Connection working, but webpages won't load, messengers won't connect... Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamOutLoud13

Blue Crack Addict
Okay, so the other night my boyfriend's computer, for no reason at all, decided to start being a little bitch. Everything had been fine, then after he got home, he turned on the computer, went to get online... and nothing would load. Basically the server error type deal you get when your connection is down. Now, a thing like that happens from time to time on broadband (DSL), and turning off the modem for 15 seconds or so then restarting it usually does the trick. Not so this time. Nothing has worked so far.

The weird thing? The connection is still there and working.. it's also connected to a router for his roommate's computer, and the internet still working on that one, plus the network settings on the computer say that it's connected. But no webpages will load (in either IE or Firefox) and MSN messenger/Yahoo Messenger won't connect.

We tried lots of simple stuff: Restarting the computer (duh), restarting the modem, checking the cables, unhooking the router and putting the connection directly to the computer, flushing and renewing the IP, and even a system restore (to a few days back, before the problem started). So far nothing has worked.

I'm no computer expert... I've basically learned everything I know by bullshitting my way through, but if anybody knows how to fix this, give me instructions to follow pleaase :pray:

Maybe there's a problem with the network card of the pc. Try checking those settings. Otherwise, checking cables can be another thing, even if you've already done it. We had a cable that wasn't perfectly wired, and turns out one of the mini wires in there got loose. Had to cut off a piece of the cable and put it in a new 'head'. That fixed the trick.

That's sometimes happened if I don't have the WEP key entered on that specific computer. Is the connection encrypted?

Back
Top Bottom