Bought new computer and........oh crap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
My old laptop was really showing its age, so I picked up a new one (Gateway with Centrino Duo, Vista, etc). I've set up a network so that I can send all my old files, music, pics, etc. to the new one.....but I have to big questions:

1). Do I have to do anything special to use my iPod on this new computer? Do I have to transfer over the "iPod" folder that's in "Programs" on the other one....and will that work? And on a related note, will music & videos purchased on the old computer work on the new one if I just send the files over the network?

2). Programs-- My antivirus software (NOD32) and other programs...I'm guessing that the only way to send them over and have them run effectively is if they have an install.exe file and I can officially install it on the new computer. Is that right? I guess if I just copied everything, it might work...but I just have the (possibly incorrect) feeling that they need to be officially installed.

Any advice & help would be greatly appreciated! :D

D'oh! So iTunes let me use all the purchased stuff once I signed in. But when it added all of my music, it created doubles of 95% of it. :mad:

Utoo said:
D'oh! So iTunes let me use all the purchased stuff once I signed in. But when it added all of my music, it created doubles of 95% of it. :mad:

I really hate when that happens. At least you got all of your files, right?

LemonMacPhisto said:

I really hate when that happens. At least you got all of your files, right?

Yeah, it's all good. I went through and manually deleted all of the doubles. It was a pain for a few hours, but now it's done.

The real test---I haven't plugged my ipod into my new computer yet.... :shifty: (redesigning my U2 folders, so I'll do it after that). I imagine everything should be fine, but I'm curious....

Utoo said:

Yeah, it's all good. I went through and manually deleted all of the doubles. It was a pain for a few hours, but now it's done.

The real test---I haven't plugged my ipod into my new computer yet.... :shifty: (redesigning my U2 folders, so I'll do it after that). I imagine everything should be fine, but I'm curious....

I suggest re-making your folders and playlists you had on your iPod first on iTunes, just in case your iPod decides to reset and start fresh on your new computer.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I suggest re-making your folders and playlists you had on your iPod first on iTunes, just in case your iPod decides to reset and start fresh on your new computer.

Thanks...maybe I'll do that first. It's my project for this week. The hardest part will be deciding which of the hundred-some bootlegs to put on. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom