even newer apple product/updates - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #181
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:32 AM
My wife is looking to get an iPhone 4 today or tomorrow. I have a 3GS and love it. I've heard that Apple's free case thing to fix the antenna issue is only through September. This makes me wonder if they'll have a fixed iPhone 4 come out in just a month or two.

Any thoughts or rumors on this?

Oh, and since she drops her phone all the time (or he kids get it!), she's thinking of getting the Otterbox Defender case. Is that just going to be a beast of a thing, or is it somewhat manageable?

Thanks for the thoughts!

Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #182
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 12:32 AM
*googled otterbox defender*

that thing is as ugly as a hatful of assholes and from the looks of it the screen is still exposed?

don't do it . . . akin to putting plastic covers on your good lounge

one of these might offer more protection (cuz let's face it those glass screens can take a beating) . . . although, personally, I find the flip cases a bit annoying but if your wife is a little clumsy

good luck and happy shopping

Old 08-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

^ Yeah, I know, it really is a beast of a thing. She probably won't end up with it...but it is under serious consideration. You should see her current phone----it's a 2-year-old Motorola RAZR V3 & it's literally falling apart. Ain't no way an iPhone's getting replaced with another iphone if it's busted...those puppies cost too much. In the end, it's her decision, and she's actually the one pushing for the defender. We'll see...
Old 08-08-2010, 02:15 AM   #184
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Good luck . . . if she really is prone to clumsiness definitely get her something with a cover for the screen . . . I am ANAL about my phone (won't let kids play games unless they are sitting on something soft and non moving ) and I still had a little mishap that makes me tear up whenever I recall it (ugly big cracked screen ) . . . suffice to say it's not so much the dropping of the phone that is of concern, more the angle of the drop and what it can potentially hit on it's way down . . . rocks are NOT good . . . I wouldn't risk it unless you have insurance . . . replacing a screen can cost up to $200 and it immediately nulls all your warranties . . . be interested to see what she opts for
Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #185
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Does anyone have Windows running in Boot Camp on their Mac? Is it straight forward and simple to setup?

Not sure if I'm going to do it, but I've been considering it now that I have a considerably bigger hard drive on my new Mac
Old 08-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #186
has a

New MacBook Pro ordered!

Old 08-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #187
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:32 AM
Apple is becoming Ridiculous.

Apple applies for patent to kill jailbroken devices | Apple - CNET News

Quote:
Apple applies for patent to kill jailbroken devices
by Steven Musil

Apple is apparently ramping up its battle to prevent iPhone and iPod owners from jailbreaking their devices.
The company has applied for a patent, titled "Systems and Methods for Identifying Unauthorized Users of an Electronic Device," that covers a series of security measures to automatically protect devices from thieves and other "unauthorized users." Unauthorized users apparently applies to those who engage in jailbreaking, which allows devices to run apps not approved by the company producing the operating system--such as Apple, the main target of such bypasses.
The application, which was filed in February 2009 and published Thursday, describes measures to identify "particular activities that may indicate suspicious behavior," so that "safety measures" can be taken to restrict the device's functions. Those activities include the "hacking, jailbreaking, unlocking, or removal of a SIM card," according to the application. Apple also intends to send warnings to owners via e-mail or text message when such activity is detected.
The application also describes a variety of measures that could be used to help identify the unauthorized user, including the activation of a camera that could capture and geotag the device's surroundings, and perhaps current user, and transmit that information to a remote device:
In some embodiments, an unauthorized user can be detected by comparing the identity of the current user to the identities of authorized users of the electronic device. For example, a photograph of the current user can be taken, a recording of the current user's voice can be recorded, the heartbeat of the current user can be recorded, or any combination of the above. The photograph, recording, or heartbeat can be compared, respectively, to a photograph, recording, or heartbeat of authorized users of the electronic device to determine whether they match. If they do not match, the current user can be detected as an unauthorized user.
When unauthorized use has been detected, "access to particular applications can be restricted, access to sensitive information can be restricted, sensitive information can be erased from the electronic device...," the application states, effectively wiping and bricking the device.
Apple representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In July, U.S. Copyright Office ruled that bypassing a manufacturer's protection mechanisms to allow "handsets to execute software applications" no longer violates federal copyright law. However, while the U.S. Copyright Office has declared the software legal, Apple has repeatedly discouraged users from loading such a bypass, reminding them that doing so will void their device's warranty.
"As we've said before, the vast majority of customers do not jailbreak their iPhones as this can violate the warranty and can cause the iPhone to become unstable and not work reliably," Apple said in a statement in response to the ruling.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #188
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin24 View Post
The only way I see Apple pulling this off is if they "lease" iPhones to people.
There already has been a court ruling that if people buy a phone it is actually theirs to do what they want with (Surprise!)
But, leasing phones to people could be brilliant (it does well for car companies with customers who are looking to upgrade every 2-3 years) or it could be a disaster.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #189
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Can anyone recommend a good, stable, program to burn DVD's. I've been using an oder version of Toast and it is now not working. I need something to burn Bootlegs, so needs to be able to encode .VOB files and burn dual layers.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #190
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good, stable, program to burn DVD's. I've been using an oder version of Toast and it is now not working. I need something to burn Bootlegs, so needs to be able to encode .VOB files and burn dual layers.
Handbrake
Old 08-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #191
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
The only way I see Apple pulling this off is if they "lease" iPhones to people.
There already has been a court ruling that if people buy a phone it is actually theirs to do what they want with (Surprise!)
But, leasing phones to people could be brilliant (it does well for car companies with customers who are looking to upgrade every 2-3 years) or it could be a disaster.

If apple does this to phones that people have purchased then they are in for major class action law suits
Old 08-23-2010, 02:17 AM   #192
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
i second the handbrake suggestion. i use it and best of all, it's free!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:52 AM   #193
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
New MacBook Pro ordered!

Sweet!! Which one did you get? I've been mulling over getting a MacbookPro, but the cost made me and I'm slightly concerned about the transition from PC to Mac for me. I spent a few hours at the Apple Store on Friday just to check out the antiglare vs glossy, and hi-res vs non hi-res screens.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #194
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjacqb View Post
Sweet!! Which one did you get? I've been mulling over getting a MacbookPro, but the cost made me and I'm slightly concerned about the transition from PC to Mac for me. I spent a few hours at the Apple Store on Friday just to check out the antiglare vs glossy, and hi-res vs non hi-res screens.
Just a 13 inch, but with lots of upgrades--8 GB RAM, etc.

Switching from a good MacBook, so really it's just for better guts inside the machine. It's for work, too, otherwise the price is kind of ridiculous.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:09 AM   #195
Blue Crack Addict

Tags
apple, imac, iphone, ipod, macbook, macs