even newer apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing with Apple is that when they come out with something new, just buy the previous version and it's just as good, and if you are lucky it might be affordable.

The only caveat I'd add to that is when there is a specific and important hardware feature updated between versions, consider waiting for the newer one. I always regretted getting the Wall Street Edition Mac laptop that didn't have USB ports. Since Apple doesn't seem to be embracing USB 3, I'd take them seriously on the Thunderbolt port, which is why I waited on getting the MacBook Air until it had Thunderbolt (not that there is anything real for it yet, but connectivity is important to an otherwise spartan laptop).

That said though, I don't know what big hardware change there would be on a new iPad 3.

I know all about the hardware updates, and my iPod Touch 2g is really hurting in that area, since it is no longer getting updates. The highest that it is, is 4.2.1, and that's it. I'd really like to get a 4gen but the price will suck your pocket book dry.

There is also word that Apple might be coming out with an iPhone 5 sometime next month.

The thing with Apple is that when they come out with something new, just buy the previous version and it's just as good, and if you are lucky it might be affordable.

The only caveat I'd add to that is when there is a specific and important hardware feature updated between versions, consider waiting for the newer one. I always regretted getting the Wall Street Edition Mac laptop that didn't have USB ports. Since Apple doesn't seem to be embracing USB 3, I'd take them seriously on the Thunderbolt port, which is why I waited on getting the MacBook Air until it had Thunderbolt (not that there is anything real for it yet, but connectivity is important to an otherwise spartan laptop).

That said though, I don't know what big hardware change there would be on a new iPad 3.

alrighty then . . . my contract is about up on the fanciPhone; so do I hang out for the possibility of the 5 (which, no doubt won't likely hit Oz until a month or 2 after the US / Europe) or just grab the 4?

anyone done the latest software update for mbp? I am infuriated by the safari change - when you search for something in google and then navigate away from the page, where they used be a grey X there is now an orange circle with an arrow that takes you back to the search. fucking infuriating.

Cloud music will probably suck, especially if it's on the road smartphone. It'll be worse than radio... That, and major battery drainer.

If Apple has iTunes music exclusively on iPhones and there's no iPod, then there will seem to be some kind of monopoly on the market... Sudden increase in iPhone sales, just for the iTunes music; and Android phone sales will probably drop sharply.

anyone done the latest software update for mbp? I am infuriated by the safari change - when you search for something in google and then navigate away from the page, where they used be a grey X there is now an orange circle with an arrow that takes you back to the search. fucking infuriating.

Only a mouth breather would use Safari

Cloud music will probably suck, especially if it's on the road smartphone. It'll be worse than radio... That, and major battery drainer.

If Apple has iTunes music exclusively on iPhones and there's no iPod, then there will seem to be some kind of monopoly on the market... Sudden increase in iPhone sales, just for the iTunes music; and Android phone sales will probably drop sharply.

They will still have the iPod Nano and the iPod Touch, so they aren't getting out of the iPod business altogether. Also, no one really wants iTunes unless they have to have it for the iPod/phone/pad. Now that Amazon is in the music business, you can just download your mp3s from there.

I can't imagine why discontinuing a product that not many are buying would cause people to leave Android.

that'll be a huge bummer if the classic is discontinued. that was what made me get into apple in the first place. i bought my first ipod in 2002 and thought hey, maybe apple products aren't so bad after all. i sure as hell don't want an iphone, plus even the biggest one isn't as big as the classic. i like to have a lot of choice at my fingertips, i never know what song i'll want to listen to and with my music collection being in the states, i can't just listen to my music that way, so it's ipod or bust. if this is true, i don't have the money to buy an extra one just in case, so i'll wait and see what happens before freaking out. i don't like this rumour, though.

I take my ancient Nano to the gym because I don't need sweat all over my expensive iPod and iPhone. I was hoping to get a Shuffle when my Nano dies, just to use at the gym. I refuse to listen to Heart at 5:30 in the fucking morning. Or anytime, really.

that'll be a huge bummer if the classic is discontinued. that was what made me get into apple in the first place. i bought my first ipod in 2002 and thought hey, maybe apple products aren't so bad after all. i sure as hell don't want an iphone, plus even the biggest one isn't as big as the classic. i like to have a lot of choice at my fingertips, i never know what song i'll want to listen to and with my music collection being in the states, i can't just listen to my music that way, so it's ipod or bust. if this is true, i don't have the money to buy an extra one just in case, so i'll wait and see what happens before freaking out. i don't like this rumour, though.

I keep all of my music in Lossless format (AIFF mostly, some WAV), so a Classic is essential. I can't fit everything on there, but it's nice to have a mostly greatest hits iPod with good quality.

I don't really see the need to carry around 120 GB of music in your pocket. If your library is lossless then just tick the box to have iTunes down-convert to a lossy format when syncing with an iPod Touch or iPhone.

I have a few current albums on my iPod Touch, but beyond that I just keep the music library at home and can stream it if I really need to or am going on vacation.

i wish i were still able to do that, i miss being able to stream from my imac onto my macbook. i guess if i really had to, i could bring my external hard drive where all my music is with me here (and make a copy of my itunes library so i don't have to make playlists all over again), but i don't see good things happening with having one connected to a laptop when my desk is my bed. i'm sure i'll find a way to get my imac moved over here just in time for me to move back to the states. :lol:

iPhone 5 this week people, :drool:.

Good, even though I had positive experiences with Android, I'm so pumped for iCloud syncing since I use Mac computers and an iPad. Good thing I get upgrades from AT&T every 12 months.

I love the Android OS a lot, but my phone has a hard time handling the memory. I'm torn between upgrading to an iPhone after it comes to Sprint or going for an EVO.

I love the Android OS a lot, but my phone has a hard time handling the memory. I'm torn between upgrading to an iPhone after it comes to Sprint or going for an EVO.
Android OS is great, but cellphone carriers enjoy taking a giant shit on it and try to slap all this ugly, brand-specific stuff on top of it.

It's why Myspace pages were always ugly as hell and why Facebook has such a unified look. You can't push out a product and then let individual companies/people customize it enough to ruin it.

Apple's iOS is so successful because they ship a product and an experience that is standardized.

The battery on my mbp sucks.

Mine's weird, might have to calibrate it, because the other day I unplugged it for about 10 seconds while I fed the cable to the back of the shelf, it took 15 mins to charge back up what was lost :huh:

The biggest advantage iOS has over Android is the fact that all devices get upgrades simultaneously, so many Android handsets have gotten left behind even after being only one version old. Sure this comes down to the carriers' customizations and most customers' inability to flash their own open source updates, but also there's not enough standardization of hardware to insure compatibility. The now ancient iPhone 3GS is even going to get iOS 5 this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom