Bought an LCD and my ps3 and wii looked better on old TV wtf?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I changed the settings from the regular 4:3 ratio to 16:9 on both the wii and the ps3. I really don't know what else to tweak. I've tweaked everything I could on the tv itself but it looked a lot better on my Sony trinitron vega. Why does it look smudgy?

Oh I'm using the regular yellow white and red cables.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Oh I'm using the regular yellow white and red cables.

That could be your problem right there...

I'm not an expert but I have heard you should be using S-Video connections or if available HDMI - I think the PS3 has this...

Think of the PS3 as a fine German sports car, your LCD TV as the Autobahn and your cables as your tires... Don't use crappy tires.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Got it. The PS3 games look amazing. I still think that old DVD's look a lot granier than with a regular TV set.
Yeah, the regular old DVDs are in standard definition, so when you play them on your HDTV, the images are basically just increased in size and you can see the fuzzyness of standard definition and blocky DVD compression artifacts.

Now that the high-definition format wars are over, I would try renting a couple Blu-Ray discs (the PS3 plays them), and if you like the quality improvement then buy them in place of regular DVDs in the future.

I bought Ocean´s 13 in Blu Ray a while ago. It looks great. :up: I asked around and apparently you have to lower tha ratio to 4:3 on both the TV and the player so it won´t look as stretched. :shrug:

Sony Trinitron Vegas were awesome! Except for being heavier than hell, there were great.

How does the Wii look now? I plug my Wii into my receiver with the supplied RCA cables and then my receiver goes to my Samsung LCD with Component cable (blue, green and red). It looks great.

Does the PS3 upconvert old DVDs? If not, buy a cheap upconverting DVD player. No reason to switch over to all BluRay yet if you already own the movies.

Mark

Hmmm, because of the TV's resolution the old DVD's look somewhat granier but it's not that bad. The PS3 is suppossed to upscale old DVD's but I really don't see the difference.

I haven't bought the component cables for my Wii but I will soon because it looks smudgy with the regular cables that are supplied.

Back
Top Bottom