Dual-Layer DVD Burning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
So I'm trying to burn a dual-layer disc. I have two burning programs on my computer: Sonic and Nero. Both have dual-layer capacity, but I've gotten error messages with both programs. I tried a second disc to see if I had a bum one, but no deal.

The store didn't have DVD-R DL, so I ended up with DVD+R DL. Do you think that made a difference? Do I really need DVD-R DL?

Haaaaaaalp!

You might if it only rights to DVD-R DL?

what is the DVD Drive model number? Maybe one of us can look it up and tell you if it's +R compatible

daveydave

Last edited:
It's a Philips DVD + - RW DVD 8631. So it should take +Rs just fine. I thought maybe it doesn't support dual layer DVDs, but I would have thought it would have booted me out of the program earlier if the drive didn't even take the DLs. But it definitely started "writing to disc" before it errored out.

It doesn't give me specifics on the error. "Error ..." and then a number or something, but no option to view the specifics. Meh.

I did a little googling for other issues with burning DL DVDs and am going to try a different program, and we'll see what happens.

What brand are the dvdr discs you bought? I ask because some burners won't work with 'cheap media'...meaning, like, store-brand media. The dvd burner inside macbooks won't work with my spindle of CompUSA brand dvd-rs, but will work fine with more expensive brand-name media such as TDK.

I'm giving this one more try on the discs I bought (Memorex - I've never had problems with other Memorex CDs or DVDs before, but this is the first time I've bought dual-layer). I did see some sites strongly recommending Verbatim. If I can find some, I'll buy some and try again. After that, I'm done trying.

I really want to have this U2 video bootleg, but it's not the end of the world and not worth the money if I can't get it to work right. :)

So today I got the Verbatim DVD+/-R DL discs I'd ordered. Nope. No deal. Still getting the same error message.

I looked on Google for a solution, and found some tips, and those didn't work either. I finally had to just shrink the damn DVD and force it onto one disc, which defeats the entire purpose of the stellar quality and fabulousness of this U2 bootleg.

FEH. I am displeased.

Back
Top Bottom