Can I transfer programs after I've re-installed Windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
So, about a week ago my computer got smacked by some funky virus. Killed my antivirus software, made my user & desktop corrupt, wouldn't let me download new AV software, the works. System Restore failed me. Ultimately had to re-install Windows (I use Vista 64-bit). I assumed that since the disc said that it had everything on it that was on my computer when it left the factory, that all of my basics would be there-----my built-in webcam program, my touchpad drivers, etc. However, lo and behold--it's not. All the Gateway stuff isn't there, including the webcam program, etc.

Oddly enough, when I did the re-install, Windows saved everything that I used to have under a folder entitled "Windows.old." A few things didn't pass the ChkDsk (I assume they were infected), and everything that's left has passed chkdsk and my new antivirus. So, I plan on just copying all of my files & documents from this windows.old folder instead of from my external hard drive (it's just easier).

But my question is this: If I have programs that are saved in this windows.old folder, can I just copy & paste them over to my regular 'windows' folder? I feel like I've tried to copy & paste program folders in the past and failed, but I don't know how else to get these things. Gateway's website has let me download some of my missing drivers, but they don't offer much direction in terms of where to get the original programs. The one I care most about is the webcam one, though I wouldn't mind just getting back everything that initially came with the computer.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

No, you can't copy and paste program files because that doesn't effect the registry, they need to be reinstalled. If you had any files saved that you had created, or any templates or personal settings that it saved, you could probably move or import those.

Thanks, guys. I've been able to figure it out. My Gateway does have a recovery partition, but I was unable to perform a "Full Factory Restore" for some reason after I'd re-installed Vista already. What I was able to do, however, was do an advanced search and find an install program for "Gateway Recovery Center" buried in that windows.old folder. I installed it and was able to connect through that to the recovery partition & reinstall everything that I wanted.

Whew!

Back
Top Bottom