Change nameservers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
I'm transferring a domain name, and one of the questions is if I want to change nameservers. There's nothing associated with this particular domain yet, and honestly, I'm not even sure if that matters. Can someone explain how this works because I can't tell if it will make a difference one way or another from what I've looked up on the internet. Thanks. :)

I've never done this myself, but from what I've read, changing the host of a domain itself (not a website) is generally easy... just go to the new host, go through their transfer process, make sure that the domain is unlocked or whatever at the old host, wait a bit for the change to get through DNS, and change the nameserver settings on your actual webhost (assuming you have/get one) to those of your new domain host... whether there's any content or not behind the domain presently shouldn't make any difference.

You have to point the nameservers at where the domain is hosted, so you need to get that info from your hosting account and put in those nameservers.

Back
Top Bottom