DSLRs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of camera do you have? Canon? And what lenses do you already own?

I think Tamron also has a pretty well regarded mid-range zoom - I think it's a 28-75mm f/2.8-4 or something like that. It's supposed to be extremely sharp. My most used lens cover the range from 10mm to 200m, and that usually gives me all the coverage I need for landscapes. Occasionally I want a little more reach, but the Canon 10-22mm never leaves me wishing for more on the wide end.

As far as photography forums, my favorite one is fredmiranda.com - the caliber of photography on that site is really impressive - definitely gives me inspiration if I need it.

Diemen I am loving the D200 :drool: So I have the 50-200mm and I just bought 18-50. I was looking at a 200-500MM or should I go for the 100mm-300mm. Which would you recommend for Portraits or Landscape. Mofo if you can give me advice too it would be appreciated. About to start on my next project.

Ok another thing you guys which Lenses are a must for photographers such as your selves? I currently have for my Canon Digital Rebel XT. An 18-55mm, 18-200 and a 70-300. I am trying to buy some lenses for my Nikon D200 now and I might buy some other lenses for my Canon. Any Ideas? I uses Tamron and have had great results with their lenses.

The 200-500 isn't very well suited for portraits - that's more a lens for wildlife photography where you want to get a decent shot of something that might not be that close to you. The 18-50 and 50-200 cover a pretty good range for you. I'd consider getting a prime lens like a 50 f/1.8 or an 85 f/1.8. They'll be much sharper than your zooms, and the large aperture will help you isolate the subject from the background better (better background blur), plus let you shoot in lower light while still getting sharp shots. The 50 1.8 is pretty cheap too (both the Nikon and Canon versions).

My 3 must have lenses for landscapes are my Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, 24-70 f/2.8L, and 70-200 f/4L. For portraits I find myself using the 24-70 most of the time because, while it's not as sharp as the 50 or 85 that I have, it's sharp enough and the zoom range is very convenient.

DSC_0006.jpg

Ok so there is my Canon Digital Rebel XT. With my 18-55, 18-200 and my 70-300. I shot the picture with my Nikon D200 with the attached my Nikon 50-200mm lens. Also in the picture are my 18-50 and my Tamron 70-300. I have 3 batteries for each, Lens hoods, 4 Sandisk cards. 2 Flashes 1 for each camera. Filters, lens cleaner a blower to remove any dust.

Justin wouldn't it be better to stick with one brand, you'll be spending a lot in glass!!

True, but I the Canon is the first SLR camera I bought and It has sentimental value. I have not purchased a new lens for that camera in a while.

Diemen I am loving the D200 :drool: So I have the 50-200mm and I just bought 18-50. I was looking at a 200-500MM or should I go for the 100mm-300mm. Which would you recommend for Portraits or Landscape. Mofo if you can give me advice too it would be appreciated. About to start on my next project.

like Diemen said a 200-500mm isn't exactly for portraits or landscape, more like wildlife or sports, I would recommend the 70-200mm with IS, the 2.8 or 4,

The Nikon as I mentioned I got recently from a family friend who gave it to me as a gift.

are tamron and sigma compatible with canon and nikon?, I can't remember

oh and nice lens collection

Yes they are. Hey Mofo I checked out your website. Great photos. I am in the planning stages of making my own webpage also. How long have you been a Professional Photographer? Did you go to school or did you learn on your own?

thanks!! I really really need to update my page, it's been like that since august of last year, but I'm taking to long in choosing the pictures

as a professional photographer in Jan it will be my 2nd year, I took a couple of basic classes but mostly it's been from experience I can't believe what I knew when I started from what I know now.

The Nikon as I mentioned I got recently from a family friend who gave it to me as a gift.

Which one do you prefer, Justin? I'm guessing the D200's the more capable camera. I'd consider selling the Canon gear. The money would get you some nice lenses for the Nikon.

As far as technical terms go I am not to great at that, it's like with school never really good at it. I started in 2003 with a simple kodak point and shoot now I have these two cameras. I like you learned from experience. I do read some books and read up on forums or get advice from others. I had taken I beginning black and white photography class, that's it. When I get my page up, maybe we can exchange links, if that's cool with you?

Which one do you prefer, Justin? I'm guessing the D200's the more capable camera. I'd consider selling the Canon gear. The money would get you some nice lenses for the Nikon.

Well how much would I get for my canon rebel xt, and three lenses, where is a good place I can get a good deal, besides Ebay?

As far as technical terms go I am not to great at that, it's like with school never really good at it. I started in 2003 with a simple kodak point and shoot now I have these two cameras. I like you learned from experience. I do read some books and read up on forums or get advice from others. I had taken I beginning black and white photography class, that's it. When I get my page up, maybe we can exchange links, if that's cool with you?

sure!! I hope I get to do it by this weekend, I was planning on doing it this past weekend but I had work on saturday and sunday. Experience is really what will get you far, but it's still good to know certain basic rules from photography, I also got tons of photography books, I would go with Diemen's advice and concentrate on one brand, although I would go with Canon, the 50D is an amazing camera

If I did stay with one brand it would have to be Nikon. I mean I love Canon, and it has given me great pictures but I think I should part ways with it. I shouldn't be saying this cause I know Electronics have minds of their own and will not work after this lol. But I am prepping for my next project and The D200 is amazing.:drool:

Well how much would I get for my canon rebel xt, and three lenses, where is a good place I can get a good deal, besides Ebay?

go to photograph stores, I usually see a bunch of offers at the stores in here, and check amazon and bhphoto por prices, You'll probably won't get much for the camera since there are two newer versions or is it one? you've got the xt o xti?

I have the XT, like you said probably not much. My younger brother asked if he could take the canon with him to school, I could give it to him and not lose out in money and pass it down the family line lol.
IMG_9455.jpg

Took this recently with my Canon. Still a great camera.

just saw the specs on the D200 I would definitely stick with that one from the two options you have, besides it's never a bad thing to have a backup camera, just tell you'r brother to take care of it!!

I love my Pentax KD-100, it does RAW and the mount is backwards compatible with the older Pentax lenses.

I was after something to learn to shoot digital with, and it was a decent step up from my old minolta.

so my rebel xt sold on eBay. If I buy a d80 would the lenses I have for my nikon d200 be compatible?

Would anyone recommend some good photography books? I'm new to the DSLR world and feeling a little lost. I've read Nikon D40 Digital Field Guide and Nikon D40/x for Dummies to get the basics of my camera down. The only general photography book I've read is Photographing Your Family by Joel Sartore and would like more of that type.

My camera is a Nikon D40. My lenses are the Nikkor 18-55mm, 70-200mm, and 18-200mm. (I'm going to sell the 70-200mm soon). And my site: Flickr: Downtown Chinatown's Photostream.

Any feedback and recommendations on books or education, outside of taking classes, would be great!

Would anyone recommend some good photography books? I'm new to the DSLR world and feeling a little lost. I've read Nikon D40 Digital Field Guide and Nikon D40/x for Dummies to get the basics of my camera down. The only general photography book I've read is Photographing Your Family by Joel Sartore and would like more of that type.

My camera is a Nikon D40. My lenses are the Nikkor 18-55mm, 70-200mm, and 18-200mm. (I'm going to sell the 70-200mm soon). And my site: Flickr: Downtown Chinatown's Photostream.

Any feedback and recommendations on books or education, outside of taking classes, would be great!

you've got some great pictures in there!! I would recommend digital portrait photography and lightning, it's a really good book, I've got other's that are a bit more focused on studio lightning, wedding photography and other things.. I'm not to familiarized with Nikon, but my best adviced would be to see how far you can push the camera in terms of ISO settings, I would advice you to get a flash if you don't have one, why are you selling the 70-200mm?

why are you selling the 70-200mm?

I originally bought it so I could have some zoom capability beyond the stock 55mm. Then after purchasing it, I realized I needed more of a walk around lens that wouldn't require changing between zoom and wide angle, hence the 18-200mm. They're both VR, both Nikkor, and the 18-200 has a smaller f-stop. The 55-200 is a great lens, I just don't see why I would need to use it any more, so I might as well put the money to better use through books or other equipment.

What flash would you recommend and why?

Back
Top Bottom