DSLRs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I originally bought it so I could have some zoom capability beyond the stock 55mm. Then after purchasing it, I realized I needed more of a walk around lens that wouldn't require changing between zoom and wide angle, hence the 18-200mm. They're both VR, both Nikkor, and the 18-200 has a smaller f-stop. The 55-200 is a great lens, I just don't see why I would need to use it any more, so I might as well put the money to better use through books or other equipment.

What flash would you recommend and why?

I'm don't know the names of the flash for Nikon, but it's a huge difference from the built in flash, especially once you understand how to use the flash, but just bouncing the flash of a white ceiling or wall will give you a much beter image than the direct flash

I actually just recently purchased my first dslr - went with 40d. I had every intention of buying an XSI then I actually handled the 40d and it just felt right. Much better than the XSI - the build feels so much better. The best part was that I only payed $150 more for the 40d kit than the xsi kit courtesy of the live cashback deal on ebay. :love:

Now I just need to find some time to really go out and shoot the camera. I've also got my eye on the new Tamron 10-24 lens that's coming out. Hopefully it gets good reviews because I don't know if I'll be able to turn it down.

So I'm still going around and around in my head... I'm thinking of just going with a D40x. What really would I be missing out on? Are there things (besides video which I don't need) I absolutely cannot do with a 40 that I could do with an 80 or 90? Pricewise anything above that is really out of the question. If I get the 40x then I want the Nikkor 55-200 lens. I use that now and love the results I get. I'm also using an 18-135 (I think) but for some reason I get better results with the 55-200. Most of the D40x I've seen come with an 18-55.

I dunno, I feel like I'm going in blind b/c while I spend a LOT of time taking pictures I spend very little time learning about the technology. All I know is when I compare pics w/ my friends who are using like a D300 with lenses that are several thousand dollars, our pics look the same and sometimes I even like mine better. One friend and I have been shooting dog shows, so often we are literally taking the same pictures, and sometimes I get a sharper image with the 55-200 than she's getting with her giant lens that probably cost her two grand. Part if it is that I'm better at post-processing b/c I'm a computer person, but I have not been sharpening any of my images. Honestly I'm not really into the technology, I just like taking pictures.

^The D90 has (from what I've read) less noise at higher ISOs, faster frame rate, much better LCD, better autofocus. What do you use for post-processing? The plant photos, etc. look really nice.

Well honestly most of the time I just use Picasa, but I'm looking into getting a better version of photoshop and starting to work with raw because I see lots of cool effects I've never tried.

Of the features you mentioned, the faster autofocus would be most useful to me. I rarely shoot manual, only a few times when I'm doing macros with my adapter. I'm just trying to decide if the D90 is better enough to be several hundred dollars more. Right now I can get the 40x in a kit with the two lenses I want for starters, plus a bunch of other supplies for under $700. On eBay with a live.com coupon I think I can get a D90 body only for $800 but that's really my entire budget and then no lenses.

So my parents are looking into getting a very entry-level, cheap DSLR. They want it mostly because their point & shoot died, so they have to buy something anyway, and we have a few young babies in the family now so my Mom would like to take some close up shots. They also travel, not extensively, but once a year. Every other year they go to Europe in the summer, and in alternate years they do something tropical.

Anyway, these are people who have yet to master the VCR, so as you can imagine they don't need anything too good. Right now they are leaning towards a Nikon D60 - my Mom's thinking is that she can get a 2 lens kit with it for about the price of a D80 body and let's face it, she doesn't need a super good body. Apparently there are loads of deals on the D60 so that's why. I think she prefers the feel of the Nikon in her hands vs. the Canon so that's why the brand choice.

Is this basically a good enough camera for people who have no idea how to do anything but would like to try dabbling in it and who are CERTAIN to never spend lots of $$ on expensive lenses, etc?

(I've always stuck with Canon and apart from using my uncle's Nikon very briefly, I'm not that familiar with their line of cameras.)

Yeah there are loads of D60 deals right now. Nikon has been running a special with the body and two lens kit. I went to Norman Camera last week, and they had the same deal since Thanksgiving - D60 body with two VR lenses, the 18-55 and the 55-200. Right now I have the 55-200 lens and I LOVE it!!!! I'm actually going to buy a new lens rather than a camera body, b/c I can't afford both that I want and what's the body without the lens? I'm going to get the 18-200 VR lens so I don't have to keep switching and then save for the D90 body. I'll keep borrowing the D40x or switch to the D90 because I don't think anyone is using it right now.

I don't know much about higher end bodies and lenses, but personally I think that D60 body with the VR lenses is a good deal. That's exactly what I'd be getting if I wasn't sold on the 18-200 lens instead. My friend uses a D80 body and recently got a really expensive Sigma lens. We took our dogs out together and both took identical pictures. Personally I think mine turned out better and I was using the 55-200 VR lens which you can get for around $200 by itself. Same thing happened at the big dog show in October, my friend was using about $5000 worth of equipment for her shots and I was using the D40x body and the 55-200 VR lens and my pics were even better than I could have asked for. I've been told the more expensive bodies are a lot more robust as far as how they are made, but a lot of the gimmicks are the same across the board.

The thing is, my Mom takes really awesome photos on super cheap, awful cameras, and I think that's probably about 80% of a good photo right there. She is actually pretty decent at Photoshop (why she doesn't know how to turn on the DVD player I'll never know), so I think she'd enjoy fiddling with things. My sense is that if I push them to get a more expensive body, like a D90, they'll decide that with the lenses on top of that it just isn't worth it and end up spending $300 on a very good P&S which is just not a DSLR no matter how you slice it.

But even a $100 P&S camera has a manual setting (the pics I entered in an art show were taking with a $99 camera), so if she likes that kind thing, the D60 should be fine. The super expensive bodies are made out of different materials, and the lower ends still have plenty of gimmicks and settings on the dial. I would do the same, get the 60 and get the good lenses, or whatever deal Nikon is pushing at the moment (I'd be fine with the D40x but the deal was on the D60s). I'll be buying the lens I want and sticking it on whatever body I have available to me at the time (I've also already bought a flash). I think the D90 is body-only anyway, whereas the others come with a lens or in a kit.

Yeah the deal right now is the D60 + the 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses for $649 Cdn (just under $520 US). I hope they pick it up before Christmas so I can play around with it and see how I like Nikon. I have a good friend who is really into photography and he's got a ton of super expensive lenses so I could try and see how those work with it as well.

Yes what's happened is that our dollar has gone down to about 80 cents very quickly (oil prices collapsed), and they haven't yet adjusted our prices. Last year we had the opposite problem, where our prices remained about 1.5x what you'd pay in an equivalent store in the US, like the Gap or something. So now is the time to move and make a deal, I think.

Of course, we do have 13% sales tax. :mad:

With sales tax here I'd pay $793 and with your sales tax there I'd pay $598. I should drive to Sarnia and buy one, lol. That would add about $30 in gas.

Less actually, because you could get the GST part of the tax back as a tourist (so you'd pay 8% instead of 5%).

I looked at henrys.com since you can order online there but they are always overpriced and it would cost you $749 there for the package (or about $607 USD)...still not a bad deal though!

Now I'm pondering the 21 MP 5D Mark II vs. a used 10 MP 1D Mark III :hmm:. No video in the 1D, but it produces better photos IMO. Both would be about the same price - might wait a few months for prices to come down, especially after a 1D Mark IV is announced.

Actually I've read reviews that in terms of quality the 5DII is pretty much the same than the Marks, the real difference is that the Marks have weather sealing, hopefully I'll be buying the 5DII by the end of Feb

The 5D2 autofocus doesn't seem as impressive (on paper). I want a great all-around camera - sports, landscapes, portraits, birds in flight. Some 5D2 samples posted on photo sites like dpreview forums are great, but many others weren't as impressive (even a bit soft at large resolution). I'll wait for more reviews to come out I guess.

Do you know of a good website that has information about when new models are going to be released?

My parents bought a Nikon D60 and then gave it to me to play around with until I upgrade to my next one. I really like it, it serves its purpose for now and one of my uncles has an array of Nikkor lenses which is very handy.

Anyway, while I always used Canons, I have to say I actually am starting to prefer Nikon, it's a bit more user friendly I feel. So I was thinking of the D90 but then the D300 just looks more attractive to me and the price difference isn't huge (ie. I could get it for maybe $500-600 more). The only thing is the D300 was released about a year and a half ago so I imagine they'd have a D400 (or whatever) coming out soon, maybe this summer/fall? I think I'd rather wait and see for that one than go to the D90.

^For Nikon, nikonrumors.com, and for Canon canonrumors.com. Most of the official info is kept secret. The dpreview forums also might have info. A used Nikon D3 is looking a bit attractive for me as well :hmm:

Well I decided to get a Canon 5D Mark II (will be ordering in the next week or two). The 1D Mark III just isn't practical for travel due to the large size and weight.

I also want a new L lens to go along with it, so need advice from any owners.
I have it narrowed down to: 16-35, 17-40, and 24-70.

Is 24mm sufficient for landscapes on a full frame? The 17-40 would be nice, but may not do too well for indoor use because it is f/4. I want a good general lens (already own a 85 1.8 and 28-135).

Well I decided to get a Canon 5D Mark II (will be ordering in the next week or two). The 1D Mark III just isn't practical for travel due to the large size and weight.

I also want a new L lens to go along with it, so need advice from any owners.
I have it narrowed down to: 16-35, 17-40, and 24-70.

Is 24mm sufficient for landscapes on a full frame? The 17-40 would be nice, but may not do too well for indoor use because it is f/4. I want a good general lens (already own a 85 1.8 and 28-135).

I'm still on waiting list at bh photo, at what store are you buying????

As for the lens between these I have the 16-35 and 24-70, I'd go for the 24-70 at full frame it's good enogh for landscape, and it's way more practical for a lot of situations than the 16-35

I'm still on waiting list at bh photo, at what store are you buying????

As for the lens between these I have the 16-35 and 24-70, I'd go for the 24-70 at full frame it's good enogh for landscape, and it's way more practical for a lot of situations than the 16-35

Thanks - I see some of those cool-looking shots at 17mm, which would be nice to do. i.e. The ones with large boulders in front and ocean in back.
But I think the 24-70 will be a better all-purpose lens, as you say.

Someone on dpreview posted a thread about some smaller stores. He said he used the MS Live Search 10% cashback ebay coupon for some store in Oklahoma, an authorized dealer. Go to live.com and type in the camera name, then click on the ad for ebay. A gold $ sign shows up for sellers who offer the cash back, with buy it now. I will probably go this route, based on the seller's feedback. I still need to set up my MS cashback account.

eta - the seller has like a 6000+ rating (99.8 positive). $200 cash back is offered off the msrp, free shipping.

OK - I just placed my orders for the 5DMII and 24-70 lens on ebay (through live.com) and ended saving 15% off MSRP on the camera and 12% on the lens (compared to BH), if the rebate is included.

Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that it will go smoothly. But some other buyers of the same products left good feedback.

This cashback thing is cool.

Got the 5D Mark II and lens:

5D2.jpg

:D:. Looking forward to some happy shooting.

Oh daaaaamn, that's a sexy camera.

I'm using an old 300D myself, just starting to get used to it after a couple of photo-taking excursions.

Just playing around with it inside. Haven't used it outside yet.
Real quick photo of a Chinese vase and carving (with my 85 1.8):

VASES.jpg

iso settings, aperture?

I think ISO 100, 2.8 (on a tripod). I didn't play around with ISO too much yet, but I did a few ISO 3200 shots, and some noise in shadow areas did show up but it was usable - a lot better than the 350D I have. Some of the low noise claims I've seen are probably just hype though.

Any word on yours from BH? I think bestbuy.com has them in stock, but I guess I rolled the dice a bit with ebay to get a good price. Do you have a gallery online?

Back
Top Bottom