Digital Camera Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VintagePunk

Blue Crack Distributor
We're having some trouble with our digital camera. This happened very suddenly, and there was no trauma to the camera prior to this happening. It's a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72, 4.1 mega-pixel. We looked online and found this post and response about the exact same model camera, and it describes the problem we're having exactly:

Q: I'm having some power/lens problems with my camera. When I turn on the power in either the picture or video mode, the green light will turn on for a split second then turn off. The lens does not come out at all. However, when I try to turn it on with the picture viewer or in the menu it works just fine. When I start with the picture viewer and then switch to the camera it turns off. Thus it seems that whenever I want to take a picture or a movie the camera doesn't work. I've tried reseting the camera but this did nothing. I've also made sure the batteries are fully charged, and in the picture viewing mode the camera indicates the batteries are fully charged. This didn't help.

A: it seems that the lense movement is jammed. Have you dropped the camera? just have a close look from the front side of the camera, does the lense assembly seems to be pressed or moved aside by some extra preassure? if no physical disalingment is visible may be some sand or dust partical is obstructing the movement of the lense assambly. needs a help from camera repair shop.

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem, and if so, what did you do?

My dilemma is this: the camera is less than two years old. I called a couple of local camera shops, as well as a Sony store, and was told that by the time I pay shipping to Sony and the cost of diagnosing the problem, I'll be about 3/4's of the way to paying for a new camera. I was also told that when it comes to digital cameras, pretty much only the manufacturer can do repairs (I was hoping I could find someone local that did work on all brands, thinking it would be less expensive). I really don't want to pay insanely expensive Sony repair fees, nor do I want to buy a new camera, at this point.

Any ideas or suggestions? :help:

:lol:

Same exact thing happened to me about a month ago. I was so upset and I thought it was dead for good. So one day in my frustration I grabbed the camera and smashed it against the table. It's worked fine ever since. In fact, I had another problem with sand getting caught in the lens cover and it wouldn't close but the smashing fixed it too.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend doing what I did just in case. I got lucky. :wink:

You might just be better off cutting your losses and buying a new one. Sending it back to the manufacturer is bound to be just as expensive as buying a new one. At least that's what I've been told. Sorry.

Sony = craptastic quality in general. I'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea for lenses to rotate in and out. It happened to my friend's Sony, and others I've heard about. I just turned it on and off, while GENTLY twisting and pushing the lens in the motion it usually goes. After a few tries, it become un-jammed and went back in.

I spilled some juice on my camera lens last night and now the shutter gets stuck when I turn the camera on and off. I tried to clean it with a q tip but it still doesnt quite open and shut all the way. Any suggestions? :slant:

Is it under warranty? Mine has a three year warranty and this summer I took it to Geek Squad for professional cleaning. Bono sprayed champagne directly into my face from about five feet away (see here) and while I hadn't noticed any problems with the camera, I took it in to make sure. I just said "I need this lens cleaned" and they didn't make me pay a dime.

If not under warranty, I'm sure you could pay them to do it. I'd be too scared to mess with the actual shutter inside, if that's the sticky part.

Haha that's funny, Bono fucked up your camera :lol:

No warranty. My Dad cleaned it for me with a Qtip and alcohol.. I think that did the trick.

I was also told that when it comes to digital cameras, pretty much only the manufacturer can do repairs (I was hoping I could find someone local that did work on all brands, thinking it would be less expensive).

This is not entirely true. However, should the camera need parts, the technician will need a schematic diagram (usually ships with service manual) and an account with Sony.

Technicians do not come cheap, regardless of where they work. However, if a local repair shop charges a smaller estimation fee, it might be worthwhile to make a few calls.

If finding a local service shop to offer an estimation for a small fee is not possible, I suggest you purchase a new camera.

VintagePunk said:
Has anyone else ever experienced this problem, and if so, what did you do? Any ideas or suggestions? :help:

I had a similar situatiuon with my Nikon; all freezes, my screen reads "system error"; I have removed the battery and reinstalled to get it moving and was lucky once; Long story short, its been to the shop twice in the past 2 years but has returned good as new until "the next time"...its just one of those glitches that cost me, you and other customers about $100 to repair..ps..follow your manufacturers recommendations and send it with a Return receipt...had my camera back within 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom