Custom settings in Firefox disappear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
it seems that the folks at Mozilla can't help me on this one, so maybe someone on blue crack can?

I love using Firefox, it's so much more useful than IE. However, it seems to have one major flaw that continues to crop up and drive me nuts: any custom settings that I do to the options and/or toolbar buttons gets deleted or disappears upon closing/reopening Firefox. See the images below:

CUSTOM-BUTTONS.jpg

CUSTOM-BUTTONS2.jpg

Now this doesn't happen every time I open Firefox; I never know when it's going to happen. This started occurring after I upgraded to Firefox 3, and continues with all subsequent upgrades. It's really a pain in the patoot to have to reset all my custom toolbar buttons and my options settings over and over and over and over... :banghead: I can guarantee that it happens to me at least once a week, sometimes more.

I've tried clearing the cache, cookies, the XPC.mfl and XUL.mfl files, tried reinstalling the app, everything I can think of, to no avail. Even with this problem, I refuse to go back to IE.

Can someone please help me with this glitch??? :huh:

Can't help you, but I do know that my daughter installed 3.0 the first day it came out (Firefox had some thing where they wanted it to be the biggest download ever, and they urged people to download it the day of release), and had nothing but problems with it, so she uninstalled it and went back to 2.x. After hearing this, I decided not to upgrade, and still haven't, despite the box popping up once a day telling me that 2 is no longer supported, and asking if I want to upgrade.

I've been wondering lately if the bugs had been fixed, and if it's safe to download now. I guess not.

I made the mistake that one day when it randomly asked me to upload, I did.

Since then, I have off and on had problems with it randomly crashing. Always at inopportune times. And sometimes multiple times a day. There is no consistency to this occurring - like it doesn't happen every time I have some flash program running, or a pdf open, few tabs, lots of tabs.....it's totally random.

I've looked into it, and short of noting other people are having this problem I've not seen a fix. Sigh.

Maybe I should reinstall ver2 :sigh:

And I must say, my idealistic views of firefox have been much jaded by this

I don't plan on installing the newest version of FF on my new laptop when I get it later this week, based on what I've heard here and elsewhere about problems. I have it on my computer at work, and when it freezes up, I usually end up having to reboot my computer, that's how much it screws everything up. The older version isn't that hard to find if you Google it.

I use FF 3 on a Vista PC, XP PC, and Leopard Mac and it crashes on all three, worst on the Mac.

I honestly had no problem with it at all on my Vista or on Leopard. It's literally NEVER crashed for me in the time it's been out.

I miss Chrome on my Mac though.

I used this browser Opera Browser | Faster & safer Internet | Free Download for several years in the mid to late 90's. I liked it so well, I even paid to upgrade to the registered version (there is no registered version anymore, it's all free). I liked it a lot. It was much faster and far less unwieldy than IE and Netscape. I think it was around the release of Win 98 that I stopped using it. By then I'd upgraded computers, and speed with IE wasn't such an issue for me anymore.

From what I'm reading just now, it sounds like it's very similar to Firefox. Except, y'know, it probably works.

Back
Top Bottom