Buying New Laptop need recommendations - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Refugee
 
Mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MTY, Mexico
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 05:55 PM
Buying New Laptop need recommendations

Hi Guys so I'm buying a Latop since I'm doing a lot of work in ads, publicity, etc,

The thing is my desktop computer is starting to slow down due to having to many programs AutoCad, 3D Studio, Formz, Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and all the regulars, norton, quicktime, realplayer, etc etc, Anyway I'm looking for at least 80 GB of hard disk, anyway I would really appreciate if ayone can recommend me a particular brand/model

I'm only planning on installing some programs not a lot, probably just the design programs with the exception of CAD, 3d Studio, and Form Z
__________________

__________________
Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 06:55 PM
Do you work in graphic design? If so, I'd say that a Mac is your best option. It will run all of your programs very quickly with no problems. Right now, the MacBook has an 80GB hard drive, dual layer SuperDrive.

I'm a Mac user, so I can only suggest that to you. I'm sure someone else will be around to suggest a Windows based laptop if that's what you're looking for.
__________________

__________________
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Refugee
 
Mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MTY, Mexico
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife
Do you work in graphic design? If so, I'd say that a Mac is your best option. It will run all of your programs very quickly with no problems. Right now, the MacBook has an 80GB hard drive, dual layer SuperDrive.

I'm a Mac user, so I can only suggest that to you. I'm sure someone else will be around to suggest a Windows based laptop if that's what you're looking for.
well I finished college with an Industrial Design degree but I've been doing a lot of graphic design work

I'm definitely open to buying a Mac, but would I have to buy software programs again?? would I have trouble if I have a windows desktop for working with files in both?
__________________
Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 06:55 PM
Get at least 1GB of RAM if you want the laptop to last a while and you want to be able to run all those programs. I use Dreamweaver on a daily basis and I only have 256MB RAM in my laptop. Sometimes it's faster just to type HTML in Notepad

As for Windows models, we've use high end IBMs (including our architects and graphic design people) for years and they've performed very well. The only problem is now I believe the company has moved to Japan, so if there ever is a time we need support beyond what we provide, it'll happen when hell freezes over.

If you can run your apps on a Mac, I'd get a good Mac.
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: at pavel's
Posts: 11,603
Local Time: 12:55 AM
if you can, it might be a good idea to wait until windows vista is released. it's supposed to be early next year.
__________________
U2Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
Refugee
 
Mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MTY, Mexico
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
Get at least 1GB of RAM if you want the laptop to last a while and you want to be able to run all those programs. I use Dreamweaver on a daily basis and I only have 256MB RAM in my laptop. Sometimes it's faster just to type HTML in Notepad

As for Windows models, we've use high end IBMs (including our architects and graphic design people) for years and they've performed very well. The only problem is now I believe the company has moved to Japan, so if there ever is a time we need support beyond what we provide, it'll happen when hell freezes over.

If you can run your apps on a Mac, I'd get a good Mac.
yeah I'm definitley getting 1 GB RAM, I have a Dell with 512 MB RAM and it's been working great for almos 3 years but lately is starting to really slow down.

I'll look into the apps running on both mac and windows, if at least most of them do I'll buy a MAC

oh and thanks for the suggestion U2Man I'll look into the Windows Vista maybe it's worth waiting a couple of months
__________________
Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 06:55 PM
I'd get a machine that's Windows Vista-ready before I'd get one with Vista on it. It's probably going to be quite buggy at first. I never get a new operating system within it's first year. I'd get one that had all the hardware specs to run Vista and then wait for a stable build.
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
Refugee
 
Mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MTY, Mexico
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
I'd get a machine that's Windows Vista-ready before I'd get one with Vista on it. It's probably going to be quite buggy at first. I never get a new operating system within it's first year. I'd get one that had all the hardware specs to run Vista and then wait for a stable build.
I was thinking the same, I'll wait on this one, so I'll keep looking into the laptops theres to many
__________________
Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #9
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 06:55 PM
I'd go with a Mac myself, but I'm not sure about the software situation. The files, however, should work with either. If you create a pdf file, CAD file, mp3 file in Windows, that same file will work on a Mac.
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:36 PM   #10
Refugee
 
Mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MTY, Mexico
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 05:55 PM
thanks with that I think it's pretty much settled, I went today to an official Apple distributor, I get either one in $2300 or $3300
can't remember the models but

$2300
512 MB RAM
80 GB of Hard Disk

$3300
1 MB RAM
120 GB of Hard Disk

now I have to compare prices in the states maybe I'll wait and buy it there if the price is way lower
__________________
Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 06:55 PM
Those prices do seem really high, even for Macs (so says the certified Mac expert sitting next to me).

13" MacBook w/ 1GB RAM and 120 GB hard drive is $1500. A 17" is $2000. You can probably find better deals and discounts at a local distributor.
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #12
Refugee
 
Mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MTY, Mexico
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 05:55 PM
here are the models

Macbook Pro 17" would be the $3300; $3067 with the right conversion; at amazon $2500

Macbook Pro 15.4" would be the $2300; actually $2106 with the right conversion; at best buy $2000

the things is plus taxes, my guess is the 15.4" would cost pretty much the same and the Pro 17" the real difference would be about $150 bucks, now the real pro in here is that I can get a 12 month deal to pay the computer, whereas in Amazon or Best Buy I won't.
__________________
Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:39 PM   #13
Refugee
 
Mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MTY, Mexico
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 05:55 PM
another thing could anyone recommend me a small printer for MAC, something that I could carry around, I think I'm definitely going for the MAC
__________________

__________________
Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com