Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Ping is now full of those "click here for a free iPhone" spams

Old 09-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #317
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

But, it is because Apple told people they wanted that, why?
to have devices out there that will make people buy apps
You seem to have forgotten that for years, Apple had the superior hardware and the far inferior software (OS notwithstanding). They banked on people buying their computers and products at a higher cost because they were constructed better, they looked nicer and so on. But the market share was low because they always underestimated just how much software drives the middle-of-the-road market.

The apps are a means of correcting all of that and their (correct) assessment of the power of software which they had largely neglected.

Personally I have no use for an iTouch or an iPod Classic, they are both beasts to carry around and useless in any kind of athletic activities. The new Nano is gorgeous and I really want it but not until they put out a 32 Gb version. Then I'll salivate and get one.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #318
Blue Crack Distributor

As someone who used to workout with a skipless cd player I have to laugh ay the norton that an ipod classic is a pain in the ass to work out with.

really... That's just silly.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #319
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:15 AM
i had a play with an ipad today. it's cute and fun, but tbh rather useless in it's current guise.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #320
45:33

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
As someone who used to workout with a skipless cd player I have to laugh ay the norton that an ipod classic is a pain in the ass to work out with.

really... That's just silly.
yeah.

and i can't fucking stand the nanos... too small.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #321
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
For me, the ipod classic or touch would be annoying in the gym if you are weight lifting. I personally don't want it strapped to my arm. I have been using my blackberry to listen to music while I do cardio, but when I am using free weights, it gets in the way, so I don't use it during those workouts. I prefer my shuffle because I can clip it on and go. And while I thought my shuffle was working, it apparently isn't, so I went ahead and bought a new shuffle last night. I also used a portable cd player for years while working out but it was mainly used during cardio workouts.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #322
has a

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVelvetDress_75 View Post
For me, the ipod classic or touch would be annoying in the gym if you are weight lifting. I personally don't want it strapped to my arm. I have been using my blackberry to listen to music while I do cardio, but when I am using free weights, it gets in the way, so I don't use it during those workouts. I prefer my shuffle because I can clip it on and go. And while I thought my shuffle was working, it apparently isn't, so I went ahead and bought a new shuffle last night. I also used a portable cd player for years while working out but it was mainly used during cardio workouts.
I use both my Classic and my Nano at the gym, and I do have to say that I hate adjusting the armband of the Classic when switching from cardio to weights or even between different weight machines. Since the Nano is lighter, it's easier to leave the armband at a constant tension. But, I hate that the Nano wants to keep rotating the screen depending on my arm position.

I want my iPlant--implantable iPod.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #323
I hate this place

Local Time: 09:15 AM
from the looks of those guns, you need to take it easy on those weight machines

when i have to use my ipod touch in the gym, i put it in my back pocket and run the cord along the back. but i'm pretty sure my cord is longer than most earbuds
Old 09-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #324
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
I use both my Classic and my Nano at the gym, and I do have to say that I hate adjusting the armband of the Classic when switching from cardio to weights or even between different weight machines. Since the Nano is lighter, it's easier to leave the armband at a constant tension. But, I hate that the Nano wants to keep rotating the screen depending on my arm position.

I want my iPlant--implantable iPod.
iPlant.. now ur talking!

I have no problem with my special edition U2 iPod when I work out at the gym. I do cardio and weights with it clipped to my pants in a holster.. Never gets in the way for me. I personally don't like the shuffle option when I use my iPod, I want to hear the entire concert or album of whomever I am listening to.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #325
Blue Crack Distributor

I do not own an arm band and have never had an issue : shrug:
Old 09-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #326
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRay9911 View Post
from the looks of those guns, you need to take it easy on those weight machines
The secret is to ball-up your fists behind your muscles and push them out to make them look bigger.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #327
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
You seem to have forgotten that for years, Apple had the superior hardware and the far inferior software (OS notwithstanding). They banked on people buying their computers and products at a higher cost because they were constructed better, they looked nicer and so on. But the market share was low because they always underestimated just how much software drives the middle-of-the-road market.

The apps are a means of correcting all of that and their (correct) assessment of the power of software which they had largely neglected.

Personally I have no use for an iTouch or an iPod Classic, they are both beasts to carry around and useless in any kind of athletic activities. The new Nano is gorgeous and I really want it but not until they put out a 32 Gb version. Then I'll salivate and get one.

Frankly, it's all about the software. You're exactly right on that. Ask anyone purchasing a smart phone what their major factors are in deciding on a new phone.

I almost guarantee you the first two will be:

1) Carrier
2) Availability of applications for the device (they won't call it that, but it's what they are thinking of)

This skips over corporate consumers who have to get what their company mandates, of course.

People were and still are going in on purchasing an iPhone despite AT&T being less than stellar, and it's all because of the App Store / App Ecosystem that Apple has created.

It's amazing to see how, in 10 years, Apple has gone from the company for computer-savvy folks (more stable operating system, ability to run UNIX), to the company for the masses who "just want it to work".

That's the entire argument behind the closed-model App Store system, and iTunes. You buy into the Apple system, and it's safe and warm and it'll "just work". This is why people buy iPhones and Apple laptops.

I am not pro-Apple or pro-Android, but I do know that there is no need for a system Task Manager on a bloody smartphone, and Apple designers know this as well.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #328
ONE
love, blood, life

I came in here to ask about why Apple isn't paying much attention to the "regular" iPods anymore, and I see that a few of you are asking the same questions. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've only ever had two iPods: A white 3G iPod(when the buttons were still above the wheel rather than on it) from 2003-2005, and then a black iPod 5G(AKA iPod Video) from 2005-present. It's still going strong, though it needs to be charged more often than it used to.

If/when I ever need a new iPod, I want a "regular" iPod - that is, the iPod Classic now - not a Nano or a Shuffle or a Touch. The iPod Touch is a sham, it's an iPhone without the phone. All of these devices offer far less storage space than the regular/classic iPods.

The iPod was the device that was largely responsible for putting Apple back on the map in the early 00s, and it's a shame that they would abandon it for App-heavy devices with less storage space. I have no problem with the iPhone, but it's not a replacement for an iPod.

Do you guys really think they'll stop selling the Classic at some point in the near future? Would it behoove me to buy a few while they're still available, so I have them for years to come?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #329
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Do you guys really think they'll stop selling the Classic at some point in the near future? Would it behoove me to buy a few while they're still available, so I have them for years to come?
I wouldn't multiple ones--just because the battery will become an issue. I've found that without regular use and recharging, Apple's iPod batteries go to hell.

I'm thinking of getting another Classic, probably a remanufactured. I just got a reman Nano.

Of course of my 4 current iPods, my Classic's battery is the best and may be the oldest.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #330
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
The iPod Touch is a sham, it's an iPhone without the phone. All of these devices offer far less storage space than the regular/classic iPods.
I like my Touch; I don't really need it as a phone, although there is Skype.
I mainly use it as a portable video player and photo displayer. I wouldn't like it as much if I had paid full price, though. I used FF miles to get it.

Tags
apple, imac, iphone, ipod, macbook, macs