dial-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I'm currently using CompuServ, and I'm looking to switch to a different ISP... we're paying $21/month for 5kb/s on a good day.
I was hoping someone here could give me some advice, since all the websites describe themselves as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Anybody have dial-up? Any advice for me?

...I'm in the US, I guess that probably matters

Being cheap, I used to use a service called MetConnect. It was pretty good for a free ISP, but the downside was that it'd drop me like a hot potato constantly.

I believe it's still available if you know where to look. I think my speed was like around 30kbs... IIRC.

bono_man2002 said:

indeed
comcast has some kind of monopoly around here and there is no DSL available... just cable and satellite, both of which are out of our price range
Despite having SBC phone service, their internet service is also not available here.
It sucks.

Lies, I was looking at PeoplePC and thinking it sounded like a good deal. A few questions.. Do you have the accelerated version? Is it actually accelerated?
and since this is my parent's house I'm at for now... is it easy to use? My stepfather's not good with technology.

I seem to remember earthlink not being any less expensive... it has free tech support, but that's what children are for.

Sevikins said:
Being cheap, I used to use a service called MetConnect. It was pretty good for a free ISP, but the downside was that it'd drop me like a hot potato constantly.

I believe it's still available if you know where to look. I think my speed was like around 30kbs... IIRC.

their website says they're only available in the NYC area.. too bad :sigh:

Kristie said:

indeed
comcast has some kind of monopoly around here and there is no DSL available... just cable and satellite, both of which are out of our price range
Despite having SBC phone service, their internet service is also not available here.
It sucks

Oh I was in the exact same positon until April 2005....Even thought Most Australian broadband plans suck...I now enjoy a 2mb download/256k upload connection with a 60gb limit....

Sure something will become avaliable in the future, i waited about 5 years ....:wink:

Kristie said:

Lies, I was looking at PeoplePC and thinking it sounded like a good deal. A few questions.. Do you have the accelerated version? Is it actually accelerated?
and since this is my parent's house I'm at for now... is it easy to use? My stepfather's not good with technology.

I like it because you get a month free for starters, so I often sign-up to use on vacation (no other options at the lake) and cancel later on. I've never used any "accelerated" versions because typically that means it compresses image files and a lot of what I do on the 'net involves images. It's very easy to use. However, I never install the disc they give you. It installs the PeoplePC browser, which is annoying. I just sign up online with a debit card and it lets you pick a username and password and then you have access to the phone numbers. This is all you need to use the Windows dial-up connection wizard.

Kristie said:

their website says they're only available in the NYC area.. too bad :sigh:

Sorry! :( It's been so long I forgot about their service area.

But I did remember other free services that's availables... I usually just googled in free isps and my state and if anything, I'd get some results. Of course that which is free, comes with a price. I tried some free ones in my areas which were laden with ads when I signed on, would time me out to watch their "advertisements"... sometimes it's more worth it just to shell out the money to get a hassle-free ISP.

What about MSN? Didn't they have a somewhat cheap dialup? Or is that way too late?

Sevikins said:

What about MSN? Didn't they have a somewhat cheap dialup? Or is that way too late?

We used to have it and it was $14.99, so we switched to PeoplePC ($9.99 with a free month).

Comcast and there Monopoly!!! I have SBC(At&t) dsl. 19.99 for DSL Express.

Kristie said:

there is no DSL available... just cable and satellite, both of which are out of our price range

:hug: Comcast has a monopoly here too. I'm not sure if we can afford it. We'd probably go with no Internet rather than dial-up because with dial-up you still have to pay like $25/mo for active phone service, which totally defeats the purpose of me using the Internet and us sharing Phil's cell phone...

Back
Top Bottom