Do European computers have the Euro symbol instead of the dollar sign?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose it depends on where the computer is manufactured? My guess would be you install the right OS language pack for your country and it gives you keystrokes for any other symbols or letters.

On my keyboard the pound sign is above the 3, the dollar sign is above the 4 and the Euro sign is also on the 4 but it's next to the 4 instead of above it. So what's on a US keyboard if you don't have a pound sign at 3?

TheQuiet1 said:
So what's on a US keyboard if you don't have a pound sign at 3?

My Shift + [number]:

1 !
2 @
3 #
4 $
5 %
6 ^
7 &
8 *
9 (
0 )

Some numbers have more options if you hit Fn + Num Lock (I think)

Character Map for the win, guys

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Mine don't. The keyboard on my laptop has the same as the one Lies posted. Come to think of it, the keyboard of my desktop also has that sequence. I guess that's what happens when you have a US keyboard. :D
As for the Euro sign, it's right <Alt>+e on desktop. Don't really know what it is on this laptop keyboard. :hmm: Right <Alt>+e gives me é here. Weird. :huh:

Oh, it's <AltGr>+5 on the laptop. OK... :slant:

:)

Popmartijn said:

:hmm: Right <Alt>+e gives me é here. Weird. :huh:

Ohh it does that on mine too (well almost. It's <AltGr>+e). I never knew that that was how you got accents over letters. To think of all the hours I wasted going through the 'insert symbol' route (or just not bothering) when all I had to do was press <AltGr>! :der:

And I know this could go on for days but if # is over the 3 then what's under the ~? :laugh: Sorry but it's got me wondering.

TheQuiet1 said:
And I know this could go on for days but if # is over the 3 then what's under the ~? :laugh: Sorry but it's got me wondering.

Under the tilde (~) you have one of the accents. I always forget if it's the grave or the aigu (sp?). Anyway, it's the one tilting to the left: `
Back to you again. :D

we have all of them (pounds, dollars and euro)

pounds CAPS+3 £
Euro Altgr + e €
Dollars CAPS + 4 $

Normally $ is above 4, and € under the e, i.e. Alt Gr+e

But I've seen new keyboards where it was different.

The most important difference between the German and the American layout is, in Germany and some other countries we have a qwertz keyboard, and in America and other countries they have a qwerty keyboard.

i had to use a european computer when i lived in ireland this summer. my typing was all sorts of fux0rdd. i don't even remember what else, but i know the shit commands above the numbers were different, as well as some of the punctuation signs.

my question is: why the hell do keyboards have to be different?? why can't there be a universal keyboard? i can understand different outlets...i'm cool with different currencies...i'm barely tolerant of different measuring systems (why must the u.s. be so stubborn?) but why why WHY must we have different keyboards in english speaking countries?

Back
Top Bottom