DVD on Wii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhotswami

Blue Crack Addict
Have any of you Wii users tried the Homebrew thing? I'm probably one of the few people in the world who own a Wii but not a DVD player. I saw that there's a way to enable your Wii to play DVDs using this software.

My concern is will it bootleg DVDs? Have any of you tried burned DVDs on your Wii? If it won't, then I'd rather just suck it up and buy a DVD player. But if it does, then hey, that's less clutter. I know some of my U2 bootlegs won't play on some DVD players...I was curious if this Wii would be one of those.

Hmmm:hmm: I've never heard of this software. It sounds interesting. I don't know about burning DVDs. I haven't tried it on mine. I can't even believe it won't play DVDs. This is a world where every single computer type machine (or whatever) should be able to play DVDs!:madwife:

Well, technically, it is ABLE to, it's just locked or something. Nintendo wanted to avoid DVD licensing fees...I don't know the story behind it all. This software simply enables that part of the drive in the Wii. It can also be done by putting in a mod-chip, but I don't feel like forking out the cash for that.

Have any of you Wii users tried the Homebrew thing? I'm probably one of the few people in the world who own a Wii but not a DVD player. I saw that there's a way to enable your Wii to play DVDs using this software.

My concern is will it bootleg DVDs? Have any of you tried burned DVDs on your Wii? If it won't, then I'd rather just suck it up and buy a DVD player. But if it does, then hey, that's less clutter. I know some of my U2 bootlegs won't play on some DVD players...I was curious if this Wii would be one of those.

Oooh! I love the "less clutter" idea, it's part of the reason I have a laptop hooked up to my TV and stereo receiver.
I haven't heard of this for Wii, but I love mine. Is this a DVD that you insert and it loads/unlocks the DVD function? Or does your Wii have to be connected online?

Mark

Ugh, what a waste of time. I forked out the $30 for this software and started the installation, only to find out that it is only for the previous versions of Wii software. Of course, I've been upgraded to Wii version 4.0, which apparently fixed the little exploit that allowed this to happen. Web sites are saying there isn't a version available yet for Wii 4.0. So now I'm in the hole $30 and have a shitload of files on my computer that I can't use.

If anyone has a Wii that hasn't been upgraded to 4.0, I'd be more than happy to put all these files together, along with the instructions, and send it to you. Perhaps we can negotiate a price? I doubt Homebrew will issue me a refund.

If its any help, I know my brother has managed to get a homebrew Mega Drive (Genesis) emulator going on his Wii, so these things are possible. :shifty:

I had no idea about the secret DVD though. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom