Free virus protection software?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ILuvLarryMullen

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Does anyone know of a good one?

I had norton, but it expired and I can't afford to renew it. It has also decided to turn itself off completely yesterday.

AdAware isn't really for viruses, but it will protect you from seedy wares that infiltrate your system. Always good to have.

If you had asked before Norton expired, I would've said to uninstall it and reinstall it. If you uninstall Norton before it expires and then reinstall it, your subscription starts over again at no cost. But once it expires, a registry entry is made so that the computer knows your subscription is expired, and reinstalling Norton after that will do no good. You could format your hard drive and reinstall windows and reinstall Norton and your subscription would start new, but you don't want to do that.

In conclusion, I offer you nothing useful in this post, execpt for this: I would stay away from McAfee if I were you. I don't like McAfee.

Avast works fine for me too! I've been using it for 3 years now and no problems so far

Up until about 6 months ago, I was using the online virus scan at www.antivirus.com. Since then, it doesn't work with my computer. I'm interested in downloading one of these free programs (I also have Norton, but haven't subscribed), but I've heard that anti-virus software works best when installing it on a clean system (ie: right after you've formatted and reinstalled windows). Is this true, or will they work just as well without going through the whole format-reinstall process?

This thread is timely. I noticed it an hour ago and just now AVG informed me that it will no longer be free as of Jan 2007. Thanks for saving me the effort of searching for a replacement. I'm downloading avast now.

Varitek said:
This thread is timely. I noticed it an hour ago and just now AVG informed me that it will no longer be free as of Jan 2007. Thanks for saving me the effort of searching for a replacement. I'm downloading avast now.
AVG will continue to be free - the verison you have (7.1) will no longer be supported as they have released a newer version (7.5).

So I have a choice between paying for 7.5 or running an unsupported version? Or is 7.5 free? The site makes it look like you have to pay; it says "add to cart."

~BrightestStar~ said:
:shifty:

Word on the street is that if you know that right people, they can give you the codes necessary to have your Norton subscription last till 2050......

:hmm:

I wonder what one must do to get these codes...:hmm:

:D

Back
Top Bottom