Camera help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samralf

War Child
I have a Canon Powershot S5 and I can't get a clear picture to save my life. I try taking pictures on Auto and Manual and they always look grainy. I was thinking about upgrading to a Nikon D40 or the D60. Anybody have any opinions on those models? Or do you think if I get some lenses the Canon will take clearer shots?

Here are some examples:

IMG_0522.jpg

Copyofhome022.jpg

I'd get the DSLR rather than add on to the Canon. You will be much happier with the results. I've been shooting dogs with the DSLR for almost a year and I'm still in a honeymoon period!

The D40x is great b/c it's cheap and small, probably not much or any bigger than your S5 depending on what lens you use. I can't afford nice lenses like Julie and her friends, my favorite is the 55-200mm VR which you can find for less than $200. If you shoot at the right time of day and position yourself in the right spot relative to the sun, there's no need to spend thousands on the camera or lens, the shots will improve 100% over the point-and-shoot (not b/c you're doing anything wrong, but the technology is so much better for what you want to shoot).

I have a Canon Powershot S5 and I can't get a clear picture to save my life.
my fiance has that camera, actually. i just have the s2 and my photos are fine, though i've never messed with any of my settings and always take photos in auto mode so that's no help. :lol: i'll see if he has any tips :hmm:

I have a Canon Powershot S5 and I can't get a clear picture to save my life. I try taking pictures on Auto and Manual and they always look grainy. I was thinking about upgrading to a Nikon D40 or the D60. Anybody have any opinions on those models? Or do you think if I get some lenses the Canon will take clearer shots?

Can you post the shot settings for these? Zoombrowser software should display them. Specifically ISO, aperture, shutter speed. The first one looks the most grainy. I don't think you can interchange lenses on the S5. It looks like flash was not used, so maybe the higher ISO of the shots due to low light is adding noise. The S5, btw, has noticeable detail loss starting at ISO 200 according to reviews. That is considered noisy. It may be time to upgrade to a decent DSLR.

Pic #1: iso 1600; shutter speed 1/20; AV 5
Pic #2: iso 400; shutter speed 1/250; AV 8
Pic #3: iso 800; shutter speed 1/40; AV 3.5

Pictures 1 and 3 were taken at the same time. The only difference, besides the settings, is one dog was on the left side of the room and the other dog was on the right.

Picture 1: Shooting Mode: Aperture-Priority AE
Pictue 2: Shooting Mode Sports
Picture 3: Shooting Mode Sports

Pic #1: iso 1600; shutter speed 1/20; AV 5
Pic #2: iso 400; shutter speed 1/250; AV 8
Pic #3: iso 800; shutter speed 1/40; AV 3.5

Pictures 1 and 3 were taken at the same time. The only difference, besides the settings, is one dog was on the left side of the room and the other dog was on the right.

The high ISOs explain the noise. Try ISO 100 or 200 in a different mode (and maybe on a tripod or surface) for the still shots. Unfortunately that camera isn't designed for low light or action - it will give a high ISO/grainy image. See the ISO results here: DCRP Review: Canon PowerShot S5 IS

A DSLR will generally give much better high ISO/low noise performance. For example, my Canon 5D Mark II produces very clean images up to ISO 3200. I'd research and look at image samples of ISO 400, 800, 1600 for any dslr you're intersted in.

Copyofhome031.jpg

Shooting Mode Auto
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/1600
Av (Aperture Value) 3.5
ISO Speed 100(High ISO Auto)
Flash Off

home004.jpg

Shooting Mode Auto
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/60
Av (Aperture Value) 2.7
ISO Speed 250(High ISO Auto)
Flash On

The high ISOs explain the noise. Try ISO 100 or 200 in a different mode (and maybe on a tripod or surface) for the still shots. Unfortunately that camera isn't designed for low light or action - it will give a high ISO/grainy image. See the ISO results here: DCRP Review: Canon PowerShot S5 IS

A DSLR will generally give much better high ISO/low noise performance. For example, my Canon 5D Mark II produces very clean images up to ISO 3200. I'd research and look at image samples of ISO 400, 800, 1600 for any dslr you're intersted in.

Thanks for the help!! :)

The Shelties are cute BTW.

I have the Nikon D40X; I think it's called the D60 now. It is my first DSLR, after several digital point-n-shoots. I'm quite happy with it. I do some semi-professional shots with it for work (I'm far from a professional)--buildings, building products and components for trade magazines or client use.

It's nice to have a pocket-sized digital camera, too. I don't know what all you want to photograph, but consider that you might not always want to carry around the DSLR for pictures.

Mark

my fiance has that camera, actually. i just have the s2 and my photos are fine, though i've never messed with any of my settings and always take photos in auto mode so that's no help. :lol: i'll see if he has any tips :hmm:

since the problem seems to have been resolved, i'll still add my two cents in saying i'd never had much of an issue with the camera, except for getting grainy shots when i wasn't using the appropriate auto setting.

One problem with the dogs running pic is that the light is so bright and the dogs are in the shadow. I've had that before. So hard to catch them in just the right position relative to the light! I've found that shooting on a foggy or slightly overcast day (so there is light but it's more even) or in the evening gets me the best dog pics.

What's the price difference? What about the D40x?

Amazon:

Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens $549.95

Nikon D40x 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens $1089.44

Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens $449.99

b&h photo:

Nikon D40 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm & 55-200 VR Lenses $649.95

D60 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm VR Lens $549.99

Nikon D40x 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens $1089.44

That must be a mistake. My D90 was cheaper than that!

I'd get a kit with the 18-55 and 55-200VR.

Nope, not a mistake. The only D40X I can find online are so pricey I would be better off with the D90!

Back
Top Bottom