Even techies have shitty computers - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Thanks Lies, yeah, that's probably what happened.

So I picked it up yesterday. One thing I noticed right off the bat is that the scroll on the touchpad wasn't working. I checked, and they didn't have a driver installed for it, so I had to find one myself and install it. On the Acer site, there's no support for XP with these machines, it's all Vista, so I had to go to another site. Then later, I was using it, and it got *really* hot. I've been lucky that way so far, these computers are notorious for overheating, but mine never has. When I took it in on Friday and he suggested putting XP on it, I was telling him that I've read that it's a very common problem that without Vista and the proprietary software, the fan no longer works properly, when the computer comes out of hibernation, it won't run. They were all "these computers break all the time, we repair a lot of them, we know what we're doing, trust us!" Lo and behold, that's what's happening with mine now. If I restart it, it's fine, the fan comes back on, it's just coming out of hibernation that it doesn't work.

I'm torn now. I don't know whether to keep XP and take it back to them and say "I told you so," and have them find a solution, or whether I should just download Vista and the Acer proprietary crap and put that back on (I still have my Vista key).

Old 04-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

I don't use hibernate so I'm no help there.

My HP runs so hot it could melt plastic. It's too hot to have on my lap sometimes. It's never actually overheated though and my fans run normally.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Maybe it's not hibernation. It's when I close the lid and walk away for a few minutes and then come back to it. Is that hibernation or standby? I'm not sure. In any case, I have to restart it to get the fan to run again.

I had a Compaq a few years ago that used to run hot, too. In the summer I'd be wearing shorts, and my legs would get red from the heat. This one's been really good, though.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Depends on how it's setup. Mine sleeps, but it could also hibernate when closed. If it says "resume windows" it's probably hibernating. The power settings have a "When I close the lid....." option.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Great minds. I just looked at mine and changed it from going into standby when closing the lid to doing nothing.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

If it's set to doing nothing it might continue to have heat/fan issues b/c basically the computer is still running like normal but now there's less airflow b/c the lid is closed and the computer gets put in a bag or whatever. Mine is usually only set to "do nothing" when I'm playing music, like on a long road trip I make a playlist, slide my laptop under my seat, and use the remote control to change tracks. Otherwise it sleeps/stanby (though mine has an issue of "waking" on its own after a while, noted on the scroll of problems being sent to the repair facility!).
Old 04-23-2009, 07:22 PM   #22
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:21 PM
It's stuff like this that I worry about. I've had my current laptop for 4 years now...i've never had any issues with it, runs fine all the time...doesn't even seem to overheat either even though I have it on nearly all the time. It's a bit battered looking. Cracked one hinge and the caps lock key has come off...but no actual issues running it, never have, then again the most intensive thing i've ever done is type on it and play music...it's a glorified mp3 really. The battery is dead mind holds charge for about 30 mins these days, but that can be changed, but I never really carry it about with me though.

I do worry i'll go to switch it on one day and it will just not come on...but as i've said no issues with it yet, but as I understand it 4 years is gettin on quite a bit for a laptop.