Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:28 PM
How much?

Old 11-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

No prob. You can PM or e-mail me if you have any other questions or need advice and I can ask my boss. He's used Nikons for years and he's an amazing photographer. Here's some of his pics he's taken with a cheaper model Nikon digital, if you're interested:

http://www.calvin.edu/~bvriesem/
Thanks Lies! His pics are beautiful too, so much clarity in them. Really impressive what that cam can do, can't wait to go check em out!

Old 11-20-2006, 04:52 AM   #18
The Fly

Nikon models in your price range:

L4, L3, L2, L1

The L4 -> L2 all have a 2" LCD screen, a 3x optical zoom lens, and increase in megapixel count as such:

L4: 4 (video only)
L3: 5 (audio and video)
L2: 6 (audio and video)

The Nikon L1 Camera has a 2.5" screen and a 5x Zoom lens in addition to 6.2 Megapixels, and also shoots audio and video. However, I do not believe that the L1 is still in production.

All the Nikon cameras come with rechargeable NiMH batteries and a two year warranty.

Olympus FE 200

A new model for this year. It ships with a slow drain lithium block battery and has a 2.5" screen, and 6 megapixels. In addition, Olympus XD M cards save about double the number of pictures on the same size card as a camera of the same pixel count that uses Secure Digital. The only real let down with this camera is that it only shoots video when switched to the movie mode.

Canon A540

6 mega pixels, 2.5" screen, audio video, upgradeable lens, and manual settings.

The A540 has more features than I can really explain in one reply. The only drawback is that the A540 does not come with rechargeable batteries.

The A540 model shoots great images for such a tiny sensor, and has lots of features through which to learn the finer points of photography (before you move to a digital SLR).

happy shopping, btw
P.S.
All the chargers that come with cameras are multi-voltage models. All you need to do is purchase a plug adapter for the country to which you are traveling.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Thanks for all the info. I will definately look into getting a Nikon.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I picked up the CoolPix L3 today as an Xmas gift for myself and I love it! It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be too. Still haven't figured out all the settings but it's absolutely great so far! Thank you again for reccomending it!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Oh yeah one thing I was going to ask is if there was a way to speed up the shutter any? just noticed it takes a little bit of time for it to actually snap the picture.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #22
The Fly

If you check the menu, there is a setting for continuous shooting. What the camera does when the camera is set this way is write multiple files to the buffer and then to the card.

The biggest lag you'll probably find with the camera comes from use of the flash.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Chile
If you check the menu, there is a setting for continuous shooting. What the camera does when the camera is set this way is write multiple files to the buffer and then to the card.

The biggest lag you'll probably find with the camera comes from use of the flash.
That setting is for burst mode (continuous shots), when you want to hold the shutter release down and take multiple shots of the same subject.

AngelofHarlem01 is referring to a slow shutter lag, which is related to the camera evaluating lighting and focus of a scene for a single shot. That cannot be sped up in Auto mode. That's another reason why I use manual modes frequently - because the shutter lag is almost 0.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:44 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelofHarlem01
Oh yeah one thing I was going to ask is if there was a way to speed up the shutter any? just noticed it takes a little bit of time for it to actually snap the picture.
Probably not - from Steve's Digicam site:

"The L3's shooting performance was a bit sluggish for a camera in this class. Power up to first image captured measured 3.2 seconds, much of which is consumed by extending the lens. While the shutter lag averaged just /10 of a second when pre-focused, it slowed to a leisurely 1.3 seconds including autofocus time. When shooting in single exposure mode, the shot to shot delay measured approx. 2.1 seconds between frames without use of the flash and between 6 and 8 seconds with the flash, depending on subject distance and battery life."
Old 12-23-2006, 04:58 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Thanks!