External HDD Error

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynetravis

Blue Crack Supplier
I have a Western Digital My Book external hard drive for my laptop. Until yesterday it was working fine but now I get error messages.

My machine sees the drive and the stuff stored on it but every once in a while it crashes.
When I copy a small file to it, it's fine, but when I transfer a large video file to it I get the following message ''cannot connet because of an I/O device error'' (or something to that effect).

Then a yellow triangle appears in the taskbar saying something about a delayed write error.
The drive works fine because I have my iTunes going through it, only happens when I transfer larger files.

:help:

Have you run a checkdisk on the external drive? Also, maybe take the drive out and try a different connection/enclosure?

I just got a My Book. In fact, as I type this I'm copying everything off my old Passport onto the My Book so I can have two backups (and the Passport is almost full).

I tried to disk error check but it had an error message and closed down.

Today I got a Passport Essential hard drive.
But I still get the error when I copy the files from my old hard drive :huh:

I tried to disk error check but it had an error message and closed down.

Today I got a Passport Essential hard drive.
But I still get the error when I copy the files from my old hard drive :huh:

:hmm: I'd try Liesje's suggestion of taking it out of the enclosure and putting it in another.

Hey Wayne do you use any program to copy/sync data or just drag and drop? On my Passport I just dragged and dropped my stuff when I felt like it b/c it's only an 80GB Passport and couldn't fit everything but my My Book is twice as big as my computer hard drive so I guess I could use a program to sync...

Always used drag and drop.
I download a diagnostic program from WD's website which is scanning at the moment, I'm hoping that solves something.

Well after a 6 hour scan, I getL ''Please contact Western Digital for support''.

:angry:

Back
Top Bottom