External HDD: portable vs not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Yeah so I'm the techie person and should know this, but I don't. My WD Passport drive is basically full, and I don't like the idea of only have one backup drive (though I do upload all my pics to Flickr so that gives me some peace of mind). It's time for a new external hard drive. I like the WD Passports. They are "portable" meaning powered via USB, small simple case w/ no fans, etc. However, I guess I don't really need a portable. So what would be the pros/cons of going with the smaller, USB-only powered drive vs. the external drive that has it's own power adapter and sits on my desk? I want at least a 320GB, but I probably cannot afford more than that. In a perfect world, I would build a desktop full of backup drives. Any suggestions on brands/models for either? I'd rather pay for space than speed. I do not run daily backups, just drag-and-drop things whenever I feel like it (once every few weeks).

Generally the "non-portable" types are actually cheaper, so you may as well go with that if you don't really need a portable one. Other than the things you've already mentioned (bigger size, have to use an AC adapter), I don't really know of any other disadvantages.

As you probably already know, the WDs are great on the portable side. :up:

Yep when I read the reviews a few years ago, they all pointed to the WD passport for the portable so if I go that route I'd just upgrade to a bigger size. I have a small portable SimpleTech at work, but don't use it enough to compare. The main con I've found on the Passport is taking it apart, but I find that to be bull b/c I got one apart the other day, just pried it open and when I was done it snapped shut nice and clean. I've also read the 320GBs are only 298GB when re-formatted for NTFS so I'll have to look into that.

Then I think I should get a bigger, less portable and use my current Passport for anything that requires portability....

Back
Top Bottom