Clearing cache?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I do it. Many years ago I did what I thought was clearing it, but I crashed that computer, R.I.P. :doh: So I have this fear of deleting certain things from any computer now...

Anyways... this site has been running very slow for me the last few days. It was suggested I clear the cache/cookies. Are these the correct steps for a PC...

Go to control panel; go to network/internet connection; go to internet options; go to browser history and where it says 'delete temporary files, history, cookies, saved passwords and web form information' hit delete? Is there any way to delete files without deleting sites where you have your password information saved? I hate re-entering all that info. Also, if you are in the panel under 'settings' (in the browsing history area) and it says disk space to use, what should it be set at? Apparently my number when I first checked today was over 4000 :reject: and it should normally be 50-250mb. It's at 1024 at the moment :reject:

And I did reboot the computer on Wednesday, but there was no improvement on this site.

Any help would be appreciated. :pray:

FireFox: Tools > Clear Private Data > check Cookies and Cache (and anything else)

IE: Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Browsing history: Delete > Delete All (or the Temp Internet Files and Cookies)

Lila this should be done on a regular basis to make sure your computer runs up to par. Also it sounds to me like possible spyware so I would download adaware (its free) and run that as well.

Beav, :lol:

I don't need spyware. I have NOD32, and I also did a scan yesterday. I know I'm supposed to clear out the cache regularly, but since I had that problem I mentioned several years ago, I am leary of deleting things... :reject:

I use IE, so it sounds like, according to Liesje, what I was gonna do was correct. I need to wake up more before I start doing anything though...

Thanks!

I forgot to mention that my issues right now seem to only be affecting this website. The other sites/tabs I have open are accessing normally.

And what would I reset the disk space to use?

I don't really ever clear my cache or cookies unless I have a reason to (like a problem with a site such as you are describing or I've been doing financial stuff and want to make dang sure I'm logged off of everything). It's one of those things where it's not really harmful to not do it and it's not really harmful TO do it. Unless you actually have viruses or spyware stored in the cache or accessing it, the temporary internet files are just files like everything else on the hard drive. The size really doesn't matter, just depends on your hard drive space.

Hi Lila. I'm not a computer expert, but maybe that's your computer's way of saying, "DO SOME FUCKING WORK, WOMAN"?

I know Beav, I know :(
Have you seen me post much the last week or two? HAVE YOU?
I'm sure you got a lot of work done in Bali :wink:

Thanks Liesje. I'm just confused on why it's only happening with Interference, and not any other sites :shrug:

I know Beav, I know :(
Have you seen me post much the last week or two? HAVE YOU?
I'm sure you got a lot of work done in Bali :wink:

Thanks Liesje. I'm just confused on why it's only happening with Interference, and not any other sites :shrug:
No, I haven't. I figured the cache was shutting you and your little Smiley Kingdom down. Bali was great! Thanks for asking.

What I'm confused about is the fact that this is the only site that I'm going to that runs slow. Every other site runs/accesses just fine. I deleted cookies & temp.files, and rebooted. No change. I think it's a conspiracy :sigh:

:bump:

I'm wondering if this is the same problem I was having before. One of the companies I deal with has a relatively new site. Their old site is still up & running, but their new one is the one that they want everyone to use, even while they work out all the bugs. But basically the new one has been up for 4-5 months, and works alright. This last week, on and off, I have this problem in getting to the new site on my computer. One minute I can be on it, and then the next I try to re-log into it, and I get the good old Verizon webpage stating "Sorry, 'www.xxxxxxxxxxxx.com' does not exist or is not available". I've closed the tab and tried re-opening, no luck. I've cleared cookies & temp. internet files as well. Sometimes it just seems to be fine later in the day or on my other computer, but now when I need to be on the new site, I can't get there. Is it something on their end, or is it me, again :sad: I've never had issues with the old site, and I'm logged into it now. It's just the inventory on the old site is not accurate, which can be a problem. :help:

Back
Top Bottom