car audio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
My "K9 Unit" dog kennel on wheels is a 2004 Mazda MPV. It came with the standard car audio - single CD, no tape deck, AM/FM radio. CDs are a royal pain in the ass because of the amount of long trips we take. I am not an audiophile so I don't need a tricked out stereo system, I just want to be able to play from my mp3 players and computer. I need a tape deck or an aux-in, whatever is cheaper and more do-able. Any ideas on how this could be accomplished and how much it would cost?

ETA: Tried the FM transmitter thing. It's a total bust because I could never find an open station, way too much adjusting constantly.

It shouldn't. Most audio players use a Mini Stereo connection for audio export. It is the same size consumer headphones use to plug into said devices.

You could even get an adapter to plug your phone in and play audio off of that if you'd like.

Yeah that's what I'm looking for. Nothing proprietary or any sort of "docking" station or charger. Shit, even something that plays mp3 CDs would be an improvement!!

What is involved in the installation? That thing does not look like it would fit in the unused space on my console.

check out crutchfield.com if nothing else than to see what can fit your car and what adapters you can get to fit your car.

edit: regarding what's involved most times it popping open the dash (or part of) and connection the wires. Everything is color coded so it should be too bad.

Crutchfield had nothing for my year, make, model, and stereo, at least not as far as aux-in adapters. :( I guess the MPV is not the kind of vehicle you buy to pimp out!

I open laptop computers on a daily basis and like you say, everything's either color coded or the wire can only fit into one hole. I've never done anything of any sort on a vehicle before but if it's just a matter of prying off the plastic cover and tinkering, do you think I could figure it out?

Back
Top Bottom