Bought my camera!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I finally bought my camera on Friday! I got a Nikon D90 body with the kit lens (Nikon 18-105mm VR). I wanted the 18-200mm VR II but my bank account would have none of that. So, in the future I'll be looking into something like the 70-300 or buy a 55-200 which is what I've been learning on (but don't own the kit). I also want something like the 50mm f/1.4 lens for indoor. Or I'll entertain other suggestions.

Ordered:
D90 body (comes with battery, charger, caps, cables)
18-105mm VR lens
remote shutter release
two memory cards
LCD protector
3 year extended warranty covering accidental damage

Already have:
tripod
Nikon flash
macro adapter

Planning to buy:
bag/case (as soon as my stuff arrives)
polarizer
battery grip (will have to save for this)

So what else do I need for starters?

Ah man, photography is a hobby I stay away from because of the prices involved! Very cool, though.

You should get into stock photography with a site like iStockPhoto and make some passive income off of that. I have a friend who is a decent photographer with an expensive DSLR and he makes 200-300$ / month from his stock photohraph collection.

Really nice! :) I used the D90 a bit in Mexico a few weeks ago and I really liked it a lot.

If you don't want a camera bag that looks like a camera bag, go with Crumpler. I use their bags for cameras and laptops and they've always served me well.

Ah man, photography is a hobby I stay away from because of the prices involved! Very cool, though.

You should get into stock photography with a site like iStockPhoto and make some passive income off of that. I have a friend who is a decent photographer with an expensive DSLR and he makes 200-300$ / month from his stock photohraph collection.

Cool, I'm working on an app right now. Can't hurt to try right? Nothing to lose. It's hard to pick just three photos for the app, especially since 95% of mine I know fit into their unwanted/unneeded categories (what can I say, I love dogs, nature, flowers...).

My camera left the warehouse at 7:16pm this evening and is "on time" for 3/4/09 delivery! :dance: :hyper:

If you don't want a camera bag that looks like a camera bag, go with Crumpler. I use their bags for cameras and laptops and they've always served me well.

I just checked out their site. Cool stuff, but I can't find any sling bags and that's kind of what I want. Not a full backpack, but not a messenger bag/long shoulder strap.

You should get into stock photography with a site like iStockPhoto and make some passive income off of that.

I finished my app last night and sent it in so we'll see. I don't have much that's stock-ish, but I guess if it brings in some spending money here or there I could make an effort. I mainly take pics for my own enjoyment and blogging so I don't have to be really careful about compression and the quality of the photo at 100%. It was hard to find 3 photos to submit for an app because everything shot on ALL of my previous cameras was automatically out b/c of size and compression.

Which flash do you use? I just got the SB400 last week. It's cheap, very light and easy to carry around, but I'm not sure if it can give me what I really want.

Oh, and I got the 18-200mm VR II last summer. Save up, it's worth every penny.

I use that flash too. Lately I only use flash indoors for family snapshots and pics of the dogs messing around, so this far I don't need anything more, and it's infinitely better than the pop-up flash anyway. Most of the stuff I do for enjoyment is outdoors in good light (I won't be out looking for bugs in the pouring rain or at dusk) so I'd rather save for lenses than the SB-900 or something like that.

Do you use a softbox with your flash? I have one, but haven't bothered to put it on yet. I'm still dissatisfied with what I've taken with the SB400, but as with my previous experiences in Nikon products, that's probably just because I don't know how to use it yet.

I have one but haven't really used it yet. I tested it on/off with the flash at a few different angles, it didn't really make much difference. The only time I really use the flash is indoors in my house. My "living room" is this horrid veneer panelling, and of course up until the past week or so it's been dark when I get home from work so I have NO natural light to speak of. When I point the flash at the ceiling it seems to give the illusion of there being light in the room. In post processing I often lighten the picture a tad more and decrease the saturation b/c it looks over saturated when I lighten it. This way I use it to take shots of my show dog being stacked, for feedback on his progress. I've also used it for a few indoor macros. For example last night I was taking some macro shots of some spots on my dog's neck that I wanted to show the vet or breeder. So, most of my use with the flash is not really for my photography as a hobby, just more practical indoor stuff.

Stuff like this. Could be better in a lot of respects but it's just a snapshot for blogging, not anything I plan to frame.
3249545718_18eb69e97c.jpg

By contrast this is the same spot as above, but with the pop-up flash.
2967425109_17ae1f3414.jpg

If I had a baby or kids and planned to do a lot of indoor shots that I wanted as keepsakes, I might invest in something a little better. But for my use and the price I paid, I'm happy with it. I originally bought it b/c I broke the pop-up flash on the D40x and it's a borrowed camera, but I don't think the owner cares so I can keep my flash.

Where did you order your camera from?

A bunch of people (hobbyists and pro photographers) recommended B&H Photo Video so I used their site. They had the accessories and the warranty I wanted. There were some deals online that are just too good to be true, has to be grey market stuff.

A bunch of people (hobbyists and pro photographers) recommended B&H Photo Video so I used their site. They had the accessories and the warranty I wanted. There were some deals online that are just too good to be true, has to be grey market stuff.

I will check it out. I am still in the market for a Canon Rebel. I want to buy the body only since I already have lenses.

I am looking at the site, do you have any opinions about used cameras?

Lies, what macro adapter are you using?

I use a Raynox 150 snap on. My boss (who has been a semi-pro photog for years) recommended it b/c it takes good pics for the price, and being a snap-on it worked with my point-and-shoot cameras and now with my DSLR. It just clips on to the end of the lens, works best with a telephoto lens (in fact if the angle is too wide, you will get vignetting). Very easy on and off. There's also a 250 which is even better for bugs' eyes and stuff like that.

3325938918_34199cb1a0.jpg

The DOF with it on my 55-200 is almost TOO shallow, I need more practice to be really accurate (or start actually using my tripod and manual focus). I took some pics of a fabric to experiment. I can't wait for more bugs to come out so I can try it on this lens!
3313208912_7fb6497219.jpg

I will check it out. I am still in the market for a Canon Rebel. I want to buy the body only since I already have lenses.

I am looking at the site, do you have any opinions about used cameras?

Which Rebel are you looking at (XT, XTi, XSi)? I've been wanting the XSi but I'm afraid I'll have to settle for the XTi because of the price tag. I think buying a used camera is an excellent way to go. Just keep two things in mind. Buy from a repetable dealer and you might have upgrade the internal software inside the camera (not hard to do).

Which Rebel are you looking at (XT, XTi, XSi)? I've been wanting the XSi but I'm afraid I'll have to settle for the XTi because of the price tag. I think buying a used camera is an excellent way to go. Just keep two things in mind. Buy from a repetable dealer and you might have upgrade the internal software inside the camera (not hard to do).

Well that is part of my problem. I can't decide on what I want, which is why I have been slow on buying one. I don't really know what features I want. I am also hesitant on buying a digital SLR because I am worried that as soon as I buy one and better model will come out with a lower price point. That shit always happens to me. When I bought my Cannon EOS Rebel (35mm) in April of 2002, the digital model came out a month after I bought mine and it was cheaper than the model I purchased. :angry:

I want a nice camera to take with my to Europe in the Fall.

I know what you mean. The XTi came out around during the Fall of '06. So that means it has been around for a few years but it's still definitely a viable choice for someone who wants to start out in Digital Photography. I personally know of VERY good photographers who still use a XTi (with a very good lens). The XSi just came out and is very impressive. However I know myself enough to realize that I will not use it to it's capacity to warrant the $800 (body only) price tag.

Sorry Lies for hijacking your thread :)

I know what you mean. The XTi came out around during the Fall of '06. So that means it has been around for a few years but it's still definitely a viable choice for someone who wants to start out in Digital Photography. I personally know of VERY good photographers who still use a XTi (with a very good lens). The XSi just came out and is very impressive. However I know myself enough to realize that I will not use it to it's capacity to warrant the $800 (body only) price tag.

Sorry Lies for hijacking your thread :)

These are all very good points. :up:

Lies, I am your cool camera arrived. Can't wait to see the photos.

The XSi just came out and is very impressive. However I know myself enough to realize that I will not use it to it's capacity to warrant the $800 (body only) price tag.

It's $589 on amazon. I think they come out with new rebels every year or so, and the xsi has been out almost a year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom