even newer apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kind of thinking that if I have an iPhone, how much do I need an iPad?
Really depends.

I can't vouch for the iPad as anything more than a luxury purchase at the moment. It is excellent for staying at home on the coffee table and being your day-to-day digital gateway to things you read, watch, and people you communicate with.

Your mileage may vary as far as using an iPad to actually get work done, though. I know writers like it, students like it, but anything more than lightweight business tasks are less efficient to do than on a laptop.

I can tell you that as a college student, I am able to get things done on a day-to-day basis with an iPad. I take text notes with the excellent Notability app, including math and sketches using a 1$ Dollar Store stylus, review flashcards, read my PDF textbooks, and everything is synced automatically to a Dropbox account so I can get to it anywhere. There is indeed a diminishing productivity curve compared with the complexity of the task with the iPad, though. The more complicated the task (when you get into spreadsheets and such), the less efficient and the more hoops you have to jump through to get things done.

If you are hesitant about how an iPad would fit into your day-today productivity, the best bet is to buy one from a retailer that allows full refund within X days, see if you like the device and if not just return it.

For browsing and tomfoolery, I find an iPad is so much more practical, easy, and enjoyable to use when sitting on the couch watching TV and the like than either a smart phone or laptop.

Necessary? No. Glad I bought one? Big time.

Yeah, the iPad is a nice replacement for the terrible "netbook" market that existed a couple of years ago that is now almost gone. "Netbook" basically stood for "shitty, underpowered laptop".

I have a random question. Why does Safari give so many certificate warnings? It's not all the time, but suddenly it will start giving me a message every time a page loads, usually telling me that it can't verify the security certificate for Facebook or something else (usually Facebook). It even does it when I come to Interference, and it'll keep popping up until I click Continue; then it takes me to a page that says either Access Denied or, for Interference, a picture of a panda that says "Oops!" Then I go back to Interference (or whatever site I'm on) and the message doesn't come up anymore. Is it a real security problem, a glitch, or Facebook's fault? Every site has some connection to Facebook now, and since the certificate warning is usually for www.facebook.com, I've wondered if it's their problem.

Has anyone ever bought an iPod or regular mp3 player used from Amazon Warehouse Deals? Was wondering the quality of a used one.

Does anyone have a specific printer model they like for AirPrint functionality? Seems like every single printer I see recommended with this feature has horrific reviews on Amazon. I haven't actually had a working printer in my house for years, just use printers at work, but it would be nice to have something at home from time to time.

I have a Photosmart 5510 with AirPrint. It works fine, and prints off nice quality photos. I have it setup wirelessly and ePrint enabled.

The only issue with it is that it's noisy as hell. Turn it on and grinds really, really loud. Sounds like it maybe jammed, but it's not because the day after I bought it I had a customer buy one and I set it up in store and it had the same sound.

Are you using it for documents or photos? I have a Samsung SCC-4623FW laser printer that I use for invoicing. Super quiet, wireless, and the cartridge lasts forever

I thought I was going to buy an iPad

but now, I may just wait a few months and buy this thing

Crossing a toaster with a fridge wouldn't seem to make sense. Yet in doing so, Microsoft may be able to light a fire under its business. And finally land a punch against Apple and Google.

The strange merger of kitchen appliances is how Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook describes the idea of cross-pollinating a tablet with a laptop. But Microsoft suggests its new Surface tablet is more akin to a toaster oven. Unveiled Monday, it could be the first computing device that is equally good at cooking up content as it is at consuming it.

lots of times I leave the house and know a tablet is all I would want to carry
but there are those times a real computer, with software, keyboard and printing would be better, so just buy an airbook or ultralight, right

now, this thing may marry the two?? sounds like filling a real need, instead of creating one.

Does anyone have a specific printer model they like for AirPrint functionality? Seems like every single printer I see recommended with this feature has horrific reviews on Amazon. I haven't actually had a working printer in my house for years, just use printers at work, but it would be nice to have something at home from time to time.
hay, i have a photosmart 6510. i don't know what airprint is but wikipedia says all hp printers with eprint has this option, and mine has eprint.

i like it, i just had to replace my printer actually since my cartridges decided to leak out onto the table i had my printer on. oops. anyway, it's a good printer. i've tested the eprint option once and it worked fine, and it also printed a photo as a test and it looked good. plus it's not $500 or anything. and if you're an online shopper, you can get it for free shipping through amazon.

Anyone purchased Mountain Lion yet? If so, how is it? Any life changing features?

I updated from Snow Leopard and avoided Lion. So there are some new features to me like the Launchpad and Mission Control. Safari 6 is very fast than I remember, but I'm still using Chrome.
Can't use the Notification Center to it's full potential because I don't use the Mail app. When Facebook integration is ready I'm hoping I'll use it more.

I have '09 MBP and I was worried about it possibly becoming slow after updating. It's done the complete opposite and feels like a new machine. Not bad for £13.99 :applaud:

Cool. I noticed my computer ran significantly better with Lion after upgrading, would be interested to hear what the "Lion to Mountain Lion" change feels like. I admittedly hardly use any of the changes / features introduced with Lion, so I'm honestly more likely to buy it just based on an potential performance enhancements.

my laptop's pretty old (i have the one that came out in early 2008) and i noticed mine ran faster with lion at first, but now reboots and such take just as long as they did with snow leopard. i can't say i'm too keen on paying $15 to upgrade again to make it faster for five minutes.

my imac? ha. that baby's so old it couldn't even be upgraded to lion. not enough ram. and i always get the maximum amount of ram available at the time for the model. i got it in the summer of 2007. i think my laptop just barely made it in terms of ram.

i probably should get a new computer but 1. can't afford it, 2. i love my laptop (i hate the new touchpads - it's not that i hate change, i've played around with the new version of the touchpad plenty and we just don't get along). maybe someday i'll get a new imac.

iphone / ipad announcement september 12th

on sale september 19th

:hyper:

Glad I got a 4s when I did. Not really in need of a bigger screen or many of the features, don't like the headphone plug down the bottom as is with the iPod touch these days.

cobl04 said:
Everyone! I have just discovered "personal hotspot" on my iPhone. Now I have internet everywhere. Amazing.

I don't have any sort of smart phone but even I knew how that worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom