DSLRs - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:57 AM
I own the Canon Digital Rebel XT and I love it, BestBuy is selling it for less than 500 now and is a 8mp camera.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
Thanks! love dpreview

Old 09-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
Babyface

Local Time: 06:57 PM
It depends on your budget. The D80 although about to be replace is still a fantastic camera, as will the D90. You can get lightly used D200 at reasonable prices at the mo and it’s a stunning camera. Semi-pro. D300, too advanced for a beginner which I presume you are.

I’m not a big fan of Canon as they don’t generally innovate. But no thought the produce popular cameras, not always the best but they are popular.

Now, I’m going to recommend Sony, I’ve been using Minolta and Sony A100 and A700. Check out my website at: Antrim Photography: Antrim Photography
Sony also make a A200, A300 and A350 which are aimed at the beginner.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:57 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I told you all that I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT. Well a good friend of ours for the last 20+ years has been getting into photography the last few years. I have helped her out, and she loves my book. Now she has a NikonD80 and a Nikon D200. Well she told me today she will be giving me her Nikon D200 as a gift. She loves the D80 cause it's much simpler for her. She says I deserve the D200 which she only used once. I can't believe she is giving me her 1000 dollar camera and Lense and accessories at no charge!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #20
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Sweet, Justin!

I'm going to be replacing my 20D sometime this year. Love the camera, but digital has progressed so much in the last few years that there's much better out there. I'm almost sold on the new Canon 50D, but then I'd love to move up to a full-frame camera, and Canon is rumored to be releasing their 5D mkII sometime soon. Don't know if I can afford that one, though, as unless they change their pricing strategy it's going to debut around $2.5k.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Canon is rumored to be releasing their 5D mkII sometime soon. Don't know if I can afford that one, though, as unless they change their pricing strategy it's going to debut around $2.5k.
Supposedly the release is at Photokina in 3 weeks - and maybe two replacement models for the 5D. Some rumor sites are hinting at up to 21MP and a new CMOS low voltage (and super low noise at high ISO) sensor.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 06:57 PM
I've the d40x and am pretty happy with it as an amatuer - I wish it had bracketing but I can get around that. Checkout your local Costco for deals - I hear some stores sell a kit with two lenses, DVD's, case, etc. for a good price.

If you plan on using Photoshop, you'll need CS3 with the latest patch to read Nikon's RAW files.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #23
Refugee

As a professional photographer I highly recommend the 5D, I own two bodies, and it's definitely worth the price, rumor has it that the 5DII or whatever it's called will be announced next month so the price from the original will drop, the main reasons of why this camera is worth it; it's full frame, the ISO is great even at 800 or 1000 it will give you great results, and at 12 MP the resolution is amazing.

I would recommend buying it new, the mirror from the shutter of one of my cameras came off, (after year and a half of abuse) send it two times to fix it and it would still come off, so I send it to Canon and they fix it at no charge even though the 1 year warranty had passed.

If you still think the price is to high, the 50D has just been anounced and it will be released sometime in Sept, from what I've read of the specs it's an outstanding camera
Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #24
Refugee

Liesje if you are going to be shooting a lot of action shots from your dogs, I'd would recommend the 50D at 6 frames per sec you can't go wrong, and the ISO should be really good at high settings. The 5D isn't exactly made for action shots at 3 frames per sec
Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I have a Nikon D50 and absolutely love it. The picture quality is fantastic, and it snaps pictures very quickly, which is very important for me.

The D40 replaced it as the entry-level model, I believe.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I'm still looking at the D80 or D90. I don't know if I need more than that, and really can't afford it. They are both a huge step up from what I have been using. I don't need something that snap a gazillion pics a second, as when I'm doing dog shows you have to know when to snap the pic (when the dog is gaiting at full reach, when the handler has him set up correctly, etc, so it's not always continuous shooting). I just want to make sure it is the best brand. What is the Canon equiv to the D80?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #27
Refugee

Weel the D90 is the first to have video mode, so no equivalent from Canon..., I think thats a good camera for what you need
Old 09-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

So it's more of a brand loyalty or already-have-the-lenses thing? I had Canons before and loved those, but they were not SLRs. Video is not that important to me.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #29
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

At this point in dSLR evolution, the choice between the two is really an individual one, which does often come down to brand loyalty or the lenses you already have. I'd definitely suggest going to a store and handling a few cameras. I prefer the way Canon's feel in my hand and the button layout, but then I've been using them forever. Some feel the same way about Nikon. Either make will give you great image quality and great features for the price. It really comes down to which one feels better in use to you.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
What is the Canon equiv to the D80?
The Canon 50D probably is. It was just announced and replaces the 40D, which is still available but may be slowly phased out.

Tags
cameras, dslr