even newer apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sortof agree in theory..but then what about a guy who fronts our favorite band? The vast majority of people here have never met or had a conversation with the man. But if he were to pass - and he surely will - will it be harmless to crack wise about his death?

Steve Jobs is that kind of guy to many people, and in the context of the online world, a context he helped establish, it does strike me as bad taste to make joke like that.

And no it doesnt make you a bad person. Just a person who tends to say arguably inappropriate things at times online.

That's all very reasonable. I just think the level of inappropriateness is obviously about 100x worse if you're talking about an actual family member/friend/ etc.

Either way, I don't want to be the guy to test your theory about Bono around these parts :no:

Does anyone know how slower Sprint's network would be then AT&T? I'm switching from T-Mobile to get the new iPhone, and Sprint's unlimited data thing is really appealing. Any recommendations?

Does anyone know how slower Sprint's network would be then AT&T? I'm switching from T-Mobile to get the new iPhone, and Sprint's unlimited data thing is really appealing. Any recommendations?

Hey Gump I am currently on Sprint. Their 3G service is ok, probably better than ATT. Here in SF ATT customers get a lot of dropped calls and I haven't had one on Sprint. It all depends on where you live and should check the coverage map to see the signal strength. But Sprints Unlimited plan is the best of all the carriers, but to be honest the speed the speed does not compare to verizon's.

I've been very happy with Sprint. I have no idea how they compare, but in all of the cities I've traveled to, dropped calls have never been a problem. Their WiFi stick that we use doesn't seem to have as good of an antenna as my BB 9650 Bold, but the antenna in the new iPhone sounds impressive.

:shrug:

Thanks for the responses - I live in NYC, where AT&T service is known to be spotty, so this is a plus. Just another question for you Sprint users: does international roaming work well?

Thanks for the responses - I live in NYC, where AT&T service is known to be spotty, so this is a plus. Just another question for you Sprint users: does international roaming work well?

It costs, but it works. I've had no trouble in Canada [(Vancouver, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Moncton(--little spotty)]. The little I used it over the summer for U2 in Canada only added about $30 to my bills total.

Australia, New Zealand, Beijing very few problems, but very big bills. Last time in NZ, the int'l rate was $3/minute :yikes: That bill sucked.

That's great to know, thanks a lot. I'm really leaning towards Sprint. I'll have to decide in the next few hours, as I want to preorder the iPhone tomorrow.

That's great to know, thanks a lot. I'm really leaning towards Sprint. I'll have to decide in the next few hours, as I want to preorder the iPhone tomorrow.

Basically, I don't worry about using my Sprint phone in Canada, but anywhere else in the world if I needed to make more than a few, sporadic calls, I'll look to rent one locally. The price is just makes sense.

Australia, New Zealand, Beijing very few problems, but very big bills. Last time in NZ, the int'l rate was $3/minute :yikes: That bill sucked.

i have to laugh at how much it cost me for the week i was there, otherwise i'll start crying

The real coup for Apple is the forthcoming iOS 5 update:

While Apple has announced that 200 new features are coming to iOS 5 in the Fall it hasn’t said much beyond the 16 or so (Notification Center, iMessage, WiFi Sync, et. al.) that are listed on its iOS 5 feature page.

Here are a couple of my favorite new iOS 5 features that have largely flown under the radar:

Text macros - This new feature allows you to automatically type frequently-used information by typing a short abbreviation. It’s configured in Settings > General > Keyboards > Shortcuts (scroll to bottom) where you set up short strings that are replaced by a longer text strings when typed. Text macros could get really interesting if Apple releases support for syncing them via iCloud. Apple could also conceivably release text macros for Mac OS X putting it in competition with Smile Software’s essential TextExpander software.

LED Flash for Alerts - Tucked anonymously under Settings > General > Accessibility lurks this little gem that lets you see (and feel) when someone’s calling. It’s sure to appeal to the Blackberry crowd that are hooked on its dedicated status LED — something that the iPhone has previously lacked. Apple’s iOS 5 implementation is more of a hack — simply blinking the camera’s LED flash when an email arrives — as opposed to BB’s dedicated multi-color status LED.

Custom Vibrations - Accessibility also allows you to assign unique vibration patterns to people in Contacts. You can even create your own vibration patterns in Settings > Sounds > Vibration.

So that’s close to 20, what about the other 180 other features in iOS 5?

While Apple’s isn’t saying much beyond the few features that it already showcased, TechZoom has compiled a list of 133 iOS 5 features that it has independently identified to date. Here’s the first 50:

Notification Center: New Notification System
Improved app notifications at the top
Lock screen notifications. Swipe will open related app.
Notification options to choose for each app.
Notification sorting by app, time etc.
iMessage: Text messaging between iOS devices over Wi-Fi or 3G (Similar to WhatsApp)
Newstand: Similar to iBooks to store, auto-download magazine subscriptions & new issues.
Reminders: A list of reminders with Geo-fence integrated with Calendar app
Twitter Integration: Log in to Twitter from settings once and Tweet anything from Safri, Photos, YouTube etc. Similar to login & sharing used by Mail.app
AirPlay Mirroring for iPad 2: Duplicate the iPad screen on television wirelessly
iCloud integration: A new free service with more than 5GB data to be shared between iOS devices
Open Camera.app from lock screen: Double tapping on Home button will open the Camera.app from lock screen
Take pictures from lock screen: Volume up button can be used to take pictures
Camera Grid: For more precise focus and accurate photography. This feature was available on Camera+ app
Camera Zoom: Pinch-to-zoom Gesture like Photos.app on Camera.app
One tap Auto Focus and Auto Exposure
Lock Auto Exposure & Auto Focus for consistency.
Swipe Left to open camera roll
Crop Photos: Not available on 3GS
Enhance Color tones of photos: Not available on 3GS
Rotate Photos:
Red-eye removal: Remove, correct Red-eye within Photos.app
Photo Stream via iCloud over all your iOS devices
Organize photos within Camera Roll
Tabbed Browsing in Safari: For iPad only
Safari Reader: Like RSS reader
Safari Reading List: Save web pages for offline reading
Improved Performance: Like it was enhanced in 4.3.3
Private Browsing: Similar to Firefox / Incognito on Chrome.
Website specific data can be deleted
Cut the cord: Activate and setup iOS device without a Mac or PC
Over-The-Air (OTA) iOS Software Updates: Again, no need of a computer & cord
Delta Software Updates: Upgrade only changed files. No need to download & install entire OS. (Similar to WordPress!)
Wi-Fi Sync: Sync iOS device with PC or Mac over Wi-Fi
Backup and Restore from iCloud account
Sync Exchange tasks
Downloads: See a list of downloaded apps from App Store from any of your iOS device
Rich Text Formatting for Composing Mail (Bold, Italics, Underline, etc.)
Improved offline support for Mail.app
Indentation Control
Drag-able email addresses: Drag, arrange email addresses in To, CC, BCC fields
Improved mail search: Full content search in Mail
Flag Emails
S/MIME Security
Profile picture for Game Center
Friend recommendations for Game Center
Games recommendation
Friends-of-friends list
App Store in Game Center: App store integrated within Game Center to find & buy new Apps / Games
New Achievements like Perks, Points

Via: An exhaustive list of iOS 5 features | ZDNet

I'm required to carry around a Blackberry for work, but I'd really like an actual "smart" phone for myself. Incredibly tempted to pre-order the 4S, but I hate the idea of having to constantly carry around 2 phones. 1 is bulky enough in the pocket. Decisions, decisions.

I managed to get the release version of iOS working on my iPad (ahead of official launch) and let me tell you, it's great.

4-finger swipe to change between open applications is so fucking wonderful I can't even begin to tell you.

error 3200 or whatever bullshit needs to die a painful death. preferably aat my hands, unless ios5 is installed this time and i can be done dicking around with this nonsense.

Battery life is not fabulous on my little MacBook Air with WiFi on. Of course, when the hell am I not going to have WiFi on? Carrying a cord around slightly defeats the lightweight angle.

I'm loving it quite a bit though. :heart:

If your phone is working fine, why do it anytime soon,

I'd wait a week or two or even longer, let others be the guinea pigs.

because i've been conditioned by apple to need the newest of the new, and nothing else will do (apparently dr seuss, too). why else?

I was able to update my phone today without the error :up:

The new software is very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom