Death of my PC: (Get a MacBook? Another cheap PC? An iMac?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
I've never posted in this forum before. I'm not very techie.

Here is my sad story. My PC (Dell) completely croaked several weeks ago. Not sure what happened exactly, but clear it was a total catastrophic failure. I brought the computer to the local repair guy. He asked me what kind of virus software I had been regularly running. I said, "virus soft what?". Anyway, I could not find my reboot discs (or whatever you call them). My computer would not let him load any other version of Windows onto it. So, since then, this machine has been running something called Ubuntu (Linux). It's like eating unsalted Saltines with nothing to drink.

In the meantime, I've really been using my iPhone for all my email, internet, etc. since then. (Damn, I love that thing.) This is why I haven't had to run out to get a new desktop so fast. But, enough is enough, time for a new one. Here are my factors/questions:

- I am super-impressed with my iPhone 3GS. This makes me want to go Mac, but I'm concerned about all of this Snow Leopard vs. Windows business.

- I use a Lenovo laptop for work. It is a serviceable appliance. Can't complain. But I associate that device with the working world -- just like I associate the BlackBerry as a little typewriter for the working world. The iPhone and Mac just seem very attractive as my own thing. (Yes. I know that's probably their marketing -- but it works for me.)

- I don't care so much about the documents I lost on the old computer. It's the photos and music I lost that really sadden me. I'm working on getting the photos back, but can anyone tell me about my iTunes account? Did I lose forever all the music that I paid for and downloaded to iTunes? If I buy a Mac, will Apple let me download my account to that new device?

- Finally, and most importantly, I was thinking about getting an iMac. Then I was attracted to the idea of just getting a cheap PC to bridge for a bit. Quickly shot down that idea. Now I'm strongly thinking of just getting a MacBook or MacBook Pro to serve as my primary computer (and skip a desktop for a while until I figure out what I really want). I've checked both out, aside from the MacBook only being sold in white, it seems like the better deal (over the MacBook Pro) dollar for dollar. Can anyone confirm? (I'm probably going to buy before the weekend.)

So, if anyone is still reading this, I'd appreciate any advice on any of the issues posted above. Thanks.

Hey Knuckle. I recently purchased an iMac after being a PC user for most of my life and I love it so far. No virus programs which would bog the system down. It's very fast and you can multitask with out any slow down and the display is gorgeous.

I highly recommend an iMac or Macbook/Pro

How does everyone like Snow Leopard? I'm considering reimaging my Mac and upgrading to Snow Leopard while I'm at it, since my year old iMac has been really slow lately and I'm very underwhelmed (the 3+ year old Windows 7 PC is putting it to shame, surprisingly).

Snow Leopard wasn't that big of a leap from Leopard; I'd say it was a pretty marginal improvement in terms of speed and CPU usage. Maybe worth the 30 bucks.

I work in IT and it's one of my work computers so I won't have to pay, we have our own imaging servers and such. I'll just have to decide if it's worth the time, reinstalling all my apps and preferences.

I'm probably going to buy the MacBook tomorrow. I've been reading how Apple computers, etc., will not support any Flash video (which seems to make up a lot of the video content on the internet). That is a source of frustration on my iPhone. Is there any way around this so I can get Flash videos to work on a MacBook?

One advice; get a good cover or sleeve for it. You def want to keep it dent free.
My recommendation;

alu_mcover_black.jpg

Less than $20 in eBay.

Back
Top Bottom