Computer difficulties - mostly the mouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thora

Blue Crack Supplier
I hope someone can help me out here.

Today my computer has started acting really funny. I bought it last June, and this stuff today is the first sign of problems. I hope I can describe what's going on properly.

The mouse is acting all wonky. Every time I move it, the cursor is skipping around, and not doing what it should be doing. It won't go where I tell it to, and when it decides to do that, it goes very slowly and skips all around. The mousepad and everything else is very clean. I don't eat or drink around the computer, so there shouldn't be any crumbs or anything caught up inside it.

I've been playing some music in iTunes, and it's constantly skipping. I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary, and I don't get why the music isn't playing consistantly.

I also tried watching a video, and it was all jumpy as well.

Help! :help: Does anybody have any suggestions for how I can get this to stop, and for everything to go back to normal? Thanks.

This is an actual mouse, not a touchpad mouse right? Is it a USB mouse or PS2? Optical or rolley ball kind? Have you tried a different mouse, or it's a USB mouse, tried it in a different USB port?

If other things are skipping, it sounds like you're getting delays with the picture/video being displayed. It may be a memory issue. Have you installed anything new recently? If you open Task Manager, what percent of the CPU is being used when you notice these skips?

I have a Dell desktop - the mouse is the regular joe schmo mouse that comes with it - nothing fancy or hitech. I don't have another mouse that I could test, unfortunately.

I've installed Gaim and Limewire recently - that's it.

Where would I find the Task Manager? :reject: I really don't know a lot about computers. :uhoh:

You can right click on the time in the taskbar or do Ctrl + Alt + Delete once.

Do you notice the programs responding slowly, besides the skipping?

OK, if you open the Task Manager again and click the Processes tab, then click the CPU heading to sort by that column, see which processes are taking up the most CPU.

It could be that your need more RAM or there's a problem with the paging file. 68% is a bit, but not like some computers constantly running around 98% without the mouse skipping.

The most is Systm Idle Proccess, which was around 81, the next was Lime Wire, at around 55 at times.

Thanks so much for helping me out, Lies. It's greatly appreciated. :)

Hmmm, System Idle is fine, that's just accounting for all the CPU not being used. LimeWire is known to be a major portal for spyware and malware, so there could be spyware running that's controlling the computer or really slowing it down. I would download a program like Adaware and run a scan in Safe Mode.

I downloaded the AdAware thing, and it did make a bit of a difference for a little while. The skipping has been really bad tonight, and I think I'm gonna shut off my computer in a little bit because it's frustrating me so much, and I don't trust my temper around a non-cooperating computer. :lol:

I think I might try uninstalling LimeWire to see if that makes a difference. It's worth a shot to try.

Would you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Is Limewire really as bad as it's made out ot be?? I had it before and my laptop went gradually crazy over the past year. I called up Dell customer service and he kept saying that was the reason... he made me reinstall Windows all over again and said never to download Limewire again. Is there any other way to get music easily??

Since I've uninstalled Limewire, everything has gone back to normal. That seems to have been the culprit all along.

Thanks for your suggestions and help, Lies! :D

Back
Top Bottom