Everything is more complicated for Mac users

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're using an antique version of QuickTime that was developed for... probably Mac OS 9, more than a decade ago. Macs nowadays come with a much newer version of QuickTime by default, so you shouldn't need to install anything.

I occasionally have a window saying something about updates but I tend just click the "remind me latter" button, or something like that. That's because I'm having too much fun watching chinchilla's and cats giving birth or hamsters mating on Youtube. Truly riveting stuff!

Well, there's your problem.

Accepting basic updates that pop up for you automatically so your computer runs optimally and doesn't acquire viruses / malware or have performance issues is "complicated"?

First: The latest version of QuickTime is pre-installed on every Mac and has been for 20 years, regardless of what your CD-ROM (wonder when the last time I typed out CD-ROM was) tells you.

Second: How the hell did she find a file to install an OS 9 version of QuickTime in 2011 :huh:

Now everytime I want to watch a video it keeps on saying Blocked Plug In, and so I click on it and it leads me to adobe flash download, but it still says 'Blocked Plug In' :angry:. I've just looked at my downloads and I've got install flash player 1 - 41 and yet it still won't play videos :angry::angry:. Why is it being so annoying?

And yet the crappy computer at work which is Windows XP, 15 years out of date, excutiatingly slow, and yet it still plays Youtbe videos with little buffering whenever I scive off.

Because you blocked the plugin... it's installed, but blocked. depending on your browser, go to plugins and add ons, enable the adobe flash plugin and it will play.

After 8 years of using nothing but a Mac, today I ordered a PC. A damn good gaming one, too. I'm skipping this generation of consoles :up:

Weird, I can't see my post in the app, it seems to have disappeared. For anyone late to the conversation I said that on Monday I bought a PC after years of exclusively using a Mac (other than at work).

I bought a custom rig from a local computer shop. They're building it now and it's supposed to be shipped today overnight. I can't wait to get it.

I got an AMD 8-core processor, 16 GB of RAM, a 2GB GeForce GTX 750 video card, and a 3TB hard drive. I think I should be good to run most games on high graphics settings with a good frame rate. I liked my Mac for basic tasks but it's utter shat for gaming. That Intel graphics chipset blows. The tipping point for me was when I couldn't even run Cities Skylines on the absolute lowest settings and get a frame rate higher than about 5 fps.

Wow you splurged on that one! :lol: Pretty damn high end, the 750 is absolutely worth it! only thing I'd suggest adding is an SSD, but that's more of a speed freak thingy :p

Which games are you aiming to play?

It wasn't that high end, all together, including a 22" monitor, speakers, keyboard/mouse, and shipping was less than $1100.

Mostly I plan to play games that my PS3 struggled so much with that I couldn't finish them or did only with great patience and many crashes/reloads, games like Deus Ex (the new one), Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim. Also games that were fun but he graphics sucked on PS3 like GTA 5 (I wanted to do the story again but there are points where it's hard to see because of the graphics quality). Plus I'm excited to play things like Fallout and Skyrim with mods. Also I play a lot of sim games like Civilization, the Sims, Kerbal Space Program, and Cities Skylines that played okay on low graphics settings on my Mac, but are going to look incredible with a proper video card.

I also plan on eventually getting an SSD too, I have one in my MacBook Air and it's phenomenal. It would have added an extra $250 to the cost of the build, and I for one don't need it yet and for two know I can get an aftermarket one for way cheaper when the time does come, probably in the fall.

250 is a decent price if it's above 500 MB, otherwise you can get 256 for around 100. They're really easy to build in as well. :)

Ever played Assassin's Creed series? I love those, but sadly my gaming laptop is too old to take on the newest installments. Skyrim was okay, wasn't too impressed but I seem to be the only one lol.

Well, so much for that - they completely fucked up my order six ways to Sunday and didn't bother making any effort to inform me for two full days that they weren't going to fulfill it for at least six weeks, so I cancelled it over the phone and sent off an irritated e-mail to their customer service department.

I was super pumped that I found a local shop that would build me a custom set-up for a great price, and ship it to my door within 3-5 business days, and now somewhere like Best Buy is going to get my money, and I'll probably end up with less of a computer than I would have gotten originally. Hooray, I'm off to the mall. :|

Lol I just did the opposite and bought my first Mac. :drool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sucks. You could also get one built by Dell, I've heard mixed reviews on them though. Once I get my own place and room for a desktop, I'm going to build it myself. It's much cheaper and actually not that hard. Perhaps that's an option? Just buyinng the separate parts and take a weekend to connect the dots. :)

Enjoying it Mikal? Figure you're not a gamer then. :wink:

That sucks. You could also get one built by Dell, I've heard mixed reviews on them though. Once I get my own place and room for a desktop, I'm going to build it myself. It's much cheaper and actually not that hard. Perhaps that's an option? Just buyinng the separate parts and take a weekend to connect the dots. :)

Enjoying it Mikal? Figure you're not a gamer then. :wink:

:shrug: I went to Best Buy and bought an HP system. It took half an hour and 3 employees just to find one decently priced monitor that they actually had in stock (and I was the one who actually found it on the stock shelf right in front of my face :rolleyes: ) but it's all set up.

I do very much like having the 24" monitor now as opposed to the 13" one on my Mac. I didn't get a chance to try it any games by the time I got it set up last night but my steam downloads should be done now and when I get home from work I'm gonna fire up some games and check out how it really runs :D

Back
Top Bottom