even newer apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No more MacBooks? Interesting.
but there will still be the mbp, right? that's somewhat of a relief i guess, but man. i like the macbook just fine (even if the one that was being sold was actually slower than the one i bought three years ago).

i might download lion in a minute, though.

There are external, two-button pads aren't there?

I may check into this. (Although I DON'T need another damn thing to plug into the USB ports.)
there probably are, or at the very least i could use my mighty mouse. but i'm like you, i have enough crap to plug in as it is. if i need to charge my ipod, ipad, and phone (and this has happened to me) i have to prioritise. plus lugging around anything external, to me, negates the whole purpose of a laptop. charging something is one thing because odds are your ipod isn't plugged in 24/7, but if i'm lugging the laptop around with me, i don't want a bunch of stuff dangling from it. this is why my external hard drives are still back in the states, attached to my imac. i should've brought them with me but i don't want a bunch of stuff plugged into a laptop, when one wrong step means i accidentally unplug one and possibly mess up the data on them.

k, just installed lion and omg. why the hell is the scrolling backwards? well, i know why, but it's lame. the worst part is from what i've seen online i can't see how to fix it. all the options people are offering are not visible in my system prefs, i guess because i have the old school trackpad.

i did read where you can connect a mouse and change it that way, but i have to borrow someone's mouse to check it out. here's hoping it works. for scrolling i just prefer it the way it was, i don't use my ipad enough to where i'm more used to how that scrolls. besides, it keeps me on my toes to have them both work differently. :wink:

What do I need to know before buying a Macbook? My parents say they're gonna put $1k towards one for my bday, and there's one on sale for $1099. 250GB.

Go to System Preferences -> Trackpad -> Uncheck scroll direction.
like i said, i don't have that option in my system prefs. did some more searching and found a fix - plug in a mouse (or do it over bluetooth) and the option's under mouse. all fixed now, yay.

What do I need to know before buying a Macbook? My parents say they're gonna put $1k towards one for my bday, and there's one on sale for $1099. 250GB.
awesome! be prepared to fall in love.

I always like maxing-out the RAM when I order one, but I know it's not absolutely necessary.
oh yeah. it's cheaper to do it when you buy it (if you're not going to diy) so you might as well. when you first get a brand new laptop it seems soooo fast, but quickly you'll find yourself wishing you had more ram if you didn't upgrade.

I have an Early 2008 MacBook Pro, the last one before they switched to the unibody model. Adding 2 GBs of RAM has definitely extended its lifespan and value for me since I occasionally do video editing on here.

Gonna upgrade to a new MBP in Spring, fingers crossed.

btw-

Dear Carbonite Mac user,

As you may know, Apple has released the latest version of their operating system, Mac OS X Lion (10.7). At this time, Carbonite is not yet compatible with Lion. We’re actively working on an update to our software that will make it fully compatible with the new operating system.

If you continue using your current operating system (Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Leopard), Carbonite will continue to function normally.

If you plan to upgrade to Lion, please visit our Mac OS X Lion FAQ page for important information and updates about using Carbonite with Lion.

Sincerely,
The Carbonite Team

What's a Carbonite?

millenniumfalcon_empire1080i_HanSoloCarbonite.png

MacBook or MacBook pro? Considering about 90% of my use for it will be word, iTunes and the net. Doubt I'll be doing much video/graphics etc type stuff. Leaning towards the standard MacBook pro, which is about $1350...

Also, you dont have to do that whole charge-for-a-full-24-hours-before-use thing do you?

Yeah I've heard it's slow. Dad reckons just get a good, cheaper, non-apple laptop, but I'm a sucker for image and looks.

Think I'll get it Sunday.

ordered a refurbished one from apple for $1200. as opposed to JB/apple/everywhere else's $1400 new one.

anyone had an experience with a refurbished one? i'm sure it will be fine...

I'm pretty sure you can use it while it's charging without causing any real issues. I know I did with the iPad, as I could not just sit there for hours looking at the box!

It has arrived. It's beautiful. Don't think I can hold out on charging it for too long before using it. Got lots of things to do.

I'm pretty sure you can use it while it's charging without causing any real issues. I know I did with the iPad, as I could not just sit there for hours looking at the box!

Is it recommended that you recondition the battery in a MBP like with the MB batteries? --Run it until dead, and then charge it until full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom