even newer apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Siri has attitude

po41d76v40.jpg

posfm07ds0.png

po86r039s8.jpg

Well, since I get 12-month upgrades on a 24 month contract (hey, you gotta have some benefit from paying over $99 a month, right?) I'm hawking my HTC on eBay, and using an old phone until my 4S arrives. It's pretty much costing me nothing. The fact that I'm a power Mac user, and an iPad user, iCloud has brought me back, the camera (have you seen the video quality?!) and Siri are just gravy. I do love the widgets and app switching on Android, but it was pretty much the notification system that kept me with Android, now that's pretty square.

Plus, with the 12 month cycle I won't have to feel gypped when the inevitable redesign (the rumored tapered brushed-aluminum design from this summer?) arrives for the 5 next fall.

I don't have a problem with clouds
I have plenty of documents in my gmail that I can pull down from anywhere on the planet

I just don't want any of my stuff in Apple's iCloud, that they own and can charge me fees to access.

I want stuff on my iPhone, iPod that I do not have to have a wifi or 4g connection to, plus iTunes to listen to.

So? It doesn't remove the memory in your phone for having your music on it, it just gives you the option to remove stuff and put it back later if you're not home. The benefit of it is in the automatic daily backup, syncing of any changes to contacts, and backup of photos between your iOS devices and computers.

And it's free for 5GB, which your iTunes purchases don't count against.

if a C.E.O. of an oil company or a bank was historically stingy with giving to charity, despite controlling billions of dollars in wealth, who had his products made by borderline slave labor, where employee suicide was an almost daily event, and tried to litigate his competition out of business... he would be vilified. if he's steve jobs, he's beloved, because his products are "cool."

his death was a sad, terrible thing. he was a visionary in many ways. he was also a bit of a dick... as many people similar to him in history have been known to be. there is a reason why the company that he created kicked him out at one point, after all.

perhaps saying "fuck you you tyrant" is a bit much considering his death... but criticizing and disliking his business practices is not a classless thing to do.

i will now slowly back out of the room.

DRay9911 said:
mobile site update works now on ios5 :)

mark :p

Wish it worked on Android, but I have yet to see a response to the problem with the non-stop crashing.

Diemen said:
Justin,

I think you know that this is out of line. If this is going to be your input in this thread, maybe it'd be better if you just read and didn't post in the apple thread.

Not that I agree with Justin's post, but why is it out of line exactly? He's not attacking another member of the board. I realize Jobs is dead, and that sucks, but I don't think complaining about his business practices violates board policy.

There's perhaps a bit more tactful way to complain about business practices than cuss-laden insults. And given this is the Apple thread, it's not exactly going to engender any goodwill towards his complaints.

I should have added more to my complaint than just that. As headache said he was a great innovator but he was a person who liked nothing but control and his way only and has people working in almost slave like conditions in China to create his product. I wish we could see human rights groups protest this about apples business practices.

I should have added more to my complaint than just that. As headache said he was a great innovator but he was a person who liked nothing but control and his way only and has people working in almost slave like conditions in China to create his product. I wish we could see human rights groups protest this about apples business practices.
Justin, I'm so glad to hear about your concern for human rights!

Since you're so appalled at Apple's business practices, I'm sure you would never dare to purchase or use a product from these other companies who have products made by the very same Foxconn factories that Apple uses:

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
Amazon.com (United States)[16]
ASRock (Taiwan)
Intel (United States)
Cisco (United States)
Hewlett-Packard (United States)[18]
Dell (United States)
Nintendo (Japan)
Nokia (Finland)[17]
Microsoft (United States)
MSI (Taiwan)
Motorola (United States)
Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)[19]
Vizio (United States)

You might want to stop attempting to take shits on this thread, before you embarrass yourself even more.

I'll leave you now while you take the time to go check the sticker on the bottom of your router. :wave: I am sure you are equally concerned with John Chambers' or Jeff Bezos' public charitable giving records :up:

Stolen my ass. Fuck you tyrant ass mofo

Justin, the only thing you are guilty of is being too early.

One day we will all say fuck Steve Jobs.
Perhaps, I should say many will say that.

It is just like Bill Gates. He was hailed as a messiah in the 80s and 90s because he brought the personal computer to the masses.

Before Gates, only businesses could afford computers and the software they ran on. He made it possible for people to use computers in their homes without having to take computer programing/ operating classes.

So, I still love my darling phone, but the 'home' button seems to be sticking/less responsive. I have to push harder than normal lately, and sometimes 2 or 3 times before it responds........... (which is what she said). Anyhoo, halp??

^what he said ~ you'll likely get a schmiko new phone out of it as I'm pretty sure yours would still be under warranty

(aren't you proud of me for not snerking at any 'pushing harder' innuendo? thought so ~ shall go sit in corner and pat self happily on head :wink: )

All I can say is USE YOUR TIME MACHINE!!!

Heather was at an airport on Wed. and her MBP slipped off her lap. No visible damage, but the HD was destroyed. Luckily, she only lost a few hours worth of work. The Apple Store replaced the HD for free under warranty (the guy did it because we were honest about how it happened) and used the Time Machine external HD to restore the computer. :heart: :up::up::up:

We normally travel with a small ext. HD to do back-ups on the road, but I had forgotten to send it along. :doh:

I don't know if the iCloud backs-up applications or not, but I love the secure feeling of the Time Machine.

All I can say is USE YOUR TIME MACHINE!!!

Heather was at an airport on Wed. and her MBP slipped off her lap. No visible damage, but the HD was destroyed. Luckily, she only lost a few hours worth of work. The Apple Store replaced the HD for free under warranty (the guy did it because we were honest about how it happened) and used the Time Machine external HD to restore the computer. :heart: :up::up::up:

We normally travel with a small ext. HD to do back-ups on the road, but I had forgotten to send it along. :doh:

I don't know if the iCloud backs-up applications or not, but I love the secure feeling of the Time Machine.
Time Machine is indeed a great feature, though I end up using it a lot because it tracks changes to individual documents on your HD and all those previous versions of a doc are available to restore to.

For backup, my Macbook automatically mirrors its hard drive to a backup drive once a week via my home Wifi network.

I like drive mirroring because if your computer craps out, you just end up restoring the old image to a new hard drive and everything is exactly as you left it, no need to do a new OS install.

Time Machine is indeed a great feature, though I end up using it a lot because it tracks changes to individual documents on your HD and all those previous versions of a doc are available to restore to.

I guess my wife uses it all the time for when something screws up with FileMaker.

For backup, my Macbook automatically mirrors its hard drive to a backup drive once a week via my home Wifi network.

I like drive mirroring because if your computer craps out, you just end up restoring the old image to a new hard drive and everything is exactly as you left it, no need to do a new OS install.

We do that too, but not automatically.

You really can't back-up stuff enough. And, externals crap-out for no reason quite often, too.

I guess my wife uses it all the time for when something screws up with FileMaker.

We do that too, but not automatically.

You really can't back-up stuff enough. And, externals crap-out for no reason quite often, too.
A good rule of thumb for backups is the 3-2-1 rule:
  • 3 Backup copies of anything you want to keep.
  • 2 different storage media.
  • 1 offsite storage site.
Though I admit I only have one local backup and one offsite (via Carbonite).

:sad: I seriously had no idea that there is not a single iPhon left in the entire county. And now the news says its a nationwide shortage?? I am cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom