Everything is more complicated for Mac users

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Apple exodus continues - I just found out this morning that I won a Samsung Galaxy S6 (for watching a hockey game through the NHL's GameCentre online service) and a $200 gift card for the Shopping Channel. I'll be replacing my old iPhone 5, and it'll go nicely with the Samsung Galaxy A tablet that I'm getting for free for switching banks a couple weeks ago :up:

The S6 is a nice phone. I tried it out and had fun with it for a week. I ended up returning it though because I just generally enjoy iOS more and the battery life was horrid on the S6, though maybe they've fixed it with software updates already.

I have an Xperia so battery life isn't an issue anymore. :wink: 2 days minimum with heavy use.

Fun fact of the day: The battery capacity is actually bigger for the Galaxy S6 than the Iphone 6. :)

I have an Xperia so battery life isn't an issue anymore. :wink: 2 days minimum with heavy use.

Fun fact of the day: The battery capacity is actually bigger for the Galaxy S6 than the Iphone 6. :)

Battery capacity is only half the battle though (I actually have an iPhone 6 Plus). iOS does a really nice job handling energy. Even when I had the iPhone 5s, it had better battery than phones like the Galaxy S4 and Nexus 5 (which all came out the same year) but the iPhone 5s battery was technically smaller.

PS. I heard the XPeria does have crazy awesome battery though.

I miss mine like hell. My U2 fandom was born on a little antique baby one, and it was so fun and handy.

Yeah, I'm regretting a little bit that I didn't get the newer 12" MacBook Air and went with the 11" but it's still a fantastic little device!

I have a windows phone :reject: Nokia Lumia.

But I'm actually really happy with it. I've had Android for years, then moved over to IOS/Apple, and now the new Nokia Lumia, and I love it.

Only minor issue right now would be that there's no app for Meerkat or Periscope.
Which is a shame, because i would love to stream for interference.
The recording quality (both audio and video) is LIGHTYEARS ahead of the iphones around.. :drool::drool::drool:

Not a single day has gone by that I thought about going back to IOS.

Samsung has a shit load of bloatware with their products, just like HTC. It's really useful to kill a lot of those apps, and those you cannot deinstall you can deactivate most of the time. That saves a lot of battery usage. You just gotta know what to kill. :wink:

I'm interested to try it out for sure. In 2010 I had the very first Samsung Galaxy S, and it was decent, but back then still light years behind the iPhone and sort of looked at as a "second-rate" phone. Now that the gap has lessened I've heard that Samsungs are nice (once you get rid of the pre-installed crap). Battery life doesn't matter too much to me, I plug my phone in every night when I go to bed, and I keep an extra charger at work in case it gets low. I usually think ahead to bring one in case I'm going somewhere I might need it, too.

I won it through Rogers (Canadian telecom provider), I'm just hoping that it isn't locked or have "Rogers" etched into it or something. I have service through their competitor and I like my provider so I don't want to have to spend the money to unlock it.

The Apple exodus continues - I just found out this morning that I won a Samsung Galaxy S6 (for watching a hockey game through the NHL's GameCentre online service) and a $200 gift card for the Shopping Channel. I'll be replacing my old iPhone 5, and it'll go nicely with the Samsung Galaxy A tablet that I'm getting for free for switching banks a couple weeks ago :up:

Only fucking Rogers could possibly send me a free smartphone and still manage to piss me off so much I want to cancel every service I have with them.

The phone is locked - they'll unlock it, but only for a $50 fee, and only if it's been activated on the Rogers network for 90 days. Well how the hell am I supposed to have it activated for 90 days? Oh, I can't without signing up for a Rogers plan. Since I'm still under contract with Telus, my options are to pay some shady kiosk at the mall $80 and wait like a week, or pay out the remaining $160 or so on my Telus contract and sign up for Rogers, where I'll be paying considerably more for worse service and coverage.

Is that even legal, to give someone a "prize" and then require them to pay you for service to get any value out of it at all?

And on top of all that, the screen is damaged and a portion of it won't work at all. I don't even know if they'll exchange it for me since it was a "prize", and at this point I doubt they will based on my experience so far.

:sigh:

Man 80$ for shady unlock service? :yikes:
Here we have plenty of semi legal places where you can have it unlocked for about 10 euros!!! Or you can do it yourself, just make sure you follow the instructions very, very carefully.

It's sadly legal yes, if it is in their terms and conditions. It is reasonable that when you win a free phone with a phone company, to expect them to sign you up.

:crack: The screen screwed up is bad though, do you have any sort of warranty on it or did they screw you out of that because it was a prize? If that's the case, I'd put the phone up for sale, specify that it's locked on Rogers so someone with a rogers plan can buy it off you.

Well thankfully the lady at the promotions department was a lot more helpful than their customer service department. I am going to ship the phone back to them and then wait for them to send me another new one, hopefully it doesn't take weeks although I'm expecting it to be a while.

Sucks - it's a really, really nice phone actually (it's the S6 Edge).

Only fucking Rogers could possibly send me a free smartphone and still manage to piss me off so much I want to cancel every service I have with them.

The phone is locked - they'll unlock it, but only for a $50 fee, and only if it's been activated on the Rogers network for 90 days. Well how the hell am I supposed to have it activated for 90 days? Oh, I can't without signing up for a Rogers plan. Since I'm still under contract with Telus, my options are to pay some shady kiosk at the mall $80 and wait like a week, or pay out the remaining $160 or so on my Telus contract and sign up for Rogers, where I'll be paying considerably more for worse service and coverage.

Is that even legal, to give someone a "prize" and then require them to pay you for service to get any value out of it at all?

And on top of all that, the screen is damaged and a portion of it won't work at all. I don't even know if they'll exchange it for me since it was a "prize", and at this point I doubt they will based on my experience so far.

:sigh:

Get it unlocked by unlockguy.ca. I've used him several times, been to his house in sauga personally. He's legit.

Day 1 with the new phone - so far, not so good. There are a lot of reeeeeally annoying things that I don't like about this phone, mainly in the UI and placement of buttons that causes them to be pressed unintentionally, and I am not at all a fan of the keyboard. There are lots of things that take extra steps that the iPhone doesn't require you to do, such as from the lock screen I can pause or skip to the next song, but for some stupid reason there's no "back" button. The stock internet browser is slow as hell and the Chrome browser built in is essentially useless because the only buttons on the entire thing are "Home" and an address bar, and the back button is at the bottom built into the phone itself, but since it doesn't light up until you actually press it I end up finding myself mashing the bezel of my phone until I inevitably end up pressing it 3 times - since there's no Forward button anywhere, I have to hope I know the address or it's gone. On the plus side, the screen is gorgeous, and it runs really fast.

I'm holding on to my iPhone for a few weeks to determine whether it's stuff I just need to get used to or stuff that is going to infuriate me forever, and I'm selling one or the other depending on how I feel about the Galaxy S6 Edge.

You'll get used to it, might take some time. Other way around would require time as well.

The good thing about Android is that you can customise a lot. If you want a different internet browser, get a different one. Just find them in the app store. The lock screen options should be adjustable as well somewhere in the settings.

I actually just switched back from iPhone to the S6 Edge (yeah I do this shit all the time, lol). Overall my experience has been positive. Sure, I do still love the simplicity of the iPhone. Fact is, owning many Android and iPhones, the iPhone simply is easier to use and normally requires less clicks for where you want to go.

With that said, the screen on the S6 is unbelievable. It's ridiculous how great the screen is. Can't say enough about it. The UI on Touchwiz (Samsung's Android skin) is much better and simpler than the S4 was and I'm glad that they made these improvements. The only complaint I'd have is battery life. On the flip side, the phone charges so fast that it hasn't really changed my life compared to what I was getting with the iPhone.

DaveC, you'll get used to Chrome. I used to struggle with it but now it's the only browser I'll use. Also, if you don't like the stock keyboard, try Swiftkey. It's great.

Yeah now th at I've had a couple days with it I think it's mostly just stuff that I'm not used to, different ways of accomplishing things than iOS. You're right mikal, the screen on this thing is incredible :drool:

I don't have too many complaints about the battery so far, on my iPhone I would usually have to plug it in in the evening, or it would be in single digits by the time I went to bed. I've gotten about the same battery life out of the Edge so far, and considering how much bigger the screen is and how superior the hardware is to the iPhone 5s, I think it's pretty good. I always have an extra charger in my desk at work anyways so it's not a huge issue for me if I have to plug it in.

I also do like the customization options. If you don't like something about an android phone there's usually an app to change it, which is nice not to be stuck with Safari (for example) or be forced to have the bottom row icons Apple sets. I've found a few options for Chrome that fix some of the annoyances so I have to say I'm liking this thing more and more as I use it. :up:

Yeah now th at I've had a couple days with it I think it's mostly just stuff that I'm not used to, different ways of accomplishing things than iOS. You're right mikal, the screen on this thing is incredible :drool:

I don't have too many complaints about the battery so far, on my iPhone I would usually have to plug it in in the evening, or it would be in single digits by the time I went to bed. I've gotten about the same battery life out of the Edge so far, and considering how much bigger the screen is and how superior the hardware is to the iPhone 5s, I think it's pretty good. I always have an extra charger in my desk at work anyways so it's not a huge issue for me if I have to plug it in.

I also do like the customization options. If you don't like something about an android phone there's usually an app to change it, which is nice not to be stuck with Safari (for example) or be forced to have the bottom row icons Apple sets. I've found a few options for Chrome that fix some of the annoyances so I have to say I'm liking this thing more and more as I use it. :up:

Have you tried out the built in themes yet? I'm rocking a Daft Punk one at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G925V using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom