fujifilm s9600 digital camera. worth getting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
fuji_s9600.jpg

A DSLR still seems like a huge price jump. I have a camera similar to this one, the Canon PowerShot Sx-IS. I have the original, S1, but I think now they are on the S3. I prefer Canon or Nikon so if I was going to get a camera like that, I'd get the Canon S3 instead. I'm very, very, very happy with the S1 and I'd like the S3 mainly for more megapixels, though personally I find anything above 5 or 6 very excessive and a waste of memory card space.

I wish a camera company would make cameras like Dell computers - you pick your specs and add-ons.

Liesje said:
A DSLR still seems like a huge price jump. I have a camera similar to this one, the Canon PowerShot Sx-IS. I have the original, S1, but I think now they are on the S3. I prefer Canon or Nikon so if I was going to get a camera like that, I'd get the Canon S3 instead. I'm very, very, very happy with the S1 and I'd like the S3 mainly for more megapixels, though personally I find anything above 5 or 6 very excessive and a waste of memory card space.

I thought U2Man posted that he was rich :wink:.
I think 8-10 MP comes in handy for shooting from a distance - I can zoom and crop. Memory cards are so cheap now - I've seen 2GB for under $20 on sale in a store. The S3 is a great choice - Canon offers good support for software, drivers, etc on their website.

ntalwar said:

I think 8-10 MP comes in handy for shooting from a distance - I can zoom and crop. Memory cards are so cheap now - I've seen 2GB for under $20 on sale in a store. The S3 is a great choice - Canon offers good support for software, drivers, etc on their website.

True, but even with my outdated 3.2 MP I can crop out half the photo and it looks fine printed. Greater than 6 megapixels seems overkill, especially on these cameras that already have a 10-12x optical zoom. With digital zoom, yeah you'd have to have better megapixels because the "zoom" itself is just cropping, but most people don't use digital zoom. Do they even have it on newer model cameras? I'm not sure. I'd just rather pay more for something other than 9 megapixels.

Liesje said:

True, but even with my outdated 3.2 MP I can crop out half the photo and it looks fine printed. Greater than 6 megapixels seems overkill, especially on these cameras that already have a 10-12x optical zoom. With digital zoom, yeah you'd have to have better megapixels because the "zoom" itself is just cropping, but most people don't use digital zoom. Do they even have it on newer model cameras? I'm not sure. I'd just rather pay more for something other than 9 megapixels.

I agree that overall image quality should be the deciding factor.
I owned a superzoom camera with a 12x optical lens before my Rebel XT, and the sharpness drops off quickly at the higher focal lengths (as is the case with most zoom lenses). I use a 85mm (f/1.8) prime lens half the time, and it's a lot sharper than any superzoom camera. I really need the 8 megapixels for distance shooting with it.

Back
Top Bottom