Frustrating Problem - Can't Open Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
My connections are working. I can get on any program (i.e.: AIM) that uses the Internet. Except for Internet Explorer itself. I double click on it, and nothing happens. I could wait an hour, it just doesn't respond. I try it in the Start Menu. Nothing. On the bottom bar. Nothing. What the hell is happening?

Do a ctrl+alt+delete go to processess and see if iexplore is running. If so, click it and then click "End Process". If that doesn't work, try to go to C-program files and fine the IE folder. Click it from in there. If that doesn't work, I got nothing, buddy. Sorry.

Do you have Vista? I ask b/c I am a laptop technician for a college and lately we've seen several Vista computers that for whatever reason no longer access the Internet on ANY network. They all get on AIM, iTunes store, MSN, their antivirus updates, Windows Updates run, etc, but you cannot browse in IE or FireFox.

The first thing I try is a System Restore back to when they can confirm they were online. This has not worked more than it has, but it's something to try. If it doesn't work, then I delete the network adapters in the Device Manager. If you have Vista, they will instantly reinstall themselves. Then I open a command prompt and do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. What we are seeing is that the computers will release and renew the correct IP addresses and we can see these computers on our network, but there's something wrong with the TCP/IP that's simply not allowing them to browse. All of my "guinea pig" computers were sent home and even after the networking guys did hours of research, they said to reinstall Vista.

Now, I'm supposed to find a new guinea pig computer and run this in a command line and see what happens:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Actually, it's Windows 2000 (old school). Thanks for the effort though. There's a lot of hustle and sweat in your reply.

Or copy and paste :wink: (I haven't counted my receipts but the stack is an inch thick and that's how many laptops we've done since school started in Sept.). I have seen corrupted TCP/IP stacks with other OSs. Don't know the solution other than reinstall the OS. That's what appears to be happening with Vista.

have you checked that your browser isn't set to 'work offline'?
i know dumb question, but ya never know sometimes it's something really simple.
just trying to think of all the options.

More issues: I cannot access Internet Explorer or explore My Computer or My Documents or any of my hard drive.

Well, we determined that something with Internet Explorer isn't working, so I downloaded Mozilla Firefox. First post with it right here.

firefoxlove.gif

Now, let's say I receive a link in an IM conversation. For me, it still attempts to open IE (and fails). How do I default them to Firefox?

I think in Firefox you can go to tools --> options --> there on the general tab there should be a box to check if Firefox is the default browser.

Also in IE you can go to tools --> internet options --> programs tab --> there it says 'Default web browser'.

Back
Top Bottom