway...but part of me thinks that's just because I got tired of the computer lagging. If I had a good system for it, I'd probably get the interest back. I also figure that my computer is 3 and a half years old, so...do I wanna sink in money for upgrades or just wait until I eventually get a new computer? Which will probably be for awhile, unless it just dies unexpectedly or something.

When I was strolling through Fry's about a month ago they had the Geforce 8800 on display. This guys is a monster! 768MB card! Went for about $600!

Anyway, once you narrow down your choices check the various online stores...you can actually get some good deals versus the stores.

I personally run a Geforce 6800GT and it has served it's purpose quite well :) Until I come across a game that doesn't consistantly run at 30 frames/sec min. while details are set to high, I'll stick with what I have.

I've heard a few praises for the Geforce 9600s. As for the 8800, it would be nice but it is definately overkill even for todays games.

xaviMF22 said:
ATI > Nvidia

believe it...ATI's cards are way better

I've been on the internet for about 3 hours and I am throughly confused. I am seeing alot of ATI Nvidia cards mentioned.

Never been into gaming much but probably would if I had a system to support it. In any case I'm just not sure which cards I should be keeping an eye out for even with just dvd/cdr burners etc. I don't need a package. I have monitor mouse keyboard etc.

Looking in the range of $500 to $800.00 I really have no idea what I want/what I need for just the music and videos.

So is ATI what I'm looking for?

Back
Top Bottom