Computer Repairs - are my expectations too high? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:17 AM
I like dealing w/ HP b/c they have one of those online chat tech support things. That way I don't have to deal with accents/ESL and don't have to interrupt to get my points in. I tell them I am a computer technician, I ran these tests, *this* is broken, yes, ok, send me the repair box, thank you good night.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:17 AM
Lucky for you Liesje. Do you know Cold Fusion? I'm looking for a webperson

Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Nope, I have it but don't use it.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Okay, so, let's recap. Monday morning I was told by Toshiba's Customer Relations person that approval had been given to do the repair free of charge to me, that the part was in stock and would be delivered by the next day.

Every day since then, I've called the repair places' (Metafore IT - I'm not protecting their identity anymore) phone line that tells you the status of your repair, and I've been told that they're awaiting delivery for the part. After being told that again today, I called the Toshiba Customer Relations guy back again. He said he would call Metafore and look into it, and get right back to me. This was noon-ish. I still haven't heard anything from him.

Then, I started calling Metafore myself. I left a voice mail for the CEO. Still haven't heard back from him. A couple hours later I called Metafore again and asked for a woman whose name the Toshiba Rep had told me Monday he spoke to. Got her on the line, and between the notes she looked up and my filling in the details of what I've been told from various parties, she seemed like she was pissed on my behalf. She said that the part HAS been on order since the 13th, and that Toshiba shipped it to a Metafore office in British Columbia by mistake, and that they're waiting for it to be returned from BC - it should be delivered to the proper office this Monday or Tuesday. I pointed out that since Toshiba keeps saying the part is in stock and would be delivered the next day, wouldn't it make more sense to place the order again, and then return the one from BC to Toshiba when it comes in. She said that Toshiba always promises next day delivery for their parts, but rarely makes good on that, and that she thinks the one from BC will be in faster than reordering it.

She said that Toshiba is making them look very, very bad, and she will be getting to the bottom of it for me, that I'm basically stuck in the middle of two companies that are passing the blame back and forth, and she understands my frustration. While we were on the phone, she was composing an e-mail to be sent to Metafore's national service manager, and their parts manager. She said that these two individuals will not take the complaints lightly, that they pride themselves on service, and that they will be all over this case. She also asked me for the Toshiba rep's name, number and extension, so that she could get in touch with him and attempt to straighten this out with him.

I told her this will be three weeks my daughter has been without her computer, and she said she realizes the hardship that that would cause because she has a son in college as well, and knows how students rely on theirs computers. I also said that at this point, I'm so angry at both Toshiba and her company that I would never use their products/services again, nor would I ever recommend them to anyone. She said she realizes that they've provided shitty customer service, and at the very least, I should have been kept better informed, and that she will do everything she can to restore my goodwill toward her company. She gave me the number of a direct line to her, and said she would let me know when she hears anything, and for me to call her anytime.

I'd like to say I feel cautiously optimistic, but with all the shit I've been through and all the assurances I've had over the past 2 1/2 weeks, I don't think I have it in me to feel hopeful.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

You should have sent your daughter to Costco to buy another laptop - they have a 3 month return policy. People at law school have regularly done this when their comps went to the repair man, because they needed something in the meantime.

Sketchy? Maybe, but it works and you're FAR less stressed in the meantime.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea that Costco's return policy was three months.

The funny thing is, we got the computer at Future Shop, and naturally, the salesman was trying to foist the 3 year extended warranty onto us. I told him one of my main objections to purchasing it is that they are notoriously slow with their service. He said that if a repair is going to take too long he advises customers to get a FS card and buy another computer with it, and then return it when their repair is done. I didn't bite on either the warranty or the FS card, but knowing that, I would have gone that route and gotten one for her to use during the repair, had they not been leading me on the entire time, promising the computer back within a few days. And now, if the part is going to be in on Monday, I don't think there's really any point in picking up another computer just for the sake of a couple more days.

Of course, I'll probably still be in this thread bitching about it still not being returned weeks from now, so who knows.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

And the saga continues.

Got a call yesterday morning that it was actually done late Friday afternoon, so on the way back to school yesterday, she picked it up. When she first booted it, the mouse was frozen, so she took it right back. The tech guy checked the connection for the mouse, said it was fine, and told her to leave it for 30 minutes and he would check the other connections. She picked it back up, had a class, then tried to use it again. Within 10 or 20 minutes, she started getting all kinds of blue screens, error messages, the mouse would freeze, the keyboard would freeze, it would go black then recover, it would spontaneously reboot, and on and on.

Today I called the woman who has become my contact at Metafore - yesterday morning when she called me, she said to call back if there were any problems at all. She said it sounds like it was a defective motherboard, that she would contact the tech guy at the Waterloo office, probably just order a new motherboard, and that my daughter could bring it in when the new motherboard comes in, hopefully tomorrow. At least that way she can use it for 10 or 20 minutes at a time between crashes.

She said that Toshiba are notoriously bad for sending defective parts. I told her that I'd read on some techy forum about a guy who was on his 9th motherboard from Toshiba, and his computer still wasn't working right. She said she's never seen anything quite that extreme, but she has seen up to three motherboards having to be ordered and installed before it's fixed properly.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

It's a lemon now. They should send you a new computer.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
It's a lemon now. They should send you a new computer.
Theoretically, yes. There are several problems with this, though. First, from what I've seen, Toshiba doesn't have an official lemon policy any longer, and if you want a new computer, you have to fight with them to get one. I've read of people having far more problems with them than we have, who haven't had their computers replaced. Secondly, I've read that when they do provide you with a new computer, it isn't really new, it's some refurbished piece of crap that's very often in worse shape than the one you sent back. I've read of people receiving replacements that have worse hardware problems than the ones they sent back, others that have had scratched up, damaged cases, etc.

We certainly don't want that, so for now at least, we'll keep trying what we've been doing.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Another update, and hopefully this one will be the last.

She took the computer in yesterday morning and they installed the new motherboard while she waited. She's been using it for the past day and a bit without problem. I hope this is the end of it, but I'm hanging onto the phone numbers I've accumulated just in case.