DS Light or Playstation Portable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
reading thru the websites describing these things gave me a headache. i read the pros and cons of each item and im more confused then ever. some of them have chat features (whaaa??) and lets you play against other players (does this mean i have to get a subscription of some sorts?) how does this all work?

tell me in your opinion if you have any of these things, which is the better product and why?

its a future bday gift for daisy.

I have a DS Lite. LOVE it! :drool: For games that are WiFi enabled, there is no charge to connect and play, you just have to have a way to be able to connect. If you don't have a wireless router, you can buy a little thingy (I'm so technical) that plugs into a USB port, provided you have a high-speed internet connection. Some games will also just let you connect wirelessly to another DS that is in close range...so if your friend has a DS too, you can interact with each other. Some people knock the the DS as a "kiddie console" because the PSP has better graphics and more "grown up" games...but since I'd rather play with Mario and Luigi than have a gory-first-person shooter, my DS is perfect. :heart:

Obviously, I am totally biased towards the DS though, and I admit that I've never played the PSP, so maybe a PSP fan can weigh in.

yeah, daisy's only requirement is the mario games...thats all she wants haha...

yeah, i'd like to hear from a psp player....

Depends on what type of games the owner enjoys to play. Both portables have very different libraries, multi-media capabilities, etc.

I only have a DS Phat and DS Lite. So obviously my opinion is going to be in favor of that for a couple reasons:

- It's smaller and more compact for easy carrying and folds up so screens don't get damaged in pockets. Also has a couple more colors to choose from. (traditional white, pink, and black, or traditional titanium, red, and blue)

- Much more established and wider variety of games/franchises, from pick-up-and-play mini-games to RPG's that can last hours.

- Backwards compatible with GameBoy Advance cartridges. Which is the biggest advantage, as it essentially doubles your library.

- CHEAPER!

As for the chat features and online gameplay. the DS has an application called PictoChat which allows you to communicate wirelessly with nearby DS owners, although it leaves a lot to be desired. Online play is free and wireless, most commonly with various "hot-spots" or Nintendo's USB Wifi Router which costs about $30-40.

icelle said:
yeah, daisy's only requirement is the mario games...thats all she wants haha...

yeah, i'd like to hear from a psp player....

How old is Daisy, if you don't mind me asking?

The PSP is more adult :shifty: sort of...

There are allot more action/sport/shooting/driving type games whereas the DS has allot more quirky games that Nintendo does so well...

I would probably go with the DS...

elevated_u2_fan said:

How old is Daisy, if you don't mind me asking?

The PSP is more adult :shifty: sort of...

There are allot more action/sport/shooting/driving type games whereas the DS has allot more quirky games that Nintendo does so well...

I would probably go with the DS...

daisy will be 11 next wednesday.

if the psp is more adult oriented then i'll def. go for the ds lite.

I'm working both May bank holidays just to buy a DS Lite. :reject: I chose it over the PSP because I prefer the range of games, I like the adverts for it, and it comes in pink.

The PSP is absolutely crap for first person shooters anyway....they really are awful on it and the controls are crap as well. Technically the DS would be so much better for them yet no one seems to have noticed and made one for it.

Anyway DS Lite all the way!

elevated_u2_fan said:

:lmao: I read that too quickly and thought it said sterile!
Wait, a masturbation-themed Nintendo DS game to prevent you from becoming sterile?

Hmmmmm :shifty:

You can play Mario games on a PSP through emulation, but I doubt an 11 year-old is going to look into that much, so nevemind lol.

Hizashi no Naka and Doki Doki Majo Saiban are the two I know of that are pretty pervy.

And no, I don't know this out of experience! :angry:

catlhere said:
You can play Mario games on a PSP through emulation, but I doubt an 11 year-old is going to look into that much, so nevemind lol.

Tis not so hard to do that I know of...I play around with my mate's PSP every now and then...but I think you need to use an older version of the firmware...as later versions prevent emulation...anyway he can play Mario 64 on his, along with a rake of Snes games...tis a cool gadget, but for new games with creativity and fun, the DS wins hand down.

i caved in and got her the ds lite for her early bday gift. im not so good at keeping these things secret.

she's one happy camper!

she picked white, didnt want the pink one lol. and she picked a supermario game. dont remember the exact name of the game. i'll get back to you on that.

I have a white one too. They didn't have black or pink out yet when I got it, but I would have picked white anyway.

icelle said:
she picked white, didnt want the pink one lol. and she picked a supermario game. dont remember the exact name of the game. i'll get back to you on that.
Super Paper Marioooooo!

I've had both a DS and a PSP. I found PSP to be horrible. Not very many games and too bulky to be a music player. I sold it for a DS and I'm loving it.

Sam surprised me with a DS Lite yesterday for no reason. :love: He tried to find Animal Crossing, but it wasn't available anywhere, so I have the dalmatian Nintendogs. I need to work out all the features and possibly buy the USB connector thingy (though some of the reviews on Amazon.co.uk aren't very good, so I'll need to find out more about it to see if it'll work with our connection, especially after we move and switch service providers), but I really like it so far.

What other games are good? I have Animal Crossing, Brain Training, New Super Mario Brothers, Cooking Mama, and Wario Ware on my Amazon wishlist, but I don't know much about the other games available. I love Kingdom Hearts, so I want to get the GBA game Chain of Memories, but I don't know if any other GBA games are worth buying.

For any suggestions on what games to buy for a system I always say it depends on what genres you enjoy. But if I have to give a list of games I've played or are interested in...

Mario Kart DS - Lot's of fun and it's WiFi so you can play with other people, though the game is pretty broken now that "snaking" techniques became the norm.

Castlevania: Dawn Of Sorrow / Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin - Awesome if you like the older sidescrolling Castlevanias that had Metroid-like level designs. Enemy's soul-capturing cards can also give you extra abilities and forms to solve puzzles or beat tough monsters.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - An extremely addictive rhythm game where you tap the screen along to the beat of J-Pop tunes and control a group of 3 agents sent out to help various people's problems through dancing. Weird, but worth importing. (or buying from Amazon)

Elite Beat Agents - English version of the previous game. Some say it's even better than the Japanese original. Others don't like the soundtrack which includes songs like "Sk8ter Boi."

Kirby: Canvus Curse - Controlled completely by the stylus, you pencil lines on the screen for a spherical Kirby to roll along through worlds and ram into enemies. Traditional Kirby platforming with a touch-screen twist. Shockingly fun, but maybe too cutesy for some people.

Final Fantasy III - The first time this game has been available to the Americas. (the original NES "III" was actually Japan's VI) It's a very traditional turn-based RPG but completely redone to display 3D environments and battles. Also incorperates Jobs into the gameplay for extra strategy.

Pokemon Diamond / Pokemon Pearl - Just released today, this is the newest game of the franchise. Doesn't stray too far from it's roots in Red/Green/Blue. Top-down overworld with random battles, and new Pokemon as well as legendaries. Don't know much about the game as it just came out, but it is WiFi enabled for online battles with friends and Nintendo plans to use the game to show DS/Wii connectivity for the home console's first online title, Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Back
Top Bottom