even newer apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my individual preferences too

but, all along I see Apple very cleverly hitting price points that sound cheap
to create a stream of income that has made Apple the giant juggernaut it is.

the apps marketplace for Apple has tremendous upside potential
I think the main reason the iPad is out there is not because people wanted a slimmer more portable Internet device

But, it is because Apple told people they wanted that, why?
to have devices out there that will make people buy apps

There is no one out there asking for Apple TV.
Most people are happy with dvrs and hulu and other online sources for watching TV.

Now, Apple wants to get between you and your TV viewing for only 99 cents a view.

Dear Santa,
I know it is a little early but I would like a new 32gb iPod Touch please..

/kthxbai

and cookies and milk are by the fireplace.. :D

xoxoxo,
Moi

Dear Amy

I don't think so

coal.jpg
coal%25201c.jpg

Sincerely,

Santa Claus

I think the main reason the iPad is out there is not because people wanted a slimmer more portable Internet device

But, it is because Apple told people they wanted

I agree with you 100% on that... and I think that fact has made apple lazy. They think that they have such a hero on what's "cool" and hip with the kids that they just throw any old piece of crap out there and expect that someone will buy it.

And they're right... for now. Eventually the sheep will figure out that they're bein that there are being had and that there are much better products out there then what apple has been forcing upon us of late

Apple is dead to me.

They haven't refreshed the ipod classic in a long time. I have a 120gb classic. Why the fuck would I want to go to 32 gigs at a huge price just so I can get apps?

since when are we supposed to be going backwards in the way we listen to music?
i agree. i also have the 120 gb ipod. the ipod touch has never intrigued me. when i bought my macbook i got a free one, i just sold it on ebay. sure you can browse the internet with it, but that's only if you're in wifi and maybe it's just being unlucky with where i've lived the past several years but most places are stingy with free wifi. i'm not the type to spend hours at starbucks or mcdonald's. the apps can be cool but most of what i like on there i can get on my phone. to top it all off, my boyfriend has an ipod touch so i can play with it when i want. that's about enough for me. if he didn't have one i'd never use one and i'd be fine with that.

it's basically an iphone without the phone, so why would i need to carry around two devices that have apps and internet browsing capabilities? maybe if i still had some old school dirt cheap phone without this stuff i'd feel differently, but i don't think that's who they're catering to with it. they might say they are, but they're probably just hoping to rope in some dodos who have the fucking iphone too but need something else with the apple logo on it.

don't even get me started on the ipad. the second i found out all it was was some giant ereader, i lost interest. if it had handwriting-to-text recognition, i would've been the first in line to buy one. fuck that shit. touch screens are nice and all but tapping to type is such a paaaaaaain. and then of course, the ability to write actual documents on an ipad instead of tap-tap-tap. i know other companies make them, but i'd prefer to get an apple one. guess i'll be waiting a long time.

/starts searching for another iPod Classic.

I love my 120 GB Classic. I really should treat it better. It's the repository for a huge chunk of my CD collection, stored at full, lossless audio.

I wish more people cared about lossless audio. The iTunes AAC isn't bad, but I've got a decent stereo in my car, and don't want mp3s muddying up the wiring. :D
(not to mention sharing music with anybody--Here have their CD. The real, lossless music CD.)

iPod Classics aren't the most convenient players (size mainly), but the storage place is essential if you have large files. My iTunes music collection is approaching 400GB, and that's w/o many U2 boots. So, bring on the iPod Classic 500GB. I'll take 2.

As anyone used Ping yet? I think it's a good idea, but seemingly poorly executed. It's clunky and I can't wrap my head around using it at all. Nice review here;

Apple's Ping - a capsule review | Technology | guardian.co.uk

"It's static, detached, and outdated. Perhaps we'll revisit it when it grows up. A poor effort, Apple."

I updated the new itunes last night and started using the ping. I can't quite figure it out. It seems like it is still in the development stages.

I went ahead and did what I said I would do months ago and purchased a new touch. I am excited about it. I ended up talking myself out of buying a new shuffle or nano because my current shuffle is working as of right now.

As far as a new Apple TV, I will wait to see if there will be updates for my current AppleTV and wait for the reviews to come out before I jump the boat with an upgrade. I like my Apple TV because I do not have to plug my computer into my tv and everything in terms of music, pics and the like are downloaded to it. But I really want to watch my Netflix acct on tv, so if does not happen, I will just end up doing what I did not want to do and hook my computer to my tv.

I have iPod Touch, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle and iPod Classic. Usually I use only one of them. I love them all so much, especially my Red Nano with Bono's quote on it. But I rrrreally want the new Nano and the new Touch. Is it called an obsession? Or they just make too attractive things.

:ohmy: I would call it an obsession and being attracted to shiny new things.

;)

So Miss VelvetDress since you pre-ordered a new ipod touch does this rule out getting the iphone 4?

But, it is because Apple told people they wanted that, why?
to have devices out there that will make people buy apps

You seem to have forgotten that for years, Apple had the superior hardware and the far inferior software (OS notwithstanding). They banked on people buying their computers and products at a higher cost because they were constructed better, they looked nicer and so on. But the market share was low because they always underestimated just how much software drives the middle-of-the-road market.

The apps are a means of correcting all of that and their (correct) assessment of the power of software which they had largely neglected.

Personally I have no use for an iTouch or an iPod Classic, they are both beasts to carry around and useless in any kind of athletic activities. The new Nano is gorgeous and I really want it but not until they put out a 32 Gb version. Then I'll salivate and get one.

For me, the ipod classic or touch would be annoying in the gym if you are weight lifting. I personally don't want it strapped to my arm. I have been using my blackberry to listen to music while I do cardio, but when I am using free weights, it gets in the way, so I don't use it during those workouts. I prefer my shuffle because I can clip it on and go. And while I thought my shuffle was working, it apparently isn't, so I went ahead and bought a new shuffle last night. I also used a portable cd player for years while working out but it was mainly used during cardio workouts.

For me, the ipod classic or touch would be annoying in the gym if you are weight lifting. I personally don't want it strapped to my arm. I have been using my blackberry to listen to music while I do cardio, but when I am using free weights, it gets in the way, so I don't use it during those workouts. I prefer my shuffle because I can clip it on and go. And while I thought my shuffle was working, it apparently isn't, so I went ahead and bought a new shuffle last night. I also used a portable cd player for years while working out but it was mainly used during cardio workouts.

I use both my Classic and my Nano at the gym, and I do have to say that I hate adjusting the armband of the Classic when switching from cardio to weights or even between different weight machines. Since the Nano is lighter, it's easier to leave the armband at a constant tension. But, I hate that the Nano wants to keep rotating the screen depending on my arm position.

I want my iPlant--implantable iPod.

from the looks of those guns, you need to take it easy on those weight machines :lol:

when i have to use my ipod touch in the gym, i put it in my back pocket and run the cord along the back. but i'm pretty sure my cord is longer than most earbuds

I use both my Classic and my Nano at the gym, and I do have to say that I hate adjusting the armband of the Classic when switching from cardio to weights or even between different weight machines. Since the Nano is lighter, it's easier to leave the armband at a constant tension. But, I hate that the Nano wants to keep rotating the screen depending on my arm position.

I want my iPlant--implantable iPod.

iPlant.. now ur talking!:lol:

I have no problem with my special edition U2 iPod when I work out at the gym. I do cardio and weights with it clipped to my pants in a holster.. Never gets in the way for me. I personally don't like the shuffle option when I use my iPod, I want to hear the entire concert or album of whomever I am listening to.

You seem to have forgotten that for years, Apple had the superior hardware and the far inferior software (OS notwithstanding). They banked on people buying their computers and products at a higher cost because they were constructed better, they looked nicer and so on. But the market share was low because they always underestimated just how much software drives the middle-of-the-road market.

The apps are a means of correcting all of that and their (correct) assessment of the power of software which they had largely neglected.

Personally I have no use for an iTouch or an iPod Classic, they are both beasts to carry around and useless in any kind of athletic activities. The new Nano is gorgeous and I really want it but not until they put out a 32 Gb version. Then I'll salivate and get one.

Frankly, it's all about the software. You're exactly right on that. Ask anyone purchasing a smart phone what their major factors are in deciding on a new phone.

I almost guarantee you the first two will be:

1) Carrier
2) Availability of applications for the device (they won't call it that, but it's what they are thinking of)

This skips over corporate consumers who have to get what their company mandates, of course.

People were and still are going in on purchasing an iPhone despite AT&T being less than stellar, and it's all because of the App Store / App Ecosystem that Apple has created.

It's amazing to see how, in 10 years, Apple has gone from the company for computer-savvy folks (more stable operating system, ability to run UNIX), to the company for the masses who "just want it to work".

That's the entire argument behind the closed-model App Store system, and iTunes. You buy into the Apple system, and it's safe and warm and it'll "just work". This is why people buy iPhones and Apple laptops.

I am not pro-Apple or pro-Android, but I do know that there is no need for a system Task Manager on a bloody smartphone, and Apple designers know this as well.

I came in here to ask about why Apple isn't paying much attention to the "regular" iPods anymore, and I see that a few of you are asking the same questions. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've only ever had two iPods: A white 3G iPod(when the buttons were still above the wheel rather than on it) from 2003-2005, and then a black iPod 5G(AKA iPod Video) from 2005-present. It's still going strong, though it needs to be charged more often than it used to.

If/when I ever need a new iPod, I want a "regular" iPod - that is, the iPod Classic now - not a Nano or a Shuffle or a Touch. The iPod Touch is a sham, it's an iPhone without the phone. All of these devices offer far less storage space than the regular/classic iPods.

The iPod was the device that was largely responsible for putting Apple back on the map in the early 00s, and it's a shame that they would abandon it for App-heavy devices with less storage space. I have no problem with the iPhone, but it's not a replacement for an iPod.

Do you guys really think they'll stop selling the Classic at some point in the near future? Would it behoove me to buy a few while they're still available, so I have them for years to come?

Do you guys really think they'll stop selling the Classic at some point in the near future? Would it behoove me to buy a few while they're still available, so I have them for years to come?

I wouldn't multiple ones--just because the battery will become an issue. I've found that without regular use and recharging, Apple's iPod batteries go to hell.

I'm thinking of getting another Classic, probably a remanufactured. I just got a reman Nano.

Of course of my 4 current iPods, my Classic's battery is the best and may be the oldest. :shrug:

The iPod Touch is a sham, it's an iPhone without the phone. All of these devices offer far less storage space than the regular/classic iPods.

I like my Touch; I don't really need it as a phone, although there is Skype.
I mainly use it as a portable video player and photo displayer. I wouldn't like it as much if I had paid full price, though. I used FF miles to get it. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom