DSLRs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Video is not that important to me.

The Nikon website makes the new video function sound appealing:
D90 | D-MOVIE

Features that sound cool are high-def video at film-speed and better low light filming, depth of field, and lenses than camcorders. Video will probably become a standard feature on most DSLRs in a year or two now that Nikon has added it.

The Canon 50D probably is. It was just announced and replaces the 40D, which is still available but may be slowly phased out.

Apparently Canon is insisting that the 50D is not a direct replacement to the 40D, so the 40D may be around for a little while longer.

Apparently Canon is insisting that the 50D is not a direct replacement to the 40D, so the 40D may be around for a little while longer.

Yeah - it could be almost a year or so before they pull it. They're currently offering a $150 rebate + lower prices on the 40d.

I am a Canon fan, but more for their lenses than the bodies. If you plan on spending lots of money on better lenses, I would say go Canon, but if you want a decent DSLR setup and just be done, you could go either way.

Canon's R&D is spent on their lenses...

The Canon 5D Mark II was announced today.

Key specs:

* New 21.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with improved EOS Integrated Cleaning System (E.I.C.S.)
* New Full HD 1080 resolution movie recording
* 3.9 frames per second continuous shooting
* High performance DIGIC 4 providing superb image quality
* Maximum 310 large JPEG images in a single burst with a UDMA card
* 3.0” VGA (920k dots) Clear View LCD
* ISO 100-6400 (expansion from 50 up to 25,600)
* 9 AF points + 6 Assist AF points

MSRP around $2700.
I will wait to read reviews before deciding to buy.

The Canon 5D Mark II was announced today.

MSRP around $2700.
I will wait to read reviews before deciding to buy.

me too, if reviews are good about the cameras performance I'll buy one by the end of the year, however I'll sell one of my 5D's or maybe even both bodies my biggest interest is the ISO performance wish they had put on weather sealing

I'm definitely interested in the high ISO performance. That's pretty much the main reason I want to upgrade from my 20D. Though a full-frame sensor and viewfinder would be a nice change, if the ISO performance between the 5DII and 50D are comparable, I may just go with the 50D - the $1K saved could get me a very nice lens. :D

I'll tell you one thing I am a little let down by - the AF. Unless these initial reports are mistaken (and I kind of hope they are), the AF is the same in the 5DII as it is in the 5D (and my 20D). Which is a little unfortunate, as the only high-sensitivity point w/ a cross type sensor (much more sensitive and accurate) would be the center point. I know that I'm sometimes frustrated by the lack of sensitivity of the off center AF points on my camera.

The new 50D has cross-type sensors at all 9 points. :hmm:

Diemen any particular lens you are thinking of?
I've been considering upgrading from my 70-200 f/4L to the f/2.8IS. Although as I've been getting into wedding photography more lately I also wouldn't mind a 35 1.4L, or possibly even the new 24 1.4L. Choices, choices! :D

the 70-200 2.8 with IS is worth it!! definitely one of my favorites and it's amazing for weddings, concerts, I even use it a lot for portrait studios to keep distance between myself and the person/persons

I hope that's the case. DPReview tends to be insanely thorough, though. And Canon has at least one mistake on the 5DII page. They say "35mm-equivalent focal length is approx. 1.6x the lens focal length" even though there is no crop factor for a full-frame digital.

Looks like Canon fixed their website for the 5D2 "AF Points: 9 AF Points (1 Cross Type) + 6 AF Assist Points ". That's a bit of a letdown.

Oh well. I'm really curious to see what the image quality is like on the 50D. It has more MP than the original 5D, and I get the feeling that it's going to be pretty comparable to the 5DII (taking into account the extra 6MP of resolution). If that's the case, then I know what my next camera will be. :D

the problem with the full frame Canon's is there is no equivalent to the 17-55 2.8 IS. When they get a 24-70L 2.8 with IS, call me. :)

There have actually been some rumors floating around about such a beast. :D

I have the 24-70 f/2.8, and even without IS it's amazing. My most used lens by far. Though I am quite tempted to pick up the 17-55.

There have actually been some rumors floating around about such a beast. :D

I have the 24-70 f/2.8, and even without IS it's amazing. My most used lens by far. Though I am quite tempted to pick up the 17-55.

I've got 3 lenses. The 50 1.4, the 70-200 2.8IS and the 17-55, I would ditch the 17-55 and go full frame and add the 24-70 2.8 IS (if they made it) and get the 16-35...and maybe add a 400 :)

As it is, I probably will go with the 10-22 and just buy the 50D (or 60D by the time I get around to getting enought $$)

I saw that - really amazing quality, and no doubt a feature that expands the creative capabilities of the camera. I'm not too concerned with video capability, though. I will say that of the sample images I've seen so far from both the 50D and 5DII, their is a pretty obvious difference in the 5DII's favor, especially in high iso. DPReview has a few sample shots taken at ISO 2000 that look like the same levels of noise in my 20D's ISO 400 shots. Which is insane. Shooting any film at ISO2000 would yield gobs of grain everywhere and loss of tons of detail, but the 5DII makes it look stunning. Even at ISO25600 the results, while quite noisy, are impressive.

It's definitely made me reconsider my previous preference for the 50D + lens combo. Not entirely - I'll definitely need to try them out in person first - but that kind of image quality is hard to deny.

I have to say that the 24-70mm is amazing, don't really get the IS since it's not a heavy lens and it's quite fast, although at low light condition I usually go with the 70-200mm, I also carry around the 16-35mm, 100-400mm, and the 1000mm Macro

I have to say that the 24-70mm is amazing, don't really get the IS since it's not a heavy lens and it's quite fast, although at low light condition I usually go with the 70-200mm, I also carry around the 16-35mm, 100-400mm, and the 1000mm Macro

You're the first person I've ever heard describe the 24-70 as not a heavy lens. That thing is built like a tank. :D

LOL!! come on man I've never heard anyone complain about the 24-70mm weight!! it's not that heavy!

Well, it's no 70-200 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8, but it ain't a featherweight either! :D It weighs more than your camera - come on, admit it: for the focal length, it's a beast!

with grip and flash they are probably the same...don't know man my 24-70 was my first L lens and for a while my only one so I got used to it quite fast! I used to own that one and a 70-300 which also weighs nothing compared to the rest telephotos, but it's still a great lens!! I still don't get why the need for IS!!

I've got a question about lenses for the camera gurus here - are Tamron lenses generally considered to be crap or can good ones be had? I like taking landscape style shots and really want to get a wide angle lense but really don't have the money to buy a Canon L series lenses. Specifically, I've come across this lense: Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8. It's got some good reviews on amazon, but would like to know what you guys think. Any other suggestions would be appreciated too.

It depends on the lens. Overall Tamron has the "great price/quality ratio" reputation. My main nit with them is overall build quality - it's not shoddy but feels a little too plasticky for my tastes. There are several lenses that have reputations for outstanding optical quality, though. I know the 17-50 is supposed to be a great value with very good optical quality. I haven't really come across any bad reviews on the photography forums I frequent. Having a constant f/2.8 aperture will come in really handy for low-light photography, too.

Should be a pretty safe bet. :up:

Back
Top Bottom