DVD on Wii - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:06 AM
DVD on Wii

Have any of you Wii users tried the Homebrew thing? I'm probably one of the few people in the world who own a Wii but not a DVD player. I saw that there's a way to enable your Wii to play DVDs using this software.

My concern is will it bootleg DVDs? Have any of you tried burned DVDs on your Wii? If it won't, then I'd rather just suck it up and buy a DVD player. But if it does, then hey, that's less clutter. I know some of my U2 bootlegs won't play on some DVD players...I was curious if this Wii would be one of those.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
Local Time: 09:06 AM
Hmmm I've never heard of this software. It sounds interesting. I don't know about burning DVDs. I haven't tried it on mine. I can't even believe it won't play DVDs. This is a world where every single computer type machine (or whatever) should be able to play DVDs!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Well, technically, it is ABLE to, it's just locked or something. Nintendo wanted to avoid DVD licensing fees...I don't know the story behind it all. This software simply enables that part of the drive in the Wii. It can also be done by putting in a mod-chip, but I don't feel like forking out the cash for that.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
has a

Local Time: 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
Have any of you Wii users tried the Homebrew thing? I'm probably one of the few people in the world who own a Wii but not a DVD player. I saw that there's a way to enable your Wii to play DVDs using this software.

My concern is will it bootleg DVDs? Have any of you tried burned DVDs on your Wii? If it won't, then I'd rather just suck it up and buy a DVD player. But if it does, then hey, that's less clutter. I know some of my U2 bootlegs won't play on some DVD players...I was curious if this Wii would be one of those.
Oooh! I love the "less clutter" idea, it's part of the reason I have a laptop hooked up to my TV and stereo receiver.
I haven't heard of this for Wii, but I love mine. Is this a DVD that you insert and it loads/unlocks the DVD function? Or does your Wii have to be connected online?

Mark
Old 04-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Ugh, what a waste of time. I forked out the $30 for this software and started the installation, only to find out that it is only for the previous versions of Wii software. Of course, I've been upgraded to Wii version 4.0, which apparently fixed the little exploit that allowed this to happen. Web sites are saying there isn't a version available yet for Wii 4.0. So now I'm in the hole $30 and have a shitload of files on my computer that I can't use.

If anyone has a Wii that hasn't been upgraded to 4.0, I'd be more than happy to put all these files together, along with the instructions, and send it to you. Perhaps we can negotiate a price? I doubt Homebrew will issue me a refund.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:06 AM
dumb question, how do you know which version of the wii software you have?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

if you go into your Wii settings, it should say Ver x.x on the top right corner of the screen.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:06 PM
If its any help, I know my brother has managed to get a homebrew Mega Drive (Genesis) emulator going on his Wii, so these things are possible.

I had no idea about the secret DVD though.