Computer Problems :( - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:27 PM
Computer Problems :(

This computer has been acting really weird the last couple of days. The family generally uses this one more than me, and basically uses it to go online. Well, today, we get random pop-ups, even though the pop-up blocker on the toolbar shows as being on (blocking). I don't know if someone went to a website, and now they randomly show up. Also, out of the blue the computer keeps opening tab after tab after tab.... of new web pages (we use Internet Explorer) and can't be stopped. I immediately hit control+alt+delete and close all out all the windows. I ran a scan earlier today, and apparently all was fine (NOD32 installed). Really freaky. And one of the pop-ups that showed up was saying that we had various viruses and to click to download something to "fix it", but of course I did not & closed it out. Any ideas what's happening or how to go about fixing this? It gets quite annoying

I just previewed this post before starting this thread, and got a pop-up for Blender

Old 03-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Sounds like spyware. I suggest downloading ad-aware and run a scan.

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Refugee

Try downloading Malwarebytes. It's free and the best, imo.

Malwarebytes.org
Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Sounds like spyware. I suggest downloading ad-aware and run a scan.
Yes this is some sort of spyware/adware. Make sure you have all the latest updates from Microsoft by visiting Windows Update

I suggest then running Microsoft's Malicious Software removal tool. Click start > run > and enter mrt.exe, click OK and do a full scan (this can take hours).

Also I recommend installing Windows Defender. (or ad-aware, whatever you choose there's no need for both)
NOD32 is usually pretty good, make sure you're keeping it up to date.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
New Yorker

Also try SpyBot search and destroy. Its free and its awesome.

The home of Spybot-S&D!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo! View Post
Also try SpyBot search and destroy. Its free and its awesome.

The home of Spybot-S&D!
I second that.

Also... Maybe in the future you may want to start using a firewall, the reason given that several people use that pc and there's not much control over what's happening there. I recommend ZoneAlarm firewall, There's a free version and a pro version. Obviously the pro version is going to work better but you may try with the free one.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

I believe I have Ad Aware and SpyBot on that computer. I haven't updated them because I thought NOD32 was supposed to take care of that type of issue, no? I can run those 2 later when no one is on the computer. NOD32 automatically updates, and I did run a scan on it yesterday, and all seemed fine.

I'm not sure if there's a firewall on that computer or not

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
New Yorker

Yeah be sure to update spybot. You can use it to "immunise" against spyware too.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

I ran the AdAware, but when I opened Spybot, no files showed in the window, and it wouldn't do anything. I'll see how the computer is running for now after that first scan.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
The Fly

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
I believe I have Ad Aware and SpyBot on that computer. I haven't updated them because I thought NOD32 was supposed to take care of that type of issue, no? I can run those 2 later when no one is on the computer. NOD32 automatically updates, and I did run a scan on it yesterday, and all seemed fine.

I'm not sure if there's a firewall on that computer or not

Thanks for all the advice!
NOD32 is an anti-virus, that takes care of the viruses and trojans. But you still need some other software to take care of spyware and adware, Spybot can do that for you. And the firewall it's to block other people (hackers) from accessing to your computer.

It's tedious and it would be great a program that could take care of everything, but oh well...

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

I ran Spyware yesterday, but the computer is still acting weird, and we still get pop-ups. I think I updated something with Java recently & I don't know if that could be a problem. My husband thought maybe it could have something to do with Google My daughter was somehow logged into Google (could see her email address on the screen). So we just logged her out and we'll see if that helps. It's just slow & can't open much simultaneously. We could have a Word document open, and one tab in IE Windows, and can go to the Start menu and try & click on something, and nothing happens. Or trying to save the Word document, etc. The computer has a lot on it, but still shows about 9GB empty space (75+ being used). I've tried deleting some stuff, but would have to go thru files one at a time to see what more could be deleted, and don't know if that's really an issue overall.

We just reboot a lot

Old 03-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I know how to fix it;

buy a Mac.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Try deleting temp files (in the browser etc). Percentage-wise 9GB free out of 85GB or so is not much. The disk is cluttered, especially since the programs and data reside on the same physical disk.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Buy me a Mac Carlos

ntalwar - do I need to have Windows Defender on this computer along with NOD32, and using AdAware & Spybot? This computer seems to be really f**ked up and strange things keep happening.

P.S. - I already deleted Temp Files by going into the Control Panel, clicking Internet Options, and then deleted only the Temp files
Old 03-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #15
Galeonbroad

Ok, that's odd then. Perhaps you accidentally installed a program that's doing this, like with google toolbar and such. Go to control panel > software
is there anything in that list that is totally unfamiliar to everyone who's been at the pc? If so, that might be the problem.

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer problem