Buying New Laptop need recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mofo

Refugee
Hi Guys so I'm buying a Latop since I'm doing a lot of work in ads, publicity, etc,

The thing is my desktop computer is starting to slow down due to having to many programs AutoCad, 3D Studio, Formz, Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and all the regulars, norton, quicktime, realplayer, etc etc, Anyway I'm looking for at least 80 GB of hard disk, anyway I would really appreciate if ayone can recommend me a particular brand/model

I'm only planning on installing some programs not a lot, probably just the design programs with the exception of CAD, 3d Studio, and Form Z

Do you work in graphic design? If so, I'd say that a Mac is your best option. It will run all of your programs very quickly with no problems. Right now, the MacBook has an 80GB hard drive, dual layer SuperDrive.

I'm a Mac user, so I can only suggest that to you. I'm sure someone else will be around to suggest a Windows based laptop if that's what you're looking for.

onebloodonelife said:
Do you work in graphic design? If so, I'd say that a Mac is your best option. It will run all of your programs very quickly with no problems. Right now, the MacBook has an 80GB hard drive, dual layer SuperDrive.

I'm a Mac user, so I can only suggest that to you. I'm sure someone else will be around to suggest a Windows based laptop if that's what you're looking for.

well I finished college with an Industrial Design degree but I've been doing a lot of graphic design work

I'm definitely open to buying a Mac, but would I have to buy software programs again?? would I have trouble if I have a windows desktop for working with files in both?

Get at least 1GB of RAM if you want the laptop to last a while and you want to be able to run all those programs. I use Dreamweaver on a daily basis and I only have 256MB RAM in my laptop. Sometimes it's faster just to type HTML in Notepad :banghead:

As for Windows models, we've use high end IBMs (including our architects and graphic design people) for years and they've performed very well. The only problem is now I believe the company has moved to Japan, so if there ever is a time we need support beyond what we provide, it'll happen when hell freezes over.

If you can run your apps on a Mac, I'd get a good Mac.

Last edited:
if you can, it might be a good idea to wait until windows vista is released. it's supposed to be early next year.

Liesje said:
Get at least 1GB of RAM if you want the laptop to last a while and you want to be able to run all those programs. I use Dreamweaver on a daily basis and I only have 256MB RAM in my laptop. Sometimes it's faster just to type HTML in Notepad :banghead:

As for Windows models, we've use high end IBMs (including our architects and graphic design people) for years and they've performed very well. The only problem is now I believe the company has moved to Japan, so if there ever is a time we need support beyond what we provide, it'll happen when hell freezes over.

If you can run your apps on a Mac, I'd get a good Mac.

yeah I'm definitley getting 1 GB RAM, I have a Dell with 512 MB RAM and it's been working great for almos 3 years but lately is starting to really slow down.

I'll look into the apps running on both mac and windows, if at least most of them do I'll buy a MAC

oh and thanks for the suggestion U2Man I'll look into the Windows Vista maybe it's worth waiting a couple of months

I'd get a machine that's Windows Vista-ready before I'd get one with Vista on it. It's probably going to be quite buggy at first. I never get a new operating system within it's first year. I'd get one that had all the hardware specs to run Vista and then wait for a stable build.

Liesje said:
I'd get a machine that's Windows Vista-ready before I'd get one with Vista on it. It's probably going to be quite buggy at first. I never get a new operating system within it's first year. I'd get one that had all the hardware specs to run Vista and then wait for a stable build.

I was thinking the same, I'll wait on this one, so I'll keep looking into the laptops theres to many:scream:

I'd go with a Mac myself, but I'm not sure about the software situation. The files, however, should work with either. If you create a pdf file, CAD file, mp3 file in Windows, that same file will work on a Mac.

thanks with that I think it's pretty much settled, I went today to an official Apple distributor, I get either one in $2300 or $3300
can't remember the models but

$2300
512 MB RAM
80 GB of Hard Disk

$3300
1 MB RAM
120 GB of Hard Disk

now I have to compare prices in the states maybe I'll wait and buy it there if the price is way lower

Those prices do seem really high, even for Macs (so says the certified Mac expert sitting next to me).

13" MacBook w/ 1GB RAM and 120 GB hard drive is $1500. A 17" is $2000. You can probably find better deals and discounts at a local distributor.

Last edited:
here are the models

Macbook Pro 17" would be the $3300; $3067 with the right conversion; at amazon $2500

Macbook Pro 15.4" would be the $2300; actually $2106 with the right conversion; at best buy $2000

the things is plus taxes, my guess is the 15.4" would cost pretty much the same and the Pro 17" the real difference would be about $150 bucks, now the real pro in here is that I can get a 12 month deal to pay the computer, whereas in Amazon or Best Buy I won't.

another thing could anyone recommend me a small printer for MAC, something that I could carry around, I think I'm definitely going for the MAC

Back
Top Bottom