even newer apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did that. One final question - at night, is it better to leave it in sleep mode, and not plugged in to power, or turn it off fully?
Sleep mode is fine, that's not really an issue.

The main rules of thumb to make sure your battery lasts for a long time (holds a full charge for a long time) is to

• Use up most of the battery before recharging (i.e. use laptop until battery is around 10-15%, then fully charge
  • Try to avoid using the laptop with A/C power plugged in for hours on end
  • Once a month, use the entire battery charge up and then do a full recharge (cycle the battery)

These are general rules for giving a rechargeable battery a long life and apply to cellphones, tablets, laptops, etc.

I just picked up one of the 13" Macbook Pros (decided to drop another 4 gigs of ram into it for a total of 8 gb)

Pretty swanky I have to say. Time to DJ some house parties.

I just picked up one of the 13" Macbook Pros (decided to drop another 4 gigs of ram into it for a total of 8 gb)

Pretty swanky I have to say. Time to DJ some house parties.

Nice. :up:

I think I'm skipping the MacBook Air until next year, although I'll probably go get an iPad in the next week.

I don't need it, but I should be aware of its capabilities for work.
(Yup, that's the line I'm going with.)

Nice. :up:

I think I'm skipping the MacBook Air until next year, although I'll probably go get an iPad in the next week.

I don't need it, but I should be aware of its capabilities for work.
(Yup, that's the line I'm going with.)
Look into getting a free, 2GB Dropbox account for sharing files between all those devices. I run a Windows 7 desktop, the Macbook Pro, and an iPad and iPhone and have my important files accessible on each.

a new macbook pro will be joining the family soon. it isn't mine though, ian's laptop is being lame and it's looking like it'll make more sense to replace rather than repair his.

plus my mom admitted to me that she's considering switching to mac, which is a huge deal because in the past she's complained about using my imac.

I'm really impressed with the build quality of the most recent Macbook Pros. The chassis feels as solid as fuck, and I like the fact that the usually vulnerable laptop hinge is one big single one in the centre of the machine. It makes a big difference for me.

Lenovo makes great business-class laptops but they feel plastic-y and fragile to me now, despite their great reputation. The only thing that comes close in terms of build quality currently are the Sony VIAOs and higher-end Dell XPS,

Really, really happy with the new MBP. It's the best Windows 7 laptop ever :D

I've been DLing magazine and construction related apps like crazy on the new iPad.
Some are so totally worthless, but some are pretty awesome. A few companies' specifying apps are really cool.

:up:

(I feel so modern.)

Do you run Bootcamp or Parallels?

Bootcamp is fine for my needs. I use a suite of a couple Windows applications to do web design work so I can just choose which OS to load when I turn on the Mac.

Parallels is more for running a specific Windows application while you're in your normal Mac OSX desktop. Pretty cool stuff, and they're about to come out with a new release (7) that looks good.

Has anyone DL'd these bonus entertainment-type apps for the iPad?

App Store - Sons of Anarchy

This one is for Sons Of Anarchy and sounds like it has stuff that would be bonus material on a DVD. Seems like it could be a bargain at 99 cents, but OMG how many shows could I do this for?!?!

ETA-sorry, maybe I should look in the App thread.

Speaking of iTunes and new apps... Does anyone have any new sources for discounted iTunes cards?

Target and Best Buy had them earlier this summer, but nothing lately. I'd love some discounts to subscribe to all of the TV shows returning this Fall.
And, I think Apple products/cards are completely gone from Costco.

Speaking of iTunes and new apps... Does anyone have any new sources for discounted iTunes cards?

Target and Best Buy had them earlier this summer, but nothing lately. I'd love some discounts to subscribe to all of the TV shows returning this Fall.
And, I think Apple products/cards are completely gone from Costco.

Best Buy has $50 iTunes cards for $45 thru the end of today. Well worth it.

Beat me to it

here's another

This week at CVS buy $50.00 worth of iTunes Gift Cards and you'll get $10 extra-care bucks back. True this is not as good as cash, but if you already shop for CVS deals in general this is a pretty slick deal.

Our problem-child white MacBook died again; this time it's not under warranty. So, :angry:

But, I broke down and ordered a small MacBook Air for work though, so :yippie:
One last fondle of it at Best Buy finalized it.

My current white MacBook will take the dead one's place as our A/V laptop/iTunes machine in our entertainment center.

My Macbook battery is swollen and protruding out of its slot. A Google search says that it could explode or catch fire, but the computer store guy I just called said, "Nah, just keep using it. Or buy a new one." (Yeah, he would say that.) It's not under warranty. I took out the supposed ticking time bomb and am currently running on cord only. A new battery from the Apple Store costs $129.99. Yippee.

So where is the best place to buy a replacement Macbook battery? Has anyone found some good deals that aren't from questionable Chinese companies?

So where is the best place to buy a replacement Macbook battery? Has anyone found some good deals that aren't from questionable Chinese companies?

I bought one non-Apple battery for my MacBook, and it crapped out within 6 months. I'd go with Apple or find an aftermarket place that has gotten lots of excellent reviews.

I bought one non-Apple battery for my MacBook, and it crapped out within 6 months. I'd go with Apple or find an aftermarket place that has gotten lots of excellent reviews.

I found a site called BatteryNerds.com that has a one-year guarantee, but it might be cheaper to just go to a computer store nearby. BatteryNerds sells them for around $63 and they charge $8 shipping; there aren't any customer reviews yet on any of the batteries I've looked at, though, which is odd. For now, I have the power cord taped on so it won't come unplugged accidentally, since it happened twice already. :lol:

Newegg.com - macbook battery

The Lenmar battery sounds promising for the same price as the BatteryNerds one. Same thing? :shrug:

Oh hey, thanks! I've seen commercials on TV for NewEgg.com but completely forgot about them. The reviews look promising; I might just have to go with this one. :up:

If you think that's disturbing, then maybe I shouldn't mention the bare gaping hole where the battery used to be or the fact that I keep forgetting about it and sticking my fingers in there when I pick it up. :whistle:

Because I'm too lazy/busy to run a Google search and because I know there are Mac-fans here who would know - what's the deal with the iPad3? Basically I would like to know whether I should shell out for an iPad 2 next month or wait for the next one? If it's going to be a very long time/minimal update then I may as well bite the bullet now.

There is also word that Apple might be coming out with an iPhone 5 sometime next month.

Apple plans to unveil its next generation iPhone next month, technology blog AllThingsD said Wednesday.
AllThingsD cautioned that Apple could "change its plans anytime," but said the present plan calls for Apple's new chief executive Tim Cook to preside over the launch of the iPhone 5 on October 4.
The thing with Apple is that when they come out with something new, just buy the previous version and it's just as good, and if you are lucky it might be affordable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom