even newer apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is looking to get an iPhone 4 today or tomorrow. I have a 3GS and love it. I've heard that Apple's free case thing to fix the antenna issue is only through September. This makes me wonder if they'll have a fixed iPhone 4 come out in just a month or two.

Any thoughts or rumors on this?

Oh, and since she drops her phone all the time (or he kids get it!), she's thinking of getting the Otterbox Defender case. Is that just going to be a beast of a thing, or is it somewhat manageable?

Thanks for the thoughts!

*googled otterbox defender*

otterbox_defender_series_for_iphone_4_1-copy-523x500.jpg

:yikes: that thing is as ugly as a hatful of assholes :wink: and from the looks of it the screen is still exposed?

don't do it :scream: . . . akin to putting plastic covers on your good lounge :sad:

one of these might offer more protection (cuz let's face it those glass screens can take a beating) . . . although, personally, I find the flip cases a bit annoying but if your wife is a little clumsy :shrug:

o_8JPBIpOhkvQtv7C.jpg

good luck and happy shopping :D

^:laugh: Yeah, I know, it really is a beast of a thing. She probably won't end up with it...but it is under serious consideration. You should see her current phone----it's a 2-year-old Motorola RAZR V3 & it's literally falling apart. Ain't no way an iPhone's getting replaced with another iphone if it's busted...those puppies cost too much. In the end, it's her decision, and she's actually the one pushing for the defender. We'll see...

Good luck :D . . . if she really is prone to clumsiness definitely get her something with a cover for the screen . . . I am ANAL about my phone (won't let kids play games unless they are sitting on something soft :lol: and non moving ) and I still had a little mishap that makes me tear up whenever I recall it (ugly big cracked screen :sad:) . . . suffice to say it's not so much the dropping of the phone that is of concern, more the angle of the drop and what it can potentially hit on it's way down . . . rocks are NOT good :scream: . . . I wouldn't risk it unless you have insurance . . . replacing a screen can cost up to $200 and it immediately nulls all your warranties . . . be interested to see what she opts for :)

Does anyone have Windows running in Boot Camp on their Mac? Is it straight forward and simple to setup?

Not sure if I'm going to do it, but I've been considering it now that I have a considerably bigger hard drive on my new Mac

Apple is becoming Ridiculous.

Apple applies for patent to kill jailbroken devices | Apple - CNET News

Apple applies for patent to kill jailbroken devices
by Steven Musil

Apple is apparently ramping up its battle to prevent iPhone and iPod owners from jailbreaking their devices.
The company has applied for a patent, titled "Systems and Methods for Identifying Unauthorized Users of an Electronic Device," that covers a series of security measures to automatically protect devices from thieves and other "unauthorized users." Unauthorized users apparently applies to those who engage in jailbreaking, which allows devices to run apps not approved by the company producing the operating system--such as Apple, the main target of such bypasses.
The application, which was filed in February 2009 and published Thursday, describes measures to identify "particular activities that may indicate suspicious behavior," so that "safety measures" can be taken to restrict the device's functions. Those activities include the "hacking, jailbreaking, unlocking, or removal of a SIM card," according to the application. Apple also intends to send warnings to owners via e-mail or text message when such activity is detected.
The application also describes a variety of measures that could be used to help identify the unauthorized user, including the activation of a camera that could capture and geotag the device's surroundings, and perhaps current user, and transmit that information to a remote device:
In some embodiments, an unauthorized user can be detected by comparing the identity of the current user to the identities of authorized users of the electronic device. For example, a photograph of the current user can be taken, a recording of the current user's voice can be recorded, the heartbeat of the current user can be recorded, or any combination of the above. The photograph, recording, or heartbeat can be compared, respectively, to a photograph, recording, or heartbeat of authorized users of the electronic device to determine whether they match. If they do not match, the current user can be detected as an unauthorized user.
When unauthorized use has been detected, "access to particular applications can be restricted, access to sensitive information can be restricted, sensitive information can be erased from the electronic device...," the application states, effectively wiping and bricking the device.
Apple representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In July, U.S. Copyright Office ruled that bypassing a manufacturer's protection mechanisms to allow "handsets to execute software applications" no longer violates federal copyright law. However, while the U.S. Copyright Office has declared the software legal, Apple has repeatedly discouraged users from loading such a bypass, reminding them that doing so will void their device's warranty.
"As we've said before, the vast majority of customers do not jailbreak their iPhones as this can violate the warranty and can cause the iPhone to become unstable and not work reliably," Apple said in a statement in response to the ruling.

The only way I see Apple pulling this off is if they "lease" iPhones to people.
There already has been a court ruling that if people buy a phone it is actually theirs to do what they want with (Surprise!)
But, leasing phones to people could be brilliant (it does well for car companies with customers who are looking to upgrade every 2-3 years) or it could be a disaster.

:shrug:

Can anyone recommend a good, stable, program to burn DVD's. I've been using an oder version of Toast and it is now not working. I need something to burn Bootlegs, so needs to be able to encode .VOB files and burn dual layers.

Handbrake

The only way I see Apple pulling this off is if they "lease" iPhones to people.
There already has been a court ruling that if people buy a phone it is actually theirs to do what they want with (Surprise!)
But, leasing phones to people could be brilliant (it does well for car companies with customers who are looking to upgrade every 2-3 years) or it could be a disaster.

:shrug:

If apple does this to phones that people have purchased then they are in for major class action law suits

Sweet!! Which one did you get? I've been mulling over getting a MacbookPro, but the cost made me :huh: and I'm slightly concerned about the transition from PC to Mac for me. I spent a few hours at the Apple Store on Friday just to check out the antiglare vs glossy, and hi-res vs non hi-res screens.

Just a 13 inch, but with lots of upgrades--8 GB RAM, etc.

Switching from a good MacBook, so really it's just for better guts inside the machine. It's for work, too, otherwise the price is kind of ridiculous.

If apple does this to phones that people have purchased then they are in for major class action law suits

They can't do it to people who have purchased phones, there is no legal basis at all and not even a first year law student would try something so stupid.

I don't see them leasing phones but to be honest, it wouldn't particularly bother me to have a reduced phone cost and then have to return it in 2 years. As it is I just throw it out at that time anyway.

They can't do it to people who have purchased phones, there is no legal basis at all and not even a first year law student would try something so stupid.

I don't see them leasing phones but to be honest, it wouldn't particularly bother me to have a reduced phone cost and then have to return it in 2 years. As it is I just throw it out at that time anyway.

it seems every 3-4 months they upgrade the operating system

could they not just share some of the same code in the ATT software with the iTunes, and other apps on the phone?

I know people do not have to upgrade the software, it does seem like Apple upgrades more often than other software companies.

sorry if this has been discussed previously, but as I'm contemplating what Macbook I want to buy (if I win the lottery), I heard from my boss that the i7 processor tends to overheat, and so he advised me against getting the i7, and instead get the i5. Is this true? Can any of you who have i5 or i7 speak on this?

Performance-wise, the i5 would be sufficient for my purpose, because the most intensive app I'm ever going to use would be Photoshop. But the reason why I wanted to get the i7 is the graphics card has more internal memory (512) than the one that comes with the i5 (256).

:confused:

sorry if this has been discussed previously, but as I'm contemplating what Macbook I want to buy (if I win the lottery), I heard from my boss that the i7 processor tends to overheat, and so he advised me against getting the i7, and instead get the i5. Is this true? Can any of you who have i5 or i7 speak on this?

Performance-wise, the i5 would be sufficient for my purpose, because the most intensive app I'm ever going to use would be Photoshop. But the reason why I wanted to get the i7 is the graphics card has more internal memory (512) than the one that comes with the i5 (256).

:confused:

Haven't heard about this.

I could have been a short order cook with my old Titanium--nonstick surface included. :D

got a question - when you buy electronics, normally you overcharge them, like leave them on charge for 24 hours or so. do you need to do that for an iphone 4?

When I bought mine I wondered the same thing, but I was never told one way or another, so I didn't, and have had no problems so far - but I guess it's best to check. I bought it from an Apple Store and the guy who sold it to me was pretty knowledgable on everything else, so I imagine he would've mentioned it if it had been important (I forgot at the time) - it's the same battery as in an iPod isn't it? And they've never needed to be overcharged first time round have they?

When I bought mine I wondered the same thing, but I was never told one way or another, so I didn't, and have had no problems so far - but I guess it's best to check. I bought it from an Apple Store and the guy who sold it to me was pretty knowledgable on everything else, so I imagine he would've mentioned it if it had been important (I forgot at the time) - it's the same battery as in an iPod isn't it? And they've never needed to be overcharged first time round have they?

well i didn't overcharge mostly because it appears you can't charge iphones when they're turned off? it was on anyway so it was hard not to use it. :lol: i left it on charge for a few hours and then took it off and will charge it over night.

it probably doesn't matter but it's something my Dad's always said you need to do (though sometimes i reckon he says that because he doesn't want us to enjoy our new things for as long as possible :lol:)

:tsk: parents :lol:

glad you're having fun :up:

and trojanchick . . . I don't have macbook (yet . . .) but did get a new asus earlier this year and the sales guy also advised against the i7 processor (yes I know they would be slightly different as different operating systems ) but it just seems like there may be a glitch in the i7 overall? :shrug:

can you try and buy your mac through work? here we have a system whereby your employer purchases the laptop (has to be a laptop, can't rememeber why) and you can pay it off over 12 months . . . company wears the tax and claims it back through their company tax return; if you are really lucky (like we were) you can choose the computer you want and they can generally get a better deal via their computer bods and if you are really really lucky they will pass the tax break on . . . we managed to get a discount of around $800 on regular retail price and got all the software, excluding virus/malware software, for nothing :up:

/back on topic

just curious any aussies out there with iPhone4 had the same antenna issues as our compatriots in the US?

three questions regarding my iphone4:

1) why is the person on the other end of a phone call so damn quiet? the volume of the call is turned up full using the + button on the side of the phone, and yet i have to really strain to hear anything anyone is saying. very annoying.

2) i just figured out how to use songs as ringtones, but how do/can you use songs as message tones?

3) does using apps cost money? like the facebook app, will that add to my bill?

just curious any aussies out there with iPhone4 had the same antenna issues as our compatriots in the US?

when you held your phone to your left ear, the call would drop out, was that the problem they were having? it hasn't happened to me yet.

I had the same volume issue too, it's sorted now but I'm not quite sure how - I pressed the + button on the side of the phone (whilst on the phone), and I also took off the screen protector, as there was no hole for the ear bit (god I'm technical) so I figured that would also impact the volume to a certain extent. Hope that helps!

Not sure about No2, I haven't yet gotten around to sorting out ringtones, but with regards to apps, I am fairly sure that the free apps are well, free - depending on your internet allowance. My contract gives me unlimited internet/downloads so I think I'm fine as far as apps go, as there's no chance of going over my limit - though I was wondering for paid apps, like for example The Guardian - is it a one off payment? Or do you pay the same each month or something as £3.50 or whatever it is seems ridiculously good for free news from a trusted source indefinitely.

What kind of case do you have/are you thinking of getting? I'm kind of torn between a Speck one (Speck | GeoMetric Case for iPhone 4) or something that covers the screen too :hmm: I don't want it to get battered in my bag, but at the same time I don't want to buy a case which looks like I've wrapped the damn thing in bubble wrap, gah :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom